I have new found respect for him but I love me some douche bag reality show contestants. I loved Fairplay. I loved me some Survivor Russell (the fan's choice as best player of survivor All-Stars, BTW). Matt has some big shoes to fill but throwing the wife under the sick bus is a good start.

And wearing the saboteur's cami into the DR is moving along in the right direction. He'll be totally crazed and delusional in no time.

Matt can't even compare to Russell. Telling people your wife is sick is just asking for karma to bite you in the ass.

Minxy   

I know it's twisted but the fake sick wife story kinda made me like him more. I agree though that it could become a liability down the line. It all depends on who's left and the relationships.

I have new found respect for him but I love me some douche bag reality show contestants. I loved Fairplay. I loved me some Survivor Russell (the fan's choice as best player of survivor All-Stars, BTW). Matt has some big shoes to fill but throwing the wife under the sick bus is a good start.

STAMP all of that. With permanent ink. It's all about what gets you further in the game - all bets are off. Matt's using the tools at his disposal - deceit and sympathy. Well played, for now.

hefgypsy   
I agree that this has hurt his game, but I don't see Matt going this week. Lane, Krysten, Hayden, Enzo and Regan have all said multiple times that they are keeping him and that Monet absolutely needs to go this week. Five solid votes: That's all he needs, and he does have them. Heck, even ANDREW said earlier that he was giving him his vote (but he might have been lying.)

I really like watching this kid overthink himself into a corner. He's super smart, but he's making the classic BB mistake of thinking that everyone else is playing with the same logic he's using. And the lie about his wife being sick (just revealed in tonight's show) is silly. People are more likely NOT to bring him to final two if he has a "real" reason to win the money. I can hear it now : "Matt's wife is sick, he'll get sympathy votes. Let's vote him off while we have the chance."

A real Johnny Fairplay move. I DON'T like it!

ladyjane   

From Wikipedia's Melorheostosis page:

The disease received an unexpected promotion during Big Brother 12 (U.S.) when contestant Matt announced that his wife was suffering from the disease and that he was competing to fund her surgery; his wife, however, does not have the disease, and Matt's claim was intended only to earn sympathy within the game.

Awwww how nice! Matt is now achieved his lifetime bragging rights about being listed in Wickipedia.

Edited by tooletta

I can't believe nobody has called BS on Matt for his nonsense excuse that he volunteered to go on the block so he wouldn't have to vote. That is ridiculous and nobody questions it! I love it. The game is to vote each week what's the problem super genius?

I have to admit that Matt's outlandish fib about his wife gets a pass from me, largely because it seemed like he at least attempted to do some research and make the story sound plausible, which is way more than most liars do. I'll stamp the effort, if not the content.

mewmom30   
Telling people your wife is sick is just asking for karma to bite you in the ass.

Thank you tootiredto - My thoughts exactly!

jerrye25   

I don't get it. I like him, I wanna root for him but I don't know what he's doing. I thought his main targets for Brendon and Rachel so his idea is to put neither of them up. He puts up Andrew, who doesn't seem to be on anyone's team and Kathy, who early on doesn't exactly seem like a threat to win anything.

He talked all last week about how they were the power couple and they should be broken up, he's the next one to have the chance and his idea is to strike a deal with them???? Remember what happened last time he struck a deal with them...they called a house meeting to try to out him for something.

Maybe he's gonna try to backdoor one but if you want one of them out, just put both of them up, at least then there's a guarantee that one of them is up when it's time to vote.

I don't understand his strategy. I want to root for him but I'm reserving judgment to see what happens. I feel like by the time his week ends, I'll be hating him.

I guess I'm down to rooting for Britney v Kristen in the end. Maybe they can mud wrestle for the $500,000.

I agree, why in the world did he not put up Brendon and Rachel?? Maybe he thought that now is not the time for a power play, but what if ogg forbid Rachel or Brendon wins POV? I am not happy.

Well, there's a few reasons I think Matt did what he did:

-he made a deal with Ragan (so that Ragan would drop) not to put either Rachel or Brendon up - this way, Ragan would not be thrown under the bus with Brendon or Rachel (everyone knows they made a deal - since they sent everyone else back in the house towards the end of the comp)

-during that deal, he informed Ragan that Matt would put Brendon or Rachel up as the POV replacement if someone gets vetoed, appeasing the majority of the house, and still leaving Ragan in Brendon and Rachel's good graces

-not nominating Brendon and rachel straight away greatly diminishes Brenchel's chances of even competing in veto, opening things up for a backdooring situation

-most of the HG's, if they were to win veto (Andrew or Kathy themselves, Enzo, Lane, Hayden, Kristen...even Britney would take one of them off) would most likely veto one of the current noms, so that the backdooring could take place

Risky? Yes. But if it works, Matt has not pissed anyone off (except the remaining half of Brenchel) and has successfully broken them up.

Sidhe   

jerrye25

If I had to guess, I'd say that Matt wouldn't have agreed with Ragan to put Andrew up if his spidey sense wasn't telling him that Andrew's not who he says he is either. I'd also bet Matt's smart enough to see the demands of orthodoxy as an asset that gives Andrew a measure of objectivity that all of the other players have since lost to immersion--which would make it easier for him to detect Matt's maneuvering. And, lastly, I can't remember if he was around for it, but I'll bet he's vaguely aware of both Brandon and Kristen treating Andrew as a player in need of their protection.

Anyway, it makes sense to me that Andrew would have flagged with Matt as being too smart of be in this game with him if not directly aligned with him.

Those are all decent enough reasons Just Kimmie. I still would have put Brandon up with Andrew though.

Nominating Kathy seems like pussyfooting around while telegraphing a back-door intention. And it serves to further alienate her, when an inroad to favorable voting might have been gained instead. Everybody can guess what's up, why not make it harder for the house to jack up your play? Look for the damned-if-they-do-damned-if-they-don't play and go for it.

If Brendon went up and won, he could have saved himself and risked losing Rachel. If Rachel won she could save "her man" and risk taking his place on the block (I think. Right?). Or either could win, leave nominations the same but forcing them to jump through those hoops would have created real tension between them and powered them down.

It just seems like people don't have a lot of pull as HOH, after these nominations are made. The replacement nomination process is too easily exploited by the social game which can make it too reactive for my taste.

The way these things usually go, Kathy will be the one voted out on Thursday and Matt's opportunity to shed a formidable threat is completely wasted on someone playing possum 'cause she can't marshal the resources to do anything else. Meanwhile, the real threats (all of them) have the benefit of insight into Matt and the ones he hesitated to paint a bright target on this week are being spurred on by indignation when they should be weaker for the experience.

Edited to add: Part of Matt's calculus may be to leave open the possibility that the house will tie his hands into leaving Brendon and Rachel intact so that Hayden and Kristen won't get froggy too soon.

If he actually follows through with putting Brendon up to be back-doored, he's just winging it and making it sound good after the fact because Rachel's actually got the better game clarity and social skills of the two and I don't see how her presence benefits his game in the long run. But if the Brendon mention is a feint and he puts Rachel up instead, he found a less confrontational way to split the pair and weaken Kristen's hand in drawing Hayden safely away from the Brigade--which guarantees his survival for the next week or two. So I wouldn't be shocked if he was lying about meaning to back-door Brendon.

Edited by Sidhe

jerrye25   

Seriously Matt, I don't quite dislike you yet but your arrogance is starting to get on my last nerve.

Edit: Although it really seems that from her letter she is playing along with the disease, which could make her the best wife ever!

Edited by jerrye25