Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

Pet Pic Post

Magpie   

She may be having a reaction to one of the flea treatments you are using. I'd suggest a trip to the vet and possibly trying something one of the treatments they sell like Advantage (I think that's the name of the one we've used).

tooletta   

I'd definitely get her to the vet ASAP. Cat's skin is very thin and she could easily get or already have an infection that might need antibiotics. Also, the shampoo you're using may actually be doing more harm than good~ those can be irritating on broken skin.

Also, Mags is right about the Advantage, it's not cheap, but it's a good monthly flea treatment. Frontline is also good and it eliminates ticks, as well as fleas.

Poor kitteh!

Beehoppy   

I've also heard some pets can have an allergic reaction to the chemicals in plastic food and water bowls. If you use those, you may want to try switching to metal/ceramic and see if that helps.

The first thing you should do is make sure that the fleas are gone. Sometimes a batch of newly hatched fleas will re infest the cat.

What kind of drops and shampoo have you used?

This is what I've found that works the best for me:

If you're able to give her a pill, there is a product called Capstar. I've given to my cats and dogs for several years now. It will start killing fleas within 30 minutes. I also apply Advantage to the back of the neck at the same time. This way you get an instant kill with the Capstar and the Advantage drops will kill the fleas for a month.

Two things come to my mind in regards to the scratching and scabs. The first is a flea allergy. The second would be Feline Milliary Dermatitis. The triple antibiotic ointment will help somewhat with the secondary infection, but probably won't fix the underlying problem. If the scabs and hair loss have covered a large part of her body, you probably need to take to see your veterinarian. He/She can give her corticosteroids and antibiotics to clear it up faster, and give her some relief.

I hope this helps.

I also would like to offer my condolences to all of you who have lost your precious friends. The time we have with them is never long enough.

She's on frontline, and I'm willing to change. I bought a mild kitten shampoo to use on her before I did the drops. She was on an antiobiotic for 10 days because of her cuts (poor kitteh). It seems like she's healing, but I'm with y'all at this point - she needs another office visit.

mewmom30   

My 16 1/2 year old kitty Puff had to have an emergency tracheotomy late yesterday and I had to come in here to say: Be strong my little Puff man - you're getting the best care modern science has to offer.

The little guy spends way too much time with me reading HT posts to not be channeling this thread as we speak.......

Tres (teh kitteh) went to the vet. He gave her a long-acting shot of cortizone to help her stop itching. He said she probably developed allergies to fleas (ooh, y'all hit that nail on the head). He also mentioned that her hearts beats to fast and suggested that I have them run a series of tests that cost over $630.

Balls to him.

While I like him, I think the fact that I mentioned several times that "I'm trying to keep costs down" never really sunk in with him. Never mind that 3 months of flea protection costs $53 from him, but $38 online.

She's doing well, fast heart and all. She's become really chatty - and most importantly - her skin is slowly starting to clear up. Now id only her weird bald spots would grow back....

Thank you for your concern!

MrsGryn   

Gee, I'm sure she wasn't stressed at all by being at the vet's office in the first place which could lead to an elevated heart rate.

tooletta   

Their fur grows very slowly. Sally had areas shaved over a month ago that still look nearly bald. Glad to hear she's on the road to recovery, though! I recommend lots of catnip and TLC in the meantime.

We spend at least $35 per MONTH to treat our 4 kittehs for fleas. In the winter, I switch from Advantage to Frontline to treat for ticks as well as fleas, since two of ours spend a bit of time outside and there are heavy woods behind our house. I should really shop around online to get a better deal. We should buy it by the case.