Tsylyst

Diary Room - Off-Topic Discussion

Just checking in. I’ve been more engaged in chat than here on the forums lately.

My dad’s in the hospital undergoing long overdue dialysis.

Skipping over most of the ongoing background old-man–man-child background drama, on Saturday he got scared by his inability to take in air (which seemed to come on— tho less severely— during the first multi-day stretch of below 15F/-10C temps, so he thought it was due to the severe cold and assumed it would get better when the weather got warmer) and FINALLY agreed to go the ER. I told him I thought it was related to the kidney disease he was in denial of having, and made sure before going that he committed to getting dialysis if that’s what the doctors recommended (on a previous ER visit, he decided to go home rather than undergo dialysis).

It was fluid in his lungs. Actually excess fluid throughout his body. And his blood protein numbers were dangerously 9x normal. Major symptoms of late kidney diseases.
[SMH emoji]. Fortunately, the blood chemicals that might have triggered a heart attack in other kidney disease patients were far below those levels.

He got admitted and is going through a week of daily dialysis from gentle to normal to get his body used to the process which will be ongoing for the rest of his life (though they’ll also trying to determine if he’s eligible for a kidney transplant down the road). He could have spared himself having a central line dialysis put in if he had agreed to the process when he was first diagnosed before his symptoms got this bad. He could have gotten an arm implant that’s easier to maintain years ago. Did I mention he’s an old-man–man-child?

Between this and dealing with my mom’s Alzheimer’s (it gets really rough when she gets in a time-concentrated loop of asking the same questions about my dad), I’m completely fried this week.
[bandaged head emoji]

Hopefully I’ll get into the brain space to drop into chat from time to time when the main shows start.

Just gets tough when life gets a whole lot more real than Reality TV.

TBH, the live snark on chat is the only reason I even watch any of our shows anymore.

uaintjak   

Sorry to hear all that is coming down on you and your family.  Don’t feel guilty about enjoying things, it’s the only thing that keeps you sane, and I hope you can always find things that make you laugh

MrsGryn   

Been wondering how you have been doing, SLuG. Glad you checked in and like jak said, don't feel guilty. See you when we can and don't forget about self care. It's vital for anyone who is a caregiver. VITAL. 

SLuG, thanks for letting us know what has been happening. We haven't had many shows lately and know you have a lot of family responsibilities, but don't think we knew your dad needed so much attention. Please take care of yourself along the way. I'll pray for all of you. 

My self care for the past hour+ was watching this on repeat (when it came up in my YouTube suggestions) and having a cathartic cry the whole time: 

ETA: I wondered if it was just the lyrics triggering the tears, so I revisited the Kelly Clarkson version, but nada. Rewatched this version, and the tears came back. Must be my connection to Matt Bomer’s character arc on Doom Patrol (DC Universe) that makes this version a more cathartic touch stone for me.

Anyway, it gave me some mental breathing space, so I thought I’d share in case it could do the same for someone else.

Edited by ShyLurkerGuy

tlh9   

Stay strong, SLuG!  I'm very sorry for all you're going through, i've been in similar circumstances and know how it can make daily life very difficult and be exhausting. 

You're in my thoughts, and I hope your dad is feeling better too.

Shannon   

ISLuG wanted to join in the group hug, wishing you well.  

I haven’t been posting because I’ve been in the hospital since Dec. and in a nursing home since the end of Jan. long story short, they found a brain tumor and took it out.  I was a total invalid and am now learning to move around, walk (hopefully), and think clearly.

Just when you think your life is tough something tougher comes at you.

Edited by Shannon

Magpie   

Wow, Shannon, hope your recovery goes well... and quickly, too! We need your special brand of snark here when the next round of hammies is dropped on us. 

uaintjak   

Glad to see you back, you grouchy old bitch!  I know it will be rough going, but I'm betting on you!  It's good to hear from you Shannon.

MrsGryn   

If getting in shape to snark on the BB idiots isn't motivation for physical therapy, I don't know what is. Welcome back!