Tsylyst

Diary Room - Off-Topic Discussion

Shannon   

Well it looks like I will be moving sometime thid year.  The kids were going to retire here, but my son-in-law decided to go for 22 years, he had 20 years at the end of April, and is being sent to Ft. Bragg in NC.  He was born there and his mother still lives there in Spring Lake.  So they are buying a house in the area, big area, and moving me and the cats there with them and selling this house.  I hope selling this house goes well, but they can always rent it out.  I've never been east of St. Louis, and that was just a weekend visit, this is exciting.  I don't know about leaving the low humidity here, but am looking forward to grass lol. My granddaughter is thrilled, now she can stay home with me instead of having to go everywhere they go :-) her words.  I am not sure when they will move me as their move is taken care of by the Army, but moving me and ALL the stuff in this house plus their other car and the three cats etc. on their dime.  Anyway, I did not see this coming, total surprise, woohoo!

tlh9   

Wow!  Now there's an exciting life change, Shannon!  I love that you're so happy, and I'm happy for you!

You're a better woman than I.  I'd rather join a gym than ever move again.  It's not like this place is so wonderful: but just the physical process that moving entails is more than I can bear.

MrsGryn   

Seriously, EA. We're where we are for another ten years, and then we'll see. I may have all the boxes unpacked from our first four moves by then. 

Shannon, start getting rid of things NOW. Seriously. I cannot stress this enough. 

Shannon   

I hate packing, can't really haul around boxes physically, and while I really only need to pack up my bedroom, it is a big room and I've cluttered in 11 years of stuff.  

I'm packing for a move as well, Shannon, in either late June/early July.  MrsGryn's advice couldn't be more on-point about throwing things away now...even if the move is just your room. 

Other than the kitchen and linen closets, I'm limiting myself to no more than 2 boxes per room outside of furniture and fixtures......plus 5 more "family" boxes which will hold the scaled back heirlooms.  I'm downsizing from a 4-bedroom 2.5 bath plus finished basement colonial to a 2-bedroom 1-bath lakefront cottage having no basement and little storage (it's a cottage - who needed storage when they built this vacation home?).  My goal is to cut my closet/dresser contents by 75% - much of it hasn't been worn in the past year, so I won't even miss it.  Plus, donating the majority of my furniture, clothing and household items will result in a rather hefty tax deduction when I file next year.