Tsylyst

Diary Room - Off-Topic Discussion

Shannon   
Posted (edited)

So sorry to hear about your Aunt Mary.  Times like this are so very hard.  “Hug” 

I finally met the brain surgeon who saved my life. I don’t have any memories of her.  She said I came in on Dec. 15th so septic that didn’t think they could save me.  I was not able to have surgery until Jan. 8th I was much worse off than I knew about.  Not meaning to talk about myself all the time, but I am learning as I go along. 

Edited by Shannon
To thank everyone

MrsGryn   

If anyone has earned the right to talk about themselves, it's you, Shannon.

In this time of quarantine, it's important to have a space like this to talk about our health and losses.  I don't know any of you personally, but many of you feel like family. 

Shannon, when you were away from HT, people were worried and asked about you.  A. Lot.  tlh9 , a lot of us feel like we knew your beloved aunt through your posts.  

We're all feeling a little frightened, a little frustrated, and maybe a little alone.  Keep sharing, everyone.  I care about you.

AVorlon   

Just got some Chinese take-out Friday evening, and they had the new barriers up, just like the grocery store and the local convenience store. If your job is to install plexiglass, business is booming.  

Also, I was trying to support my local Chinese place, but from what I saw they seem to have more business than ever.  

AVorlon   

It totally pissed me off yesterday when I got an email from someone trying to extort money from me.   They wanted two thousand dollars in bitcoin, or they were going to release compromising videos of me to my Facebook friends and work collogues. This is a scam, so don't fall for it.  The main reason I knew that was because  they said they had activated my web cam to film me, but there is NO WEB CAM HERE.

Its a very sad state of affairs when everyone needs to work together and act with kindness towards one another, while other assholes are trying to extort money from potentially jobless and grieving people. 

Posted (edited)

One of the most frustratingly sad things about my mom’s Alzheimer’s dementia:

She’s never had to do anything to earn my affection, but for the past several years— and more intensely as time passes— every she effort she makes to do so only results in the opposite reaction.

While her intent is to be a material benefit born from her affection, she cannot see— much less fathom— the context in which her actions cause more problems than the benefit she intended.

And because Alzheimer’s is degenerative, she can neither understand, nor adapt, nor ever be able to.

My well of affection for her is getting depleted by her genuine efforts to fill it.

On top of that, the COVID19 social protocols means no day program in the foreseeable future to provide much-needed mental breaks from the non-stop caregiving.

I hope my family and I can stay healthy, and that the crisis ends sooner rather than later, because if either of my parents contract the virus, the chances are that an ambulance would be the last time I see them alive due to hospital and coroner protocols. An abrupt and inadequate goodbye. And so much regret to process.

Edited by ShyLurkerGuy
grammar glitches

Shannon   

On the 12th my left index finger was amputated just about in the middle. It’s short and sore and slowly healing. It has these stitches that stick up and it looks like a balding troll doll. 

I so want to see my family sigh but we are still in lockdown. It’s long days of being in bed or sitting in my wheelchair. I have a roommate who is weird and cries for attention (fake crying) and yells at the workers who walk by our door. She’s so annoying.  She lies all the time like she claims she had a tumor and brain surgery, stolen from me, she had a stroke. She says this stuff right in front of me. I thought maybe it was the stroke, thought she was confused, but no, she just rude and nuts and knows full well what she is doing. 

She wants the door open at night, I want it shut. The lights in the hallway are bright all night.  She told the staff that she is having nightmares on nights that was my turn to have the door shut. It’s not dark in here, and shutting the door keeps it quiet.  No she has to have her way, so the door is open. She wanted to be in my space so one day they shoved my bed, with me in it and moved me across the room.  I was pissed told them so. Now she wants my bed, so far she hasn’t gotten that. 

Okay, sorry, needed to vent. They just gave me a pain pill so hopefully that will put me to sleep. 

MrsGryn   

Give the pain pills to your roomie. Sure, you'll be hurting but at least she will shut up for a little while.

In all seriousness, always glad to hear from you. 

SLuG, I'm so so sorry you are dealing with what you are going through with your parents. I cannot imagine how difficult this is especially with the lockdown and social distancing. 

krb428   
On 4/9/2020 at 11:06 AM, elizabethann said:

Shannon, when you were away from HT, people were worried and asked about you.  A. Lot.  tlh9 , a lot of us feel like we knew your beloved aunt through your posts. 

I echo this on both counts. I'm sorry to read this news (but happy you shared, of course). Shy, that sounds like a really tough situation, and I feel for you. 

No word yet as to whether BB22 will happen? I know nothing; anyone know more than that?

Magpie   

They aren't doing casting calls, but were accepting online applications until casting closed. The show is able to be pretty flexible, so I imagine we'll see a BB22 this year, though it may not (likely won't) start in June. They could delay the start date or go for a shorter season, something like that. 

Remember the writers' strike? We got a delayed BB9 that year. I figure this year will be similar, though hopefully with a less disgusting cast. 

krb428   

Oh, god. Yes, I do remember that ick season. Thanks for bringing that back.

CBS quarantines the cast members regularly anyway; why not extend it to two weeks to ensure a healthy cast? For a half mil, plenty of people would quarantine alone in a hotel in California, I'd think. I wonder if CBS could swing it and have the producers/skippies interact with them behind the scenes really safely. Seems like this could be done. Think of how (extra) obnoxious the entire cast would be after being pent up for 14 days in solitary, then entering the BB house. I'd watch that. Especially if they gave them booze.

Magpie   

I'm thinking the real concern will be safety of the crew. The hammies will be safe enough locked up inside, but the crew has to come and go and presumably interact with outsiders now and then for one thing or another. 

krb428   

Well, I really hope they figure it out and quickly. As much as I hate this show, I also love this show and don't want to spend the summer without it. /selfish rant

angelmi   

So sorry Slug and Shannon.  Lost my grandpa to it and then he was such a religious man that his pain cry was oh my. I was wearing a dress and standing in the window when his angel came to take him away and he grabbed hold of my skirt and my dad and Uncle couldn’t get his hand to let go he was crying for his mama.  Sorry Shannon about your finger I sure hope it’s well now and your roommate is better,  yes this virus is something else specially all the people that’s dying because they’re older in a nursing home.  we all do need big brother back this summer just because this has been the worst year of my life.