Tsylyst

Diary Room - Off-Topic Discussion

tlh9   

Thank you, MrsGryn.  Pets are special, indeed, and Zoey was extra-special among the many beloved doggies i've had in my life.  She's super-missed and everything reminds me of her -- or that she is not here anymore.

MrsGryn   

So I started playing Words With Friends again. One lady I'm playing the game with is from my church. In her 60s, very nice, very proper, but sweet. She just played "Peen." I cannot stop laughing and I cannot tell her why. 

tlh9   

So, I'm excited about this and have this urge to tell like, most anyone and everyone.

Four years ago, I returned to school at a (ahem) "non-traditional" age (40+) to finally follow my dream of being a computer scientist/software engineer.  Where I go, it's a five-year program.  So this September was the beginning of my senior year, and I just last Friday completed the first of the three-term/year-long "Senior Sequence" which is our capstone project.

The first term of Sr. Sq. is notoriously difficult to pass -- so notorious in fact, that the school has re-designed the program for starting with next year's incoming class (of freshmen, so, good for them but still sucks for us) because of the class' well-known "high failure rate".

There were 60 of us in this first term, and there's going to be a lot fewer of us come next term, to continue our senior year.  We had to pass a 5-hour programming/coding final in which we produce a "mini web app", and that is what failed several -- there were also several who didn't even bother to attempt the final because they weren't gonna pass anyway.

Anyhow..... I found out just a couple days ago that I passed!!  And ended up in the upper-tier so far as grades in the class, with a grade of 87% where the class average is 75%.  So I get to continue!!  I was so afraid of not passing, and having to either give up or attend another year, which sucks at any age but let alone a more advanced age (haha!) but I passed and I get to keep going!

This is what I was doing last Wednesday -- our 5-hour programming final was 4pm to 9pm, and our written exam the following morning at 10am -- so I had to catch up on Survivor so I'm ready for tonight's finale!

Before I could actually view it, though, I was here reading MrsGryn's recap -- which is typically better than the actual show anyway.  

(I really am not trying to brag, I'm just really excited, and was astonished as anyone to have passed, ha!)

Edited by tlh9
fixed a typo [=

AVorlon   

Yeah, that's the profession that I've been in for years. When I was in college, the first two courses were designed to weed out  most students . That was a long time ago, but it sounds like the philosophy is still the same.     

tlh9   

Thank you everyone!

@AVorlon, I will have to PM you later.  But yeah -- they just set and announced our project teams for the remainder of the year, just yesterday..... and where 60 of us started out in September, there are only 45 of us continuing after this term -- so a failure rate of 25% this year. 

No one I personally know failed, but a couple came close with a couple errors in the final programming exam -- unlike the real world and all our labs up to that point, we were not allowed to google our errors on the final..... so if you errored somehow you either figured it out yourself or were SOL, and the final programming exam was "live or die" -- it didn't matter how well you'd done in things up to that point, if you didn't pass that final, you were out.

Anyway, thank you everyone!  

AVorlon   

Looking forward to your PM, th9. If I can say anything that's helpful, I would be glad to do it. 

Back in the day there were limited resources on the mainframe computer, so they wanted to limit the number of students who were using it. Thus, only a small fraction of students would be allowed to continue.  That shouldn't be a problem anymore these days.

I'm thinking that if you're paying someone to teach you things, they shouldn't be trying to eliminate you.