MrsGryn

General Drama

lurker   

A new thread in March?! Sure, I'll bite!

I really enjoyed "Kings" last night. It was quite an interesting show, and very well crafted. I have the attention span of a gnat, and sat through two whole hours! Check it out -

Kings!

Guess at a potential spoiler :

I'm pretty sure the queen/wife is an evil mastermind, which makes the show that much more fun!

Thank you so much for the drama thread!

I read that NBC was targeting Kings to a specific market, I mean audience, so hopefully they'll hold out until that market, I mean audience, finds the show. Especially since they (NBC) started it opposite TAR and Home Makeover, it might take a more than a week or two to get going. It's intellectual fare, and while Ian McShane owned Deadwood, he's really the only established name in the cast. So...given the money they've spent and the marketing, I hope NBC at least lets them get their first season completed and check downloads on Hulu and NBC.com as well as the DVR crowd.

McShane's character seemed to be Jed Bartlet meets Al Swearengen, and I hope he gets more screen time. The Biblical themes don't bother me, though I am kind of wondering if they're going to work in the Jonathan/Jack-David love that was such a big part of the original story. Should be interesting.

I found it to be witty, intelligent, and highly entertaining, and Wes Studi kind of scared me with his intensity.

If I didn't have to go to bed, I'd go ahead and comment on my current favorite drama, Friday Night Lights. Which, oddly enough, has another Deadwood alum in it right now with Kim Dickens/Joanie Stubbs playing Saracen's mother. I will, however, say that Taylor Kitsch learned to act somewhere along the way, and I can't wait to see him as Gambit.

General Drama - if I ever have a biopic made about me "General Drama" must be the title. Anyways....

For Kings' fans and/or those who missed the first episode but have an interest in the series, NBC is giving away the first episode on iTunes for free. Its the complete episode and there is a HD version if your computer is capable of showing HD.

General Drama - if I ever have a biopic made about me "General Drama" must be the title. Anyways....

For Kings' fans and/or those who missed the first episode but have an interest in the series, NBC is giving away the first episode on iTunes for free. Its the complete episode and there is a HD version if your computer is capable of showing HD.

Biopic...General Drama...noted.

Caught Ian McShane on The Daily Show last night and he said they're through shooting their 13 episode order. He basically said that y'all have wanted cable-quality programming on network TV, and now you've got it. He did quash any hopes of Deadwood being revisited, which at this remove isn't surprising. I will not soon forget the mendacity of David Milch, nor the collossal waste of time, money and talent that was John From Cincinatti.

But back to the drama topic, I found this review/synopsis on SFGate.com.

For those who don't have time, or perhaps the inclination, to view the link, Kings is a modern retelling of the story of David and Goliath, and David's rise to eventually become king of Gilboa, which immediately sent me to the computer to fact check. Gilboa is at war with Gath, the Biblical home of Goliath, and soldier David faces off against a Goliath tank, instead of a giant named Goliath. He ends up rescuing hostages that include the king's (Ian McShane) son. The actor playing David Shepherd (get it, David, a shepherd...yeah, that's right) reminds me somewhat of a young Matt Damon. Of course King Silas Benjamin (instead of Saul of the tribe of Benjamin) must reward him, which creates conflict with the son. Drama ensues, and it's well-written, well-acted drama.

All the supporting cast shines, as far as I can tell, and the show looks impressive. The sets are huge and luxurious, the cgi settings realistic, and the dialogue intelligent and with enough wit to bring Aaron Sorkin to mind as well as the Shakepearean rhythms of Milch's Deadwood.

Is this the drama thread, the Kings thread, or the Ian McShane thread?

I really hope Kings finds a wider audience. And a better time slot (seriously? vs. TAR, Extreme Home, AND the Simpsons?). Is NBC trying to appeal to the faith-based family-oriented demographic by broadcasting at 8pm on Sundays? Good luck with closeted Prince Jack in the cast of characters. The producers and/or network execs need to get their money back from their marketing consultants.

As a re-imagining, it's got the elements in place to take ease my upcoming Battlestar Galactica withdrawl. But I hope it doesn't ruin David the way WB/CW's Smallville ruined Clark Kent (because can anyone really see WB/CW's perpetually whiny Clark taking on the Superman legacy?).

I'm wondering whether a David-Jack(Jonathan) friendship will actually develop, or whether the writers will cop out and totally switch all that affection to Michelle(Michal). And IF the show does survive beyond it's initial order, will we see versions of the Biblical David's other major wives/consorts Abigail (who he met in exile) and Bathsheba (whose husband he arranged to be killed)?

It's got some interesting anachronisms-- Does the Judeo-Christian-styled Reverend Samuels use scriptures containing the narratives of the prophet Samuel? More importantly, is there enough of a non-HT audience willing to immerse themselves in this fictional America-esque-but-not-America setting? There's also the likelihood that when people find out the series is based on King David in the Bible, most people (including a lot of church-goers) will dismiss it because they don't know there's a rich textured story beyond the Goliath episode (and missed the 1985 Richard Gere flick).

Some good points, SLuG.

I enjoyed this week's episode of Kings, and it's piqued my interest. What secret does Michal have that she bound Silas to remind her of it should she ever forget? Will the peace treaty actually achieve peace? How do the people of Gath react to the peace treaty? And what role will Macaulay Culkin play in a four episode arc?

Then there's my favorite show on TV now...Friday Night Lights. Great episode this week with some excellent work by the Taylor family. I'm wondering if Coach finding Julie in bed with Saracen would have gone differently had he not just come from visiting Buddy Garrity in jail for assault.

Interesting note that the kid who's playing JD McCoy auditioned for the part of Saracen originally.

And I'm enjoying Kim Dickens aka Joanie Stubbs from Deadwood playing Matt's mom.

Lots more, but I'll wait until after tomorrow's episode to comment as I've got to go hit the hay.

knewb   

KK, There was an article in the Austin American-real eStatesman this week about how Kyle Chandler and his wife are building a big house right outside Austin and moving the family here, so I'd say the chances for renewal of FNL are looking pretty good. Yay!

KK, There was an article in the Austin American-real eStatesman this week about how Kyle Chandler and his wife are building a big house right outside Austin and moving the family here, so I'd say the chances for renewal of FNL are looking pretty good. Yay!

Squee! Thanks, knewb, I found the bit...I'm sure they'll love it there. I know I would. And I'm encouraged by the bit about the "producers are reportedly close to a two-year extension with NBC and DirectTV." part.

This week's episode showed some interesting character growth with Tim Riggins being the sober, responsible one dragging Miss Goody-Two-Shoes Lila Garrity out of bed. And even though the guy has missed more practice than any high school player would ever be allowed to do unless a family member died, he still managed to help win the game.

Then there's Buddy Garrity. What can you say about a guy that is the most obnoxious team booster ever, cheats on his wife, loses his family, loses his daughter's college fund in a business deal, and yet still makes you pull for him? The scene where he took Riggins out to discuss how to get his daughter back was poignant, and I loved the simplicity of it. No big melodramatic speech, just a simple "You gotta give her some time."

I'm also loving Janine Turner, and not just because she spells her name the right way. I'm interested to see how the McCoy family recovers from the "incident".

I read where they shoot the show without blocking, and the actors are allowed and encouraged to move as their characters would. Combine that with using location shooting exclusively, no sound stages, and this show has a different feel than any other I've seen. I love it.

knewb   

I agree with everything you said, KK. I read that the Friday Night Lights actors aren't given a script per se, just a general outline of where the director wants the scene to go, and they come up with their own dialogue. I think that's why so many of the scenes have such a natural feel. It's also why Landry is such a big part of the show now, because Jesse Plemons was so good at improvising his lines.

I also read that next season, the characters of both Lila and Tyra will get the same treatment as Smash and Jason's this season, i.e. 3 episodes and then out. I can't say I'm sorry. They've both started to wear on me.

I'm surprised to say I am really enjoying Janine Turner too. At first when I saw she was joining the cast I thought "oh jeez, not her," but I find she is really good and very believable.

I think this show just gets better and better and I look forward all week to seeing what's next.

Great episode of FNL. I know they were wrapping things up so that if they weren't renewed, next week's ep would be a fitting finale, and it's working for me, though I'm a little wary of who they'll have as the kids next season and if they'll visit current characters like Street, Saracen and of course, Tim Riggins. Oh, and Landry. They've only introduced the one new younger character, but the Colt McCoy...oops, I mean JD McCoy storyline could prove interesting.

Janine Turner rocked this episode. The scene between her and Tami broke my heart, and both Janine and Connie played it perfectly. No histrionics, no melodrama. It would have been so easy to overdo the line (which I paraphrase) about "I hope you understand if I want nothing to do with you," and it would have been so easy to overdo the reaction...Tami putting on her sunglasses and walking away was perfect.

That's one think I really love...every single character, every single role is acted to perfection. From Grandma Saracen to the guys at the party telling Landry to shut up and drink, to the assistant coaches...and Buddy Garrity..what a piece of work. Brad Leland is awesome...I do wonder what happened to Landry's dad, though. Would have been nice to see some more of him without an unnecessary murder/self defense storyline.

I read where the kid that plays JD McCoy (I almost called him Colt, heh) first auditioned for the role of Saracen. I'm glad he didn't get it, because Zach Guilford gives such a subtle, touching performance as an overwhelmed, underconfident teen who can see a life at the end of the tunnel.

Other highlights...Billy Riggins turning the kitchen sink into a urinal. Seeing Landry regain consciousness on the floor behind the sofa when he get the call from Saracen that he missed the bus. Tyra explaining how she got past having enough anger inside to start a car. When she spoke of how Street's injury affected her, I got misty-eyed. Then her reading her essay...I would have probably been bawling if Tex hadn't been making snarky comments.

And as always, some great Riggins moments, and not just because he's pretty. The look on his face when he saw the POS building his brother bought. Billy saying "Fixing cars and drinking beer all day. What more could you want?" And you can see on Riggs face that he does want more, but doesn't quite know how to reconcile it with the life he's known. The

frisbee game on the State Capitol lawn, with him saying "Last game, Seven." In the locker room after the game when Coach said, "Gentlemen, you are champions". And while it may have been just a tad melodramatic, Riggins leaving his cleats on the field worked for me.

I'm sad that next week's the final ep of the "season", if you can call 13 episodes a season...but I'll take what I can get. While I'm thrilled that the show was renewed for another 26 eps, they won't be the same group of people, and I'm not too good with change.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

knewb   
Great episode of FNL. I know they were wrapping things up so that if they weren't renewed, next week's ep would be a fitting finale, and it's working for me, though I'm a little wary of who they'll have as the kids next season and if they'll visit current characters like Street, Saracen and of course, Tim Riggins. Oh, and Landry. They've only introduced the one new younger character, but the Colt McCoy...oops, I mean JD McCoy storyline could prove interesting.

I'm sad that next week's the final ep of the "season", if you can call 13 episodes a season...but I'll take what I can get. While I'm thrilled that the show was renewed for another 26 eps, they won't be the same group of people, and I'm not too good with change.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

KK, I share your sadness and concern, but don't forget Julie will still be around. And even though Matt and Riggins are graduating, I suspect we'll still see plenty of them. I don't think they brought Joanie Stubbs in just for these few episodes; I think they have bigger things planned for her and I'm sure that Matt will be a part of that. I think we'll see a lot more of Julie and Matt. And the relationship with his grandmother has been a focal point from the beginning. I can't see them abandoning that.

Even though Riggins is set to go to San Antonio State (huh?) I haven't read anything about Taylor leaving the show. I'm pretty sure he'll continue to be a main character, even if he leaves Dillon. And Landry just gets better and better, but I agree I wish they'd show more of his father. I love Glenn Morshower.

I can't believe the season's almost over already. It seems like they just started a few weeks ago. I was expecting it to go at least through mid-May. What in the world am I going to do without my Tim Riggins and Friday Night Lights?

ETA This just in, from today's Austin paper:

"So, FNL fans ... without giving away any spoilers, I can tell you that by the end of the episode, Coach Eric and Tami Taylor (Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton, never short of spectacular) will find themselves facing a new and unexpected challenge that expertly paves the way for big changes and new characters in Season Four. When it's all over, the Dillon Panthers won't be the same again, and it'll be a whole new playing field for all your favorite characters."

Interesting........

Edited by knewb