Tsylyst

Diary Room - Off-Topic Discussion

Shannon   

Oh goodness mockingbird, I hope you are better soon. 

I am in a nursing home in North Carolina and it is crazy here. I had pneumonia two weeks ago, most the people in my hall had it. They kept us in our rooms and they just let us out Tuesday to be shut back in the next day. The second someone has a fever they worry it’s the virus, it is scary. None of my family can visit. 

(Hug)

All I can say is everyone needs to be extra aware of their health. I found out yesterday someone I've known since kindergarten is hospitalized, sedated, and on a vent. She has Cororna and double pneumonia. She'll be 43 soon, if I remember right her birthday is around Mother's Day. She was being super careful, her son was born with a heart condition, and she used to be a nurse. So in theory, she should have been the last person the get sick. But from the sounds of it, the symptoms hit her really fast. She was just posting on Facebook last week and was perfectly fine as far as she knew. 

Thanks, Shannon.  It sounds like you've had a much rougher time than I have.  Not being able to see your family when you've been so ill just sucks.  (Hugs right back)

Nixie, I'm so sorry about your friend.  I hope she recovers soon.  This virus is so awful and unpredictable.

AVorlon   

Just went to the grocery store on Saturday, and it was fairly crowded, with all the employees wearing gloves and some of them wearing masks. Still a lot of items that are not in stock, and a lot of bare shelves everywhere .  Some of it is hoarding, and some of it is simply because you need more groceries when everyone is home because of the lockdown. 

Most of the shoppers seemed to be keeping their distance, and I only saw one guy with a shopping cart that was totally filled with toilet paper. May you get a raging case of diarrhea and actually need all that. 

So sorry for everyone who is sick, the health workers who are trying to do their best,  and all the people who have lost their jobs.  

MrsGryn   

Shannon, I'm glad you checked in. I was thinking about you in the nursing home the other day, so it is good to hear from you.

On Friday, I took a long drive to be out of the house and see something different. Ended up at a very obscure historical marker way off the beaten path (had to go down a long dirt road then hike a quarter mile to get there). It was lovely to be outside, to not have anyone else around, but also sobering. 

Stopped at a grocery store on the way home. It was brisk business. They had people stationed outside wiping down the carts with cleaning solution before pushing the cart toward customer. The workers had gloves, I saw a couple of masks. There were exactly ZERO paper products and only a few cleaners, stuff like toilet gel, nothing else. However, I found hamburger which has been scarce, so I was happy.

Weirdly, I could not find the spreadable butter (Land o' Lakes w/ Canola) that I like. Very little tub butter in fact. Got regular old sticks instead. 

On 3/28/2020 at 11:34 PM, Mockingbird said:

Thanks, Shannon.  It sounds like you've had a much rougher time than I have.  Not being able to see your family when you've been so ill just sucks.  (Hugs right back)

Nixie, I'm so sorry about your friend.  I hope she recovers soon.  This virus is so awful and unpredictable.

Hang in there, @Mockingbird - drink PLENTY of fluids, like until your belly is constantly swishing.  It could help your headaches which may be from dehydration.  

And, because we could all use a laugh, yesterday I ran out for curbside pickup of dog food at the pet supply store and three young adult guys walked out to the parking lot while we waited.  One was holding a small white goat which was wearing a disposable diaper.  Now that's not something you see every day!

Hahaha...  No pictures??

I am drinking until my belly swishes.  Heh.  I'm also drinking gross hot water with ginger, lemon, and honey.  Today is day 8.  Last night I started to feel like I was getting sicker again, but this morning everything is under control and I don't feel too bad.

Just like BB season - "drinking until my belly swishes"!!

Glad to hear today is better than yesterday.  Praying that's a trend for you in the days to come.  

Shannon   

We ran out of milk here, no deliveries have shown up.  We are totally relying on delivery people who trying to stay safe themselves.

i got to go out yesterday for a pre-opt appointment, it was so beautiful outside. The trees are full of white or pink flowers and there are bushes everywhere that have lavender colored flowers, just lovely.  It was warm and sunny, I loved it.  But then you wonder about the virus, sobers you up. 

I have to have my left index finger amputated, it turned black during surgery and the tip died.  Not looking forward to that but better than losing my hand or worse.  

tlh9   

omg, Shannon & MockingBird!!  lots of positive thoughts for both of you, and for Nixie's friend.

I just found out earlier today that my Aunt Mary -- the one I often mention here because we watch all these shows together and have for 20 years, and who is my Momma's little sister and became like a "surrogate mom" to me after my Momma died back in 1999 -- anyway earlier today I found out she is dying.  

She'd been having a severe flare-up with her ulcerative colitis, then got c-diff infection, and diverticulitis, and bed-sores, and thrush..... she'd been in the hospital for over a week, then in a rehab place for three weeks, then came home for a few days (just this past Thursday) but went down-hill FAST, and was back in the hospital this past Sunday.

Then she stopped answering my texts Monday, and I was finally able to get ahold of her daughter/my cousin (who is an RN) Wendy, and she told me that Mary had gone septic, and her kidneys are failing, and she's on some constant dialysis treatment (i think she called it CRRT), is unconsious, is very weak, and not likely to recover.  If that treatment they are doing now does not work -- the CRRT -- and right now it's not looking good -- then they're gonna call it. 

The hospital allowed her husband and Wendy in last night to say good-bye.  Her husband has just had a severe stroke in November and has just regained most of his walking ability (although still unsteady) and can still only minimally speak.

So it looks like my BB/Survivor/TAR-watching companion -- plus of course "2nd mom" and very close friend -- will be gone soon.  And I can't go visit, they won't let me in.

tlh9 I'm so very sorry to hear about your aunt. I know you two have a very special and close relationship. You are in my thoughts. 

tlh9   

My Aunt Mary passed away last night.  Watching TV together was our thing, it's gonna be hard to watch "our shows" without her.  She never missed a single second of a single Survivor episode since the very first one, until of course this past week.  

With everything going on, my cousin Wendy (Mary's daughter) was able to get Mary's husband John in to see her just before she died and he was with her.  They'd had their 50th anniversary in November.

MrsGryn   

So sad for you, especially during this trying time when everything is so uncertain and doesn't work in the "usual" way. *hugs*