MrsGryn

General Drama

gforce   
On 1/30/2020 at 10:40 PM, MrsGryn said:

We made our way through "Discovery." It was...eh. I mean, we did watch both seasons and liked some things, but mostly there was a lot of "Yeah, not Trek." Steven Erickson (of the Malazan books, thank you very much uaintjak) wrote a really good essay on what is wrong with Discovery: Chaos in the Writing Room Definitely worth reading.

Picard - first two episodes have been watched and it is already ten times better than Discovery, even without the weirdass plastick-y looking Klingons. My biggest complaint so far is a Romulan with an Irish accent. It has a sense of urgency, a mission, and a respect for the history of the universe. So far, so good.

The accent didn't really bother me - I just presumed as English would have been a learned language for them that she must have learned it in that environment.  

As far as the haters saying they don't want ST with social commentary, it has almost always been about social commentary.   ST:Picard itself is already heavily influenced by the TNG episode, "Measure of a Man", the commentary of which is as much if not more relevant today than on its original airing.

AVorlon   

I haven't seen any of TNG in ages, but I was thinking the most relevant one was "The Offspring" . S3:ep 16. That was the one where Data constructed a daughter who worked as a bartender on the Enterprise.  It didn't end well for her, but apparently  that was just a first try. 

AVorlon   

I can't believe it's almost time for the season finale of Star Trek:: Picard. It seems like it only just started, and it was so nice to see so many familiar faces again, along with the new ones. There are still a few original people that we haven't seen yet, and I'm hopeful for a second season.

I don't see any reason not to renew it, and I did get a kick out of seven of nine as a kick-ass action figure, even though Jeri Ryan is over 50 years old now. .

Tsylyst   

It was renewed for a second season way back before this one premiered.

Overall, I'd give this season an underwhelming "eh."

MrsGryn   

But it's worlds better than Discovery. We have enjoyed watching Picard, except the Patrick Stewart's acting has been incredibly stiff. 

Tsylyst   

I don't hate it by any means, and I agree that it is far superior to the hot mess of Discovery. But this whole season has so many plot holes you could fly the Excelsior through it if you ever got its warp engines working.

Space orchids jumped the android shark for me. And I don't love that everyone we're running into from back-in-the-day now has some horrible tragedy in their lives to make them a total downer. Riker and Troi had a kid die and left Starfleet, Hugh never got to live a normal life or realize his decades-long mission of freeing the Borg drones, Seven is living as some sort of outlaw and had to kill Icheb (who got, like, two seconds of screen time)?

I know we're living in the world of "Game of Thrones" and "The Walking Dead" and everything needs to be DRAMA DARK DEPRESSING SUSPENSE DANGER -- but I miss Trek that gives hope of a utopian future where people do the right thing and science/exploration is king.

I also miss self-contained episodes. There are great shows that aren't self-contained eps. But that's not what I want from Trek. I want a new mystery/problem each week.

ALSO, in a season that's all about synthetic life -- Picard is flying around in a ship with multiple Emergency Holograms that just sort of get made fun of, shut off because they're annoying or just basically treated like shit. After Voyager spent seven seasons developing that The Doctor (and some other photonics) was a real person, how is it that Picard is all about preserving android life but doesn't give a fig about using holograms like they are just spare parts? And we're supposed to be OK with it? And Seven spent time on that ship and didn't call them out on it? She was one of the biggest proponents of The Doctor being considered a life form.

AVorlon   

Heh, I never thought about treating the holograms like shit, because they're basically just computer programs.  I think the audience is meant to think that they're more sophisticated versions of what they have in their homes right now, and have no consciousness or feelings.

As for plot holes, I was taken aback when Picard used the transport system in the Borg queens room, and it took him directly to Troi and Riker;s estate. That made no sense to me.  

Tsylyst   

That transport system was from an episode of Voyager where the race that created it could send themselves vast distances, so it's one of the few things that made sense to me. (This was the early episode where Seska, Torres and some of the crew tried to steal the technology from the really friendly race that had it, behind the captain's back. It explored how not only did the Voyager crew need to follow Starfleet's Prime Directive in this new area of space, but also needed to honor the laws of the cultures they encountered along their journey home.)

BUT, included with this easter egg in Picard is another one of those bits of tragedy I was talking about: To get the technology, the Borg eventually spread far enough in the Delta Quadrent to assimilate the Sikarians. That's almost all the way to where Janeway and her crew started their journey, meaning all the peaceful races Voyager introduced us to, including the Ocampa and Talaxians, are probably now wiped out or at the very least scattered and living on the run.

I get that the holograms are supposed to remind us of, like, future versions of Alexa. But in Voyager, the term "enslaved" was repeatedly used to refer to service holograms. It's just kind of odd to see Picard so comfortable with that as if zero progress has been made in the decades since Voyager returned home. This is the same man that stood up for the rights of androids, indigenous peoples and so forth during the run of TNG and movies. It makes me wonder what happened to The Doctor -- his counterparts in the Delta Quadrent are no doubt destroyed by the Borg by now.

It also bugs me that we saw so many androids had been created to do menial labor at the shipyard (and elsewhere, one presumes). The whole story of Data on TNG was to show that androids are people, not property. Yet the Federation created an entire race of beings with the intention of enslaving them...and again Picard hasn't voiced any discontent with that. Romulan influence or not, it's no wonder the androids would rise up against their masters.

AVorlon   

Yeah, I wasn't so confused about the Borg having that transport system, because they assimilated it. I was wondering more about how it got programmed to go to Troi and Riker's house.  

I loved the reference to Isaac Asimov a few weeks ago, since this whole android/robot uprising was right in his wheelhouse. I was imagining him still alive and watching this, and what he would make of it . 

AVorlon   
Posted (edited)

On another subject, I knew that the current season of Hawaii 5-O was about to happen, but now I find out it's the end of the entire series. There's a two hour series finale coming up, and I'm going to miss all those folks.  It was a nice ten year run

I'm also going to miss that weird thing they had with the bad guys driving Fords, and the good guys driving Chevrolets.     

Edited by AVorlon

AVorlon   

Okay, how about some recommendations for all of us cooped up at home? I have streaming Netflix these days, and I've already gone through "Russian Doll", "You", and  "Sex Education". I'm now watching "Ozark", and I can say that it's intriguing and worth watching. A big time money laundering financial planner from Chicago moves to Missouri, but they aren't the simple rubes he expects.  

knewb   

I just started Ozark this week too and am enjoying it. I've had Netflix for years and have watched tons of series. Here are a few of my favorites.

Peaky Blinders: Birmingham gang of WWI vets who sew razor blades in their peaked caps. Cillian Murphy is mesmerizing.

Marvel's Daredevil and The Punisher: I'm bummed there aren't more seasons.

Marvel's Jessica Jones: Season 1 is fantastic. The end of season 2, they lost me.

The Fall, The Stranger and Happy Valley: dark British murder/crime dramas. 

Godless: Incredible! Both Jeff Daniels and Merritt Wever won Emmys for their roles. It's a limited series Western, but trust me, it's fantastic.

In recent weeks I watched Unbelievable, Ragnarok, I Am Not Okay With This, The Valhalla Murders and The Witcher and enjoyed them all, especially The Witcher.

And as a fan of Big Brother, you must watch Tiger King. It's not a competition show, but it's like the worst of the BB hammies on steroids. And meth.

MrsGryn   

We finished The Witcher on Netflix. Loved it. Now we have started The Magicians, which we missed when it started. 

Not going to watch Tiger King. I just can.t bring myself to do it!

AVorlon   

I just finished Tiger King today. It was like watching a train-wreck filled with uneducated, gun-toting rednecks who like big cats for some reason, but hate each other.

22 hours ago, knewb said:

Godless: Incredible! Both Jeff Daniels and Merritt Wever won Emmys for their roles. It's a limited series Western, but trust me, it's fantastic.

I'll try that one,  once I'm done with Shameless and Ozark. Still need to get to After Life with Ricky Gervais.   

knewb   

Cool, Avorlon. I just started the new season of After LIfe yesterday. I love Ricky Gervais.

I forgot to mention Mindhunter earlier. It's about the start of the Behavioral Analysis team for the FBI. Really good, good cast, especially the guy who plays Ed Kemper in the first season.