Tsylyst

Diary Room - Off-Topic Discussion

tlh9   

Holy crap, that's quite a trip then!!  Poor kitties, I hope they settle in for you okay so you all have a nice trip!

MrsGryn   

Will you be stopping or driving straight through? When we moved our two cats cross country, it was a logistical challenge for sure, but we managed. Some suggestions: each cat needs it's own carrier. Get some Feliway and spray the carrier to help relax them .Also, there are tryptophan chews that mellow the cats out. Our part-Siamese is a nervous nellie and it helped him a bit. We got several disposable litter boxes that we used in the hotel rooms. 

Shannon   

I'm guessing Wayne will hope to drive straight but Kandi will want a break.  I am not sure how to fit three carriers and us.we are going to talk to the vet about something to calm them, but they all cry the entire time they are in a car.  The smallest one is 11 pounds and the biggest is 16 pounds, so no small little kitties lol it would so help if they cuddled together, but no.  I don't, they will figure it out, it is just worrying me, putting them through this. 

Libby starts school Monday, she met her teacher, she said she is the best teacher ever, so cute.  She has some problems in social situations, but so far she has had great teachers.  

Kyara   

I’ve had some experience moving kittens across four states, but not adult cats. Still, I think they’ll do fine. Eventually they’ll get tired of crying and will probably settle down. Congrats and good luck!

MrsGryn   

One of our cats settled down after an hour or so. The other one, who exhibits all the Siamese traits of his (likely) father cried himself hoarse the first day. We resorted to the tryptophan the second day and he did not cry as much but he was still an unhappy kitty. Let's put it this way: We went from Los Angeles, to DC in four days, driving a really old Toyota Corolla. 

They might want to look into a one-way rental. 

Sheri2271, I"m sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine. 

Tlh9, I'm sorry to hear about your puppers. I know it's going to all but destroy me when my cat passes. I'm not married and I don't have kids, so he's my family. 

Shannon, is it possible to split the cats up in two vehicles? Maybe one that gets along with the other 2 the least could be separated for the trip and they would all travel better? A friend of mine had 2 cats, Taco and Itty Bitty. Itty Bitty was a hellion, constantly attacking her and biting.... until Taco died. And then Itty Bitty went from demon cat to the best cat in the world literally over night, so its possible 1 is influencing the behavior of the other 2. Or we were convinced Itty Bitty decided she better get her act together, or she was leaving and never coming home either. As for the stairs in your new house, maybe look into getting a stairlift. I work for a mobility device company in Ohio, we install stair lifts, ramps, that kind of stuff. We are all franchises, but the company it's self was actually started in NC, so I'm sure there's a branch there that could help you out. 

*SIGH* So here’s the reason I wasn’t in chat this evening…

While I was running errands this afternoon, I discovered that my family’s landline was out of service when I called it from my iPhone even though the number was getting incoming phone calls as early as this morning.

I called our provider and apparently a competing provider was authorized to port out the number. The number has been in my mom’s name since the mid-1970s which means that sometime in the past 2 weeks, my mom—with cognitive, memory, and hearing issues—answered the phone and inadvertently authorized the number transfer probably by saying “okay” after everything that a fast-talking predatory telemarketer told her. Which of course she has no memory whatsoever of ever doing.

Since we still have other services with the pre-existing provider and I’m authorized on the account, they were able to put through a transfer back after several departmental transfers to try to find out what happened, but the inter-provider admin process means we won’t have the number back until Friday at the earliest (it’s Tuesday as I type this).

On the upside, our number has a “currently unassigned” message when called, so hopefully we’ll have a drop in robo-callers/telemarketers once we get the number reactivated. Also, the telemarketer for the competing provider won’t get his commission off the deceptive order he put through for my mom.

Edited by ShyLurkerGuy

angelmi   

That is sad Shyguy  since most older people are the only ones with landlines they say seniors are not the most at risk of getting scammed.  I hope it gets fixed and that business gets busted.