Sign in to follow this  
lifeonhold

HT Tips for Screenshots and Videos

This and the next post describes some options for capturing screencaps and videos of the live feeds. I'm sure there are other options, and we welcome your posts to expand our abilities to document our hamsters in the house.

How to Capture an Image from the Live Feeds - Basic Method

Requirements:

1. Live Feeds (or other source to capture)

2. Image Editing software such as Photoshop Elements - to crop, resize the image, and re-size

the file size for the web

3. Photo Hosting website - such as Photobucket - to upload and store the photo(s).

There are many free sites available, including Photobucket.com.

Screen Capture Procedure

1. Open your Image Editor (this can be done after the image capture)

2. Open the Live Feeds

3. Select Fn - Prnt Scrn to capture the screen (or similar keystrokes based on your computer)

4. Tab over to your Image Editor

5. Load in the image (in Photoshop : File - New From Clipboard.)

6. Crop the picture from the full screen image.

7. Resize the image so it is no wider than 5.5 inches wide.

8. Save for the Web to a file size of less than 30 KB (usually there is a Save for Web button in the software).

9. Save the file on your hard drive as a .JPG image.

10. Get into your web photo storage account (such as Photobucket).

11. Upload the photo.

12. Copy the photo URL (I usually copy it first to a blank e-mail or clipboard)

14. Go to the Screencaps section of HamsterTime and open up a reply window.

15. Select the Photo icon and paste in the the URL address for the photo.

16. Post the entry.

Capture Troubleshooting

If the Live Feed image is all black, in step 5, the Hardware Accelerator setting on your computer may be set too high. The setting is on a slider bar and can be adjusted up or down. Reducing the Hardware Acceleration may allow the screen capture to be successful, but it might make the feeds appear more 'choppy'.

Changing the Hardware Accelerator Setting

START

Control Panel

Display

Settings Tab

Advanced

Troubleshoot Tab

Change the Hardware Accelerator Setting a small amount (usually less)

OK

OK

Try the screen capture procedure again.

Please PM me with any feedback on this procedure.

Edited by lifeonhold

Video and Photo Capture software is available to make the process easier and quicker than the basic procedure posted above.

I recently tried (and then purchased) TechSmith's SnagIt and enthusiastically recommend it for anyone who wants easy Screencap and Video (Life Feeds!) Capture. The software does both, and also eliminates the need to have an additional Image Editor. I've tried SnagIt for over a month and have taken a variety of type of captures that we would want to use to catch our hamsters in action.

Here are some examples:

A simple photo captured from AOL's home page:

Beach

A photo taken from a Music Video:

Screencap

A video commercial taken from Real Player:

Camera

A Streaming Video of ABC news taken from AOL:

ABC News

The captured photos and videos still need to be uploaded to an website, such as Photobucket.com or YouTube.com, but these are plentiful and many are free.

RealPlayer's Live Feeds have a 'rewind' feature so if something noteworthy happens on the feeds it can be backed up and captured with the Video Capture setting.

The quality of the captures are excellent. My only 'difficulty' was that it took a while determine how to set up the audio recording for the video capture. I had to change Audio Recording settings in my Control Panel so that it selected the feed for MIDI mix. On my desktop the setting was slightly different, but the same principle. It was easy enough once I figured out why I wasn't getting audio.

SnagIt also has many other features that are fun to use. You can capture web pages, such as a HT page for offline reading which is great for when no internet connection is available. It can capture all the web graphics on a web page; it has a VERY nice image editor that I'll be using instead of Photoshop Elements, and I've already extensively used the Text Capture to make Indexes for my music archiving project.

Edited by lifeonhold

jerrye25   

Hello all, a couple years ago I wrote a small software program that allows me to setup a looping screen capture. I would load up one of the four feed windows, then set my program up to capture the screen every five seconds for a 1000 pictures. It allows you to setup the time interval and the number of pictures you want to capture. Usually I would do it before I went to bed at night, then I would run through the pictures in the morning to see if I got anything good. You can set it to capture any of the feeds or the quad if you want. It basically captures whatever the top window on your computer is. So set it up, make the BB Feed your top window and capture away. If anyone would like a copy of my program, PM me and I'll send you the link to my website for downloading. If you're using it and you have questions or suggestions on how I can make it better, please PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Here's an easy and cheap (but not free) screen capture option:

Last season, I bought Big Brother Reloader (bbreloader.com), and it worked as advertised.

It does one-click screen caps (among other features like watching all five[5] feeds at the same time!).

A REALPLAYER SUPERPASS SUBSCRIPTION IS STILL REQUIRED to use BBReloader.

It captures at netcast resolution, so the images will never be oversized (by the way, maxing windows in RealPlayer doesn't actually increase the resolution; it just blurs the edges to fit the screen).

It will be ready for purchase/download Friday (July7) 8pm EST/5pm PST. I paid for it thru PayPal last season.

(I'm just a satisfied previous customer and am in no way affiliated with bbreloader.com)

ETA The price is just US$4.95 for the entire season including updates/upgrades until the hamster cams sign off for the season finale.

Edited by ShyLurkerGuy

I just tried to do my first screencap of the season (Marcy "giving birth" on a face zit). As usual, I hit PRINT SCREEN and pasted it into a new Paint session. However, the Real Player feed continued inside my Paint session....the hell?? That ain't at all what I wanted to do. Can we no longer use the PRINT SCREEN/Paint option for capturing screencaps?

cops, I think you might solve that by adjusting the Hardware Accleration. The first post on this thread has the procedure.

If that doesn't work, perhaps there is a setting on Real, like with a slower refresh, that might work.

Please post back as to if that helped.

Edited by lifeonhold

I just tried to do my first screencap of the season (Marcy "giving birth" on a face zit). As usual, I hit PRINT SCREEN and pasted it into a new Paint session. However, the Real Player feed continued inside my Paint session....the hell?? That ain't at all what I wanted to do. Can we no longer use the PRINT SCREEN/Paint option for capturing screencaps?

I'm glad it wasn't just me getting that result. I tried closing Real, changing the camera feed, closing and reopening the paint session, and the image was always picking up the feed. I tried pasting into a word document and you could even scroll up and down past several different screen captures and the image would change in all the posts. totally freaky. I'll try the Hardware Accleration thing too, but I just wanted to validate copssisters results. (this method worked fine for me last year)

Edited by Ubershauna

I tried that to change the slide bar within Display/Troubleshooting, Life - and it's been all or nothing. Either Real continues to play inside Paint (I tried Word as well), or it pastes completely black. Worse yet, anything below mid-point on that slide bar completely removes my ability to watch the feeds from Real.

I'm not yet ready to pay for screen capping software, but I do think that is my only option...at least that's what my friend, Google, has told me. Carry on, ScreenCappers, I'm counting on you !!

Update: I slide the toolbar to halfway and unchecked the checkbox in the same window. Rebooted, and I'm able now to capture images !! Hope it helps whoever is having similar issues.

Edited by copssister

lurker   

I'm completely on the fence, so I'll ask the pros - BB Reloader - is it worth it? I haven't had trouble negotiating my way through the feeds, but if I don't know what I'm missing...should I or shouldn't I? Thankee.

Magpie   

Well, I had it last season, and used it just some of the time (when Real was being a bitch). It's fun to play with, and it's cheap, so I'd say give it a try if you like to experiment with stuff. I don't think it's necessary, though, unless you have problems with Real or want to have an easy way to capture video, etc.

Lausana   

BB Reloader's offering the free reloader when you link to buy your super pass through them, I'll post but please delete if the pimping isn't allowed...

This season the Big Brother Reloader will cost you $4.95, but with this promotion you can obtain the SuperPass at a discounted cost and the Reloader for free! By letting us refer you to the Real Player SuperPass purchase page, we can offer you the Reloader for no additional cost! This is an unbeatable deal, one that any live feed viewer would not want to miss out on.

If you still haven't purchased your SuperPass yet, click here to participate in our promotion and get your discounted SuperPass and free Reloader today! If you purchased your SuperPass through our website even when the promotion was not online, you will still get your Reloader for free. :)

If you haven't already heard, this season's Big Brother Reloader is packed full of features that will improve your live feed experience. Features like feed recording, instant screen capturing, chat and even a new automatic screen capture indexing site will help keep you entertained throughout the summer.

The Big Brother premiere is just around the corner, so don't wait, participate in our promotion and get your SuperPass and free Reloader today!

The BB8: Reloader Crew

www.bbreloader.com

Their quick hide feature this year made me willing to buy either way--awesome :)

Edited by Lausana

Magpie   

As long as you don't run the BB Reloader site, you're fine. :) Free stuff is always good, so thanks for passing the info along!

simone   

Lausana thanks for tip!

I signed up tonight doing it that way. Very easy.

Looking forward to playing around with BBreloader and maybe doing some screencapping.

Thanks again!

Edited by simone

Cazi429   

I tried that to change the slide bar within Display/Troubleshooting, Life - and it's been all or nothing. Either Real continues to play inside Paint (I tried Word as well), or it pastes completely black. Worse yet, anything below mid-point on that slide bar completely removes my ability to watch the feeds from Real.

I'm not yet ready to pay for screen capping software, but I do think that is my only option...at least that's what my friend, Google, has told me. Carry on, ScreenCappers, I'm counting on you !!

Update: I slide the toolbar to halfway and unchecked the checkbox in the same window. Rebooted, and I'm able now to capture images !! Hope it helps whoever is having similar issues.

I love the Reloader. I used it all the time last year to capture vid to make clips for Youtube. I'm anxiously waiting for the download to be available for this season.

Magpie   

I just downloaded a free viewer called BB Viewer. So far, so good. The installation couldn't be easier, it has the usual features like "always on top" and screen capture, and the price is right!