Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

"TAR" Analysis and General Discussion

ff174   

Okay. I'll start. I am so excited about HTs decision to spotlight the Best! Reality! Show! Ever!

I have nothing to say specifically other than the fact that I did not know the teams had been revealed, until I saw these brand spanking new threads.

I encourage all to join in the fun; not only for TAR, but also Survivor.

I like that there seems to be no true "alpha male" team this year. We have the usual crop of beauty pageant contestants and such, but an emphasis on parent/child teams, friends and fewer dating couples - always a recipe for disaster. There are more of the friends groups, which I enjoy, because if I ever ran the race, it would be with my best friend. Knowing each other's strengths and weaknesses, overcoming the tiredness that lends itself to bitchiness and poor decision making are friend skills and these groups should do well. Those uber professionals and really smart people may overthink things, leading to their demise. Who knows? But so far, I like the cast overall fairly well, with little initial pre-show hate. Of course, after 5 minutes, that will change. But, it's nice to be in my happy place for now.

Sardonic   

I agree, actually. This cast (despite the trio of Big Strong Guy and his Hairstylist Girlfriend teams) does appear to have more variety than just the young photogenic dating couple teams. Remember the first couple of seasons where there were few if any of those teams cast? I do think they're trying to stack the deck so as to increase the likelihood of a team of two women winning (no teams of two brawny athletic young guys that can coast on sheer physical ability even if they are as dumb as rocks) as well as some teams of women that seem on paper like they could be genuine contenders as opposed to cannon fodder that only last a few legs.

Tsylyst   

According to my DVR, and stuff I've read elsewhere,

the first leg flies from Gloucester, Mass., to London, England. And the team that comes in first wins something that's new this season (I've read on other sites that this is a pass of some sort that lets them skip a task of their choosing later on in the race).

Also, the first episode is 90 minutes long and starts at 8:30 after a new "60 Minutes," which is preceded by football...so it will probably start late.

Mine had the same description, FWIW, and as to the speculation you mentioned

It's also been speculated that it would work similarly to the old Fast Forward, except it doesn't involve a special task in order to be earned. This may signal the end of the Fast Forward as an element of the game as it eliminates the cost to produce the FF tasks,

For a program that is winning Emmy's, you'd think CBS could put it at a time when we could count on it being on. Hate when I DVR it because I have to also tape a few programs beyond to make sure I'm getting the whole program.

Worth it, though. This is my all time FAVORITE show.

I'm not sure if I'm posting this or just replying to another post. First timer. (posting virgin as it were.....)

Shannon   

Not to go off topic,but Big Brother is a pain in the ass that way, it starts right up then ends sooner than time slot it's in. That just really messes up catching all of it.

Sophy   

TAR is going to be 20 minutes late tonight due to football -- just an FYI for DVR'ers.

Edited by Sophy

For tonight, from CBS Eye-lert

Revised start times for tonight's CBS programs: 60 Minutes (7:47pm ET), Amazing Race (8:47pm ET) and Undercover Boss (10:47pm ET) due to CBS Sports live coverage of the NFL.

Shannon   

Thanks Copsister for the great laughs in the show recap!

Regarding Nat/Kate:

I've had one as high as 883 before and lived, so blood glucose levels aren't like instant death, but yeah she was really in need of a shot of insulin.

Who the hell hasn't heard of Stonehenge? Even morons must have went to school. I can see them not paying attention and all but never heard of it.

I wanted someone to yell up to the Monty Python extras something about the Holy Grail, it would have been so fitting.

Edited by lurker