Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

Pet Pic Post

I could not stand it anymore and needed to post pictures of my babies......

IMG_0443.jpg

Oreo & Mitzy are Shih Tzu's. Shih Tzu's require some hair maintenance but their demeanors are wonderful. Oreo we got as a puppy. He is about a year and 1/2 now. Mitzy is a rescue. We got her in November, 2008 and think she was around a year or so old. According to the rescue people she was a supposed to be a breeder dog but she did not go into heat and they dumped her (thank god for her). She is about the sweetest natured dog I have ever had. She has some issues that were dealing with but she is a wonderful addition to our family. Oreo & Mitzy are best buddies.

Kenya20.jpg

Kenya is my African Grey parrot. Now you know how I chose my HT name. I got her as a baby and she will be seven in July. She is my darling and talks up a storm. A lot of what she says has to do with the dogs, such as "stop that", "good boy", "good girl", "get back!" and "you wanna go for a walk?". She is extremely vocal and can get sounds in perfect pitch after hearing them only a couple of times. I am still paying the price for the day the police sat behind my house to catch speeders. Many a morning I am awoken to a police siren in my room.

Edited by kenyabirdy

tlh9   

Today I had to say good-bye to my sweet, loving little Spencer... see post #7 in this thread for his pics.

He's the one who's been sick since late September last year, that I mentioned in Diary Room. Initially our vets thought a stomach bug, treated, and he seemed to be OK.

Then he got worse again, and we were thinking inflammatory bowel disorder. So we were treating for that, and he seemed to be getting better at first, then started getting a little worse.

Then they found an enlargement in the lymph nodes above the intestinal tract. They couldn't tell from x-rays, if it was an inflammation, or a mass. Surgery would have been very expensive. We treated in the hopes it was only inflammation. He got a lot better -- SO much better -- at first, that we thought maybe it WAS just an inflammation, and that he would fully recover.

Then he got a little worse... more treatment, then way better again, then a little worse, then way better again... this repeated a couple of more cycles.

Then, just about two months ago, he got worse, and kept getting worse. Treatments weren't as effective, and the effects they did have, didn't last as long.

It was a challenge getting him to eat. I was cooking chicken breasts for him, and getting him a special diet for dogs sold only at Fred Meyer's in our area, in a special refrigerator in the pet section. I tried various kinds of tempting canned food. At first, this seemed to be working, and he was eating four chicken breasts a day, and some of the other foods, too.

He would still run & woof, but was starting to slow down a bit, like not jumping up & down, leaping & twirling, stuff like that. He spent more time lying down, with less activity & animation in between.

One of the times he was worse, two weeks ago, the vets determined it WAS a mass, and it was getting larger. The treatments for inflammatory bowel had also put the lymphoma into remission for all this time. But, of course, that only could last for so long.

This past week, I could barely get him to eat anything. He was interested in the food I made for him, but just couldn't eat. The most I could get him to eat was maybe 1/4 a chicken breast a day. He was getting SO thin. He wouldn't even eat his special liver treats he always loved, and would almost knock me down to get, when he was well.

He maintained his sweet happy self until just this past weekend. But I could tell he was weakening. I could see a worried, sad look taking over his eyes, but he would always perk up & his little eyes would sparkle for me when I loved on him. Just last night, he came to me & put his paws up in my lap and snuggled his head into me, for lovies, like always.

So I called the vet this morning & took him in this afternoon. On the way, he just lied in the back of the car, looking so very weak. I told him it would be OK, that Momma would make everything OK for him soon. We stopped at a nice park on the way, and I sat with him and held his sweet head on my lap, and petted him. Then we continued on.

At the vet clinic, we happened to get one of the old-time vets, who had recently come out of retirement a couple of days a week, who had always been my favorite.

I held Spencer as he lied on a quilt on the table. When he went, his head tipped so that his sweet velvety muzzle went in the neck-hole of my top. Through his life, he would often stick his muzzle down my neck just to be silly.

The vet told me that I had taken good care of him, and that I had just done one last loving thing for him.

God, how I miss my sweet little friend. Nine was far too young. I love you, Spencer.

Edited by tlh9

Tlh9, I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently had to put my beloved Ella down last week - so I certainly know how hard it is. I got to hold her too as she passed. It's the saddest moment in one's life, but knowing that you were there for your pet has to be some relief.

knewb   

th9, words can't express how sorry I am for you and your sweet Spencer. Try to focus on all the happiness you gave each other in those nine short years.

tismissella, I am so very sorry to hear about your Ella's passing too. You both have my deepest sympathy.

Edited by knewb

angelmi   

SO Sorry for your loss, Spencer is a great name, I have a step son named Spencer. Remember the good times!!

MrsGryn   

Losing a pet is the price we pay for the joy of having them in our lives. Hugs and love to you both.

tlh9 I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Spencer. I know right now the pain your heart feels unending. My prayer for you is that the passing of time fades the bad memories and leaves you with only the good ones. He was lucky to have you caring for him and he will always be in your heart.

Edited by kenyabirdy

Sophy   

Adding my condolences to tlh9 for the loss of your beloved Spencer. They fill our lives with so much love and affection, and then leave a huge hole in our hearts when they leave us. So sorry for your loss, but so glad you had him in your life and that he had you.

Edited by Sophy

tlh9, I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved Spencer. I hope it brings some comfort to know that we understand your pain. I pray that you find peace in the great memories you made together.

Th9 and Tismissella: so sorry. June must have been a bad month for pets. June 13th my fifteen year old dachshund died in my arms from kidney disease. Her last weeks were a lot like Spencer's with me cooking every single thing I could think of to tempt her. When she wouldn't touch strained baby chicken I knew we were in deep trouble. I'm still messed up about it. I've had dogs I've loved, all my life but this one slept in bed with me every night and was attached to my side all day.

Whew.

Yes, you're all right. We should just be grateful we had them, because the one and only bad thing about pets is that they don't live as long as we want them to... well, and "accidents."

I'm just going to sit here and look at those Shih Tzu puppies for awhile.

Edited by automatic drip

Beehoppy   

Last Friday my sweet girl Sherman passed away in her sleep. She was 17, had a host of medical issues, and had been gradually going downhill since last summer. She'd been by my side through most of my adult life; through countless moves, boyfriends, a marriage, and divorce, and I will miss her terribly.

Everybody give your fur babies an extra hug for me today.

Minxy   

Aw Bee, I'm so sorry for your loss.....*hugs*