MrsGryn

General Drama

uaintjak   
Posted (edited)

Comedy: Parks and Rec, The Office, Kimmy Schmidt, 30 Rock, Community are all super solid.

Schitt's Creek (Netflix) awesome show with awesome stars Catherine O'Hare and Eugene Levy.  Seems like it'll be trite, it isn't

Letterkenny (Hulu) Canadian show about hicks, skids, and hockey players.  Fantastic wordplay and quick wit.

Bojack Horseman (Netflix) kind of a comedy, but also really good insight into depression and self-sabotage

The Good Place (Hulu) surprising and innovative comedy with a truly phenomenal cast

Crazy ex-Girlfriend (Netflix) original musical show about mental health.  Songs are incredible and funny.

SciFi/Fantasy:

The Expanse (on Amazon) first few episodes there's a lot of exposition, fantastic show

Farscape (Amazon) first half of season 1 starts slow but sets the stage for one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

The Witcher (Netflix) can be confusing until you figure out there are three separate time lines, which I have now just told you

The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance (Netflix) maybe puppets aren't your thing, but its family friendly and has a very good run

Black Summer (Netflix) Do you like zombies?  A cool premise.  Mostly good, one stinker episode and the season ending was a little eye-rolling, but mostly solid.

Umbrella Academy (Netflix) great cast, mysterious superhero show.  Lots of cool stuff happening.

The Boys (Amazon) another super hero show, but not the kind you're used to.  Awesome stuff.

Penny Dreadful (Netflix) first season is best, declines a bit after that, last season is meh.  I'd kill for the lead actresses voice in everything.

Drama(ish):

Sex Education (Netflix) funny and interesting, much better than I thought it would be, has made "cockbiter" my new favorite insult

There are more but this was already too long.

*Edited because The Boys is on Amazon, not Hulu

Edited by uaintjak

Magpie   

Thanks for that, jak! I don't have Netflix, but I do have Hulu, so am glad to see some suggestions I can check out. 

uaintjak   
Posted (edited)

Anytime Magpie.  I just saw Barry is available on Hulu.  Dark comedy with Bill Hader who I love.  30 Rock, The Good Place, Letterkenny, Party Down, Difficult People, and The Mick are all great comedies on Hulu, and they have The Handmaid's Tale which I think is really great.

Edited by uaintjak

MrsGryn   

Okay so we just started watching "The Magicians." About four episodes in so far. Is anyone a fan of this show?

Also watched the first episode of "The Last Kingdom" which is based on some Bernard Cornwall books. I like it! 

Tsylyst   

I watched the first season of "The Magicians," but really gave up on it after the first couple episodes. It felt like a chore to watch, and I was not drawn back for the remaining seasons.

I did read enough about it online to know that the ending is a makeshift series finale since it got canceled.

Kyara   

We’ve watched all seasons of The Magicians and I liked them. The cast really grew on me. But, I had to let a lot of things go because I was a huge fan of the books and the series was nothing like the books. 

Tsylyst   

CBS All Access has ordered Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, a spinoff with stars Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprising their Discovery roles as Captain Pike, Spock and Number One, TVLine has learned. The series will follow the trio “in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy,” per the official description.

Yes! They were the best part of "Discovery's" second season for me.

https://tvline.com/2020/05/15/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-discovery-spinoff-pike-spock-number-one/

MrsGryn   

Totally agree about it being the best part of Discovery. Excellent casting with Pike, Spock and Number One.

AVorlon   

I was just looking at the IMDB list of the 250 best TV shows. I've never seen The Sopranos, but maybe it's time. I wasn't interested in a show about organized crime, but maybe I'm missing something..

I would also think I wouldn't be interested in a show about a high school chemistry teacher who starts "Breaking Bad" , but that ended up as #1 on their list, and it was fantastic.    

I loved The Sopranos at the beginning, but I lost interest in the last couple seasons. My mom has asked me no less that 50 times if I watched Breaking Bad... the answer is still no. She loved it though. 

Magpie   

Definitely give "The Sopranos" a try, because there's a lot more to it than just organized crime (though that obviously plays a large part). The characters are great and so is the acting.