MrsGryn

General Drama

So… Supernatural FINALLY ended. As someone who faithfully watched the first 5-season arc, I did appreciate the finale episode: just Sam and Dean and their ultimate fates after a run so long even Jensen Ackles' pretty face couldn't keep me watching. Raising the cosmic stakes just kept getting more ridiculous season after season… I didn't even make it through the season that jumped the Leviathan for me.

I liked that they wrapped up the final cosmic arc in the penultimate episode. I especially really appreciated what a lot of fans on Twitter seemed to absolutely hate: the brothers' final fates were relatively mundane and human but (and the fuming fans seem to miss this) ultimately on their own terms (which was the underlying human theme the final cosmic arc) and in ways that their were completely consistent with who they've remained since season one. I even got misty-eyed. So, yeah, I don't hate the writers, and I don't hate that the only supporting cast cameo was not the one a lot of fans wanted to see.

But as a viewer who popped in and out, especially for meta episodes like Scoobynatural, I got the closure I've been waiting for.

The Dean-Castiel ’shippers need to get over it. I'm too old to get drawn into cynical writers' room gay-baiting. And the writers left it open to possibility even if it didn't get any acknowledgement whatsoever in the finale. I will say I do believe the way Misha played Castiel's final on-screen appearance was for the “Destiel” fans.

• Speaking of TV fantasy with cosmic stakes, I will say I enjoyed The Magicians as someone who didn't read the books. I enjoyed it more past the first season after which it became (for me) more of the Margot-and-Elliot show rather than the mopey-Quentin neurotic-Alice show— though the alternate Elliot-Quentin timeline was a real highlight for me. I guess I'd say the Magicians was to fantasy what Farscape was to sci-fi.

• For all the narrative problems with Discovery, I must say I've gotten attached to several characters: Saru, Tilly, Stamets and Culver, Georgiou, and even new characters Adira and Gray. That Burnham is still a collection of stock narrative elements that hasn't managed a landing to stick is a waste of the actress's talent considering the range she's been given to play but with no satisfying narrative payoff. I'm enjoying season 3 more than the previous seasons now that it's been removed from it's pre-TOS setting to an era where it can become it's own thing the way TNG was.

• Despite space orchids and space mechthulu, Picard did get me the most teary-eyed I've ever been over USB drives getting unplugged.

• Beyond "baby Yoda," I'm really enjoying The Mandalorian, especially now that it's pulling Mando-lore from the animated Clone Wars and Rebels series into live action.

• Anyone watching His Dark Materials? I haven't read the books, but I'm definitely liking the added depth than what was attempted with the Golden Compass movie. Lynn-Manuel Miranda annoys me, though.

• On the shallow end, I watch CW's Pandora and The Outpost to vegetate. They don't seem to take themselves as super-seriously as The 100, which— oof, that series finale and its set-up episodes? Just: oof.

• For December, I'm waiting on The Expanse and the Doctor Who Christmas episode.