Tsylyst

There's No Business Like Show Biz

demgirl   

OH NO. No no no no no. I need House. I need Bones and Chuck and Law and Order SVU. I do NOT need Farmer Needs a Wife. Won't the madness ever end? Do you know how I degraded myself last night? While waiting for the caucus returns, I actually watched Deal or No Deal. And when CNN was on commercial break, I actually saw about 1/2 of Celebrity Apprentice. It's not human I tell you! I will never forgive the AMPTP for this! Never!

Edited by demgirl

Shannon   
OH NO. No no no no no. I need House. I need Bones and Chuck and Law and Order SVU. I do NOT need Farmer Needs a Wife. Won't the madness ever end? Do you know how I degraded myself last night? While waiting for the caucus returns, I actually watched Deal or No Deal. And when CNN was on commercial break, I actually saw about 1/2 of Celebrity Apprentice. It's not human I tell you! I will never forgive the AMPTP for this! Never!

I tried to watch House once, and I've never watched the other shows above, but I do want to see Celebrity Apprentice. Okay, I did try to watch Deal or No Deal a couple of times because I loved Howie from years ago, but gone is the quiky curly-haired boy and the show bored me to tears. I am not missing the shows I do watch all that much and I'm finding myself liking the reality shows much more than the sitcoms and dramas. I no longer care if McSteamy (I think he's icky as I think Meredith is also) ends up with weepy-eyed girl, or if Cristina finds her place (use to love her) and George and Izzy, that makes me want to barf and I use to love them both. Desparate Housewives has become worse than daytime soaps and I really can't even remember the other shows I was watching. I can pretty much watch reruns on HGTV or TLC and not be nearly as bored as I was wathing the 'new' shows on network stations. Oh I still love Boston Legal, Denny Crane and Alan Shore are worth an hour any week, rerun or new episode.

tlh9   
Boston Legal, Denny Crane and Alan Shore are worth an hour any week, rerun or new episode.
Oh yeah... i love this show... absolutely LOVE it. The dialog between those two is sharp & funny. I also like Candice Bergen, and I even like John Larroquette as an addition this season. Imagine him being one of the only ones there with a sense of decorum.

I still like Desperate Housewives, as a fun comedy diversion, nothing serious. But I don't like to miss one.

Lost & Heroes I must have. I totally fell in love with Journeyman, and will be SO pissed off if it's not renewed. I've believe I've already gone on about how I just love to lose myself in the storytelling of these three shows... and Journeyman in particular provides some interesting pondering fodder. I like Jericho, too, but not as much as those first three.

And Chuck is goof-ball but very good & funny. NCIS -- I LOVE me some Mark Harmon. Oooh.

House is absorbing & well-done, but usually on when I'm watching something else. My niece, on the other hand, is a total House freak.

When regular programming isn't available, Law & Order, Criminal Minds, Cold Case, & Without a Trace usually provide some decent storytelling. But these aren't "can't miss" for me. Not to mention they are ubiquitous in reruns all over cable.

All of these are besides, of course, my main three: Big Brother, Survivor, & Amazing Race.

mewmom30   
NCIS -- I LOVE me some Mark Harmon. Oooh.

VERY good taste tlh9 - I ran into him at LAX several years ago as he was getting into a limo. If you can believe it he is even better looking in person and very low key. Not at all into himself (unlike a lot of 'Hollywood' types) which to me, makes him all the more attractive.

Really liked Dance Wars...didn't think I'd like it as much as I did, but Bruno and Carrie Ann manage to be critical and yet supportive. Unless something changes, though, the drinking game will be every time Carrie Ann says "incredible".

MrsGryn   

Really? I thought it was boring as hell. The only good moment was the dance/singing number at the end. I might give it one more shot but really I was so underwhelmed! Bummer, because I had been looking forward to it.

Snooky   

I can't bring myself to watch Dance Wars, writers' strike or no writers' strike. I'm a reality show junkie, and even I burned out on Dancing with the Stars because it was so over-padded and repetitious. Dance Wars--saw 15 minutes last night--feels like more of the same.

I have also tried House no less than three times, but I hate the titular character so much, I just can't watch it.

I still enjoy Desperate Housewives--it's gotten better the last couple of episodes. Last new one was Sunday.

Grey's is only good because I watch it with my grown son--gives us something to do together. It's just so dumb lately. They don't feel like professionals to me, just a bunch of idiots.

I love Lost and Heroes, though I agree with the critics where both have had too-slow periods (Heroes this season; Lost in Season 3). I think both shows will watch better in marathons of the shows on DVD.

Finally, reality TV. I hate Trump, but I enjoyed Celebrity Apprentice because Stephen Baldwin cracks me up (loved him on Celebrity Mole). I'm rooting for him, Marilu, and Gene. And Nadia, but this seems so beneath her.

Love the Bachelor, whenever it's on.

And then there's Paradise Hotel--returning to Fox Reality TV next month. It's sort of like Big Brother, only they're all young and hot, and some are mean and stupid and cliquish. The first one was just a blast to watch several years ago. I think BB fans might like it, if they haven't tried it before. It debuts Feb. 4, with an MA version on Fox Reality and a prime time version on MyNetworkTV.

Edited by Snooky

Magpie   

Hey, looks like we've got Dance Wars discussion going in two separate threads. Can we all gather in the General Reality Shows thread to talk about it, to keep things tidy? Thanks!

tlh9   
I can't bring myself to watch Dance Wars, writers' strike or no writers' strike.
I can NOT stand any of the singing or dancing or hook-up shows! Ugh! There. I admitted it. Neither can I stand Gladiators. Or the nanny ones -- parents so STOOPID I'm mildly surprised they figured out how to reproduce -- it's only thanks to base instinct or they never would have. Wife-Swap can provide cheap laughs sometimes, even though some of them are aggravatingly stupid as well. Definitely not a must-watch.

Now Sci-Fi's 'Who wants to be a Superhero'? I never really watched it, only parts here & there as a lead-in to something else; but it was so goofy, and they all seemed to know it was, even as they acted (pseudo) serious; that it was actually kinda humorously enjoyable.

Grey's is only good because I watch it with my grown son--gives us something to do together. It's just so dumb lately. They don't feel like professionals to me, just a bunch of idiots.
I watched the 1st season, and part of the 2nd; while some of the medical stories were OK -- and the quality of those was spotty -- that's the same thing I noticed -- for doctors, who are generally pretty smart & highly educated, (which are, actually, two distinct things) they're pretty stupid. Which is why I eventually dropped it.

Finally, reality TV. I hate Trump, but I enjoyed Celebrity Apprentice because Stephen Baldwin cracks me up (loved him on Celebrity Mole). I'm rooting for him, Marilu, and Gene. And Nadia, but this seems so beneath her.
I find Trump amusing to watch as he's such an unabashedly pompous twit.

In general, I hate watching celebrities do ANY reality show. Or game show. I'd much rather watch regular people on them. People like the rest of us. They are much more fun to root for. You can imagine yourself in their place, to various degrees -- "what would I have done? how would I handle that?" Although Trump's "regular people" were already highly successful & wealthy -- but still more like the rest of us than celebrities.

But, after all of that, I did find Celebrity Apprentice to be surprisingly entertaining.

Note: All-Star Survivors or BB people are NOT celebrities. Therefore I don't mind watching them nearly as much -- depending on which ones they are, of course -- but part of the fun of those shows are watching all-new -- inexperienced -- people thrust into the environment at hand.

And then there's Paradise Hotel--returning to Fox Reality TV next month. It's sort of like Big Brother, only they're all young and hot, and some are mean and stupid and cliquish. The first one was just a blast to watch several years ago. I think BB fans might like it, if they haven't tried it before. It debuts Feb. 4, with an MA version on Fox Reality and a prime time version on MyNetworkTV.
Might be OK, but much like my aversion to celebrities, I'd much rather watch "regular" people do reality TV over "young & hot". Generally attractive is one thing -- but "perfect people" generally make me gag -- especially the ones who know they are, but don't seem to think the rest have figured it out, so they constantly have to show us.

I have also tried House no less than three times, but I hate the titular character so much, I just can't watch it.
Heh. Snooky said "titular".