Tsylyst

Diary Room - Off-Topic Discussion

AVorlon   

Sorry to hear that this is the worst year of your life, Angel. I'm  sure you're not the only one, what with people losing their jobs and businesses, not to mention losing loved ones.  This year  will be remembered in history as the worst in modern times.

Maybe a little BB all-stars will help.  

tlh9   

First of all I want to thank everyone for their kind words and thoughts following the death of my Aunt.

I also wish to extend my sincere condolences and sympathy to my fellow HT'ers who have been going through rough times -- and to echo the feelings of elizabethann and krb428 and others who expressed how they care about our little community here and the well-being of it's members.

I've got good news, and then devastating news.....

The good news first:  I graduated (with honors) with a bachelor's in Computer Science on July 13th!  Even though the whole ceremony was 'virtual' it was still a nice day and our CS graduating class had a zoom after-party.

The devastating news:  I lost my Sheltie, Mr. Sawyer, on July 9th.  I knew he had a chronic condition; I did not know that it had advanced to the point that I was about to lose him.  The vet clinic -- where we've gone for a long time to see our beloved Dr. D -- let me take my mask off to kiss my baby boy goodbye.  By the time I got there he was clearly on his way out (although we helped him along so no more suffering) ..... but at one point he "came to", put his head up, looked right into my eyes, put his paw/arm on my arm, and then settled back in again.  I about lost it, but, held it in til he was gone.  I didn't want his last memory of me to be me sobbing.

So I am very, very excited for a season of BB to take my mind off of things while I search for a new job in something Computer Science-y.  I don't care how bad it is, I want and need the distraction.

MrsGryn   

Aww, sorry for the loss. It feels extra-hard with the way this year has gone.

Good luck on the job hunt. And yes, BB will be bad, whenever it lands. 

krb428   

tlh9, I'm so happy about your good news!! That is excellent, and I'm strangely proud of you, even though we don't really know each other! Good on you. That's a fantastic accomplishment, and we need more women in STEM fields for sure.

(And I'm equally sad to hear your other news; I'm sure he was the best boy. Eeesh, they get right inside your heart, don't they? There's nothing like the bond we share with our pets. I hate the end of these relationships, but we always know it's part of the contract... doesn't make it any easier, unfortunately. Be good to yourself.)

tlh9   

Thank you, everyone.

And @krb428 they most certainly do -- just right on in there.  They only break your heart that one time, and even then they don't mean to!

I also love your comment about feeling proud even though you don't really know me -- isn't it kinda odd and cool how we can build a little "community" like that over things like this?  haha!  I like it.

Also -- there were actually quite a few females who graduated with me!  Still by far majority males, but, there was (trying to count in my head) 8 or 9 of us, out of the 45 in our class!  Not bad indeed, for CS.  Also, we had two incredibly brilliant and very effective (and enjoyable) women professors who hold doctorates -- one in CS, and the other in Math; and latter also having a Master's in CS.  They were an inspiration!

tlh9   

118980587_10218933933403444_762558190955

Hey everyone, keep us in your thoughts here..... that is what it looks like out our picture window (ignore the reflection of the kitchen in the middle there, hahaha)
there are fires all around, like 40-45 minutes away from here (Willamette Valley of Oregon) ..... several towns in the Santiam Canyon have already burned.

the only comfort is that the Red Cross designated the State Fairgrounds as the "safe" evacuation spot -- where everyone is running TO..... the state fairgrounds are two blocks to the east of our house, so, hopefully, we should be safe, too!!  They are taking people and animals of all kinds since they have the livestock barns and etc for the state fair.

You can smell the smoke inside our house, there is ash all over outside, and the scary part is we are still having "historically gusty winds" for this time of year and super-low humidity.  It has been orange outside all day!!

Magpie   

Get yourself to the shelter and stay safe! (I guess one plus is that you don't have to worry about missing anything exciting happening on Big Brother while you are at the Fairgrounds!)

krb428   

tlh9, that must be so unnerving. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Girl, you have had a year. I hope things take an upswing for you very soon!