Magpie

Project Runway

MrsGryn   

I loved Kentaro's look and agree, his personality makes me smile! Zac is right, more happy from Kentaro, please!

Like copssister noted above, Shawn's was really lovely. However, the smug/supercilious look she gets on her mug is infuriating when Heidi or Tim are speaking to her. 

Deyonte really had to go for that look, though I did like his dye job. 

shopnfoo   

I can't believe no one in the design room has called the twins down for their ridiculously annoying behavior.  At least tell them to stop acting like 2 year olds.

MrsGryn   

I suspect that's coming. Margarita appears to be the leading candidate for the confrontation. I'd rather it were Tim Gunn.

Aaron certainly earned his boot this week - WTF was that mess of party streamers he hot-glued together and slapped on his model?  Tim Gunn's dismayed face while watching the runway walk was priceless.

Clare is as delusional about her talent, abilities and contribution to this competition as Raven is on BB.

Nina was perfectly on-point to tell Samantha that the dress she was wearing, which she had made herself, was 100% more interesting than what she had over-designed and crafted together the runway this week.

Brandon needs to drop the straight-jacket look in his designs.  For me, the ensemble was in the "safe" neighborhood rather than one of the top designs.  Same with Kenya - whose look appeared to have started with a Hilary Clinton pantsuit and ended with a peplummed puffy shirt and tuxedo pants.  Her fabric selection was its only interesting aspect.  

Margarita's the first designer of the season to create a look that FLATTERS Jazzmine's pear-shaped body type.  While I could have done without the feather sleeves, the gown accentuated all of her model's assets and the fabric draped perfectly over the midsection.

Michael's dress was absolutely a Beyonce gown - if you need any reminder on Beyonce's level of taste, please review exhibit A

Can we talk about Amy's hidden-sequins cocoon moomoo?  Not sure how that bland monstrosity didn't land in the bottom either.

My favorites were Kentaro's flowy nymph look, Batani's navy w/ lace bodice gown and Ayana's modest gown (minus the bottom tier on the skirt).  It's been a while since I didn't care for even one of the three top looks.  I blame the Disney millennials who were guest judges.

I, too was shocked that Margarita's look didn't make top three, but I was happy with Brandon winning.  He's definitely my favorite designer, even though there is no way I could wear his stuff.  Seriously, if I wanted to show side boob, the slit would have to go down to my waist.

10 hours ago, copssister said:

Can we talk about Amy's hidden-sequins cocoon moomoo?  Not sure how that bland monstrosity didn't land in the bottom either.

Amy's looked like the shit the Olsen twins always seem to be photographed in. Homeless bag lady look. It was a train wreck and should have been in the bottom. 

Shannon   

I didn't like the grandpa's night shirt done with side boob, at all.  Aaron was an insult to designers, how did he get on the show.  As for the twins, even when one of them does well, I want them to burst into flames.  

On another site, I was told I was too "traditional" to understand Brandon's side-boob overalls for an evening look.  I almost responded with SLOWOLD before I realized they'd have no idea what the hell I meant.  

MrsGryn   

You still should have dropped it there, just for fun.

I did not understand why Brandon won. A strong breeze and it wouldn't just be side boob, it would be Cinemax After Midnight boob. And really, who needs hands?

Loved Michael's looked and Liris owned it. The feathers were a great touch and a perfect "evil" crown. But I loved Kenya's pantsuit. As soon as I saw it, I was all Grace Jones kicks some ass. Plus it was not a dress!

So glad Aaron went home, though. He was in over his head.

Ummmmm, no.  There's no way that Samantha should have gone home rather than Claire this week.  Granted, they were right that the dress she was wearing was AGAIN more interesting than the one she presented on her model.  Also, did she use fabric left over from last week - because I hated it last week and was annoyed to see it again.  Still, what she presented had more design and construction thought than Claire's sweatshirt and too-short shorts.  They're keeping those twins there for the drama, because I can't believe Tim didn't call out Shawn for creating a knock-off of what she and her model were wearing the day they sketched the design.  Claire does amazing work on constructing Shawn's looks.

Kentaro absolutely deserved that win - though I pray jean leg-warmers don't become a thing.  I did like Brandon's as well this week (guess I'm not that traditional in my fashion sense).  I will point out, however, that I'm growing tired of his attachment to random ribbons hanging from his looks.  I don't know WTF Margarita was thinking, but unless she was designing costumes for the TLC reunion (minus Left-eye Lopes, RIP) tour....she was about 20 years too late for that outfit to be considered edgy and 10 years too early for it to be deemed retro.  

I found Kenya's Irish Cruella design so very odd.  The uniforms at my Catholic high school were green - and we wore vests - so this look brought me back to a fashion state I had mentally blocked.  Even the petals, which resembled the Peter Pan collars we were forced to wear, were a bit chilling to see.  I'll give her a pass because she's done so well in the past, but she really needs to ramp it up to stay among the favorites to make it to Fashion Week.  

Ayana's robe was Golden Girls horrible, but I did like the cute little dress she had underneath.  I refuse to comment on Bahtani's look - because my momma always told me to bite my tongue if I can't say anything nice about someone whom I like.  Lastly, while I don't dislike her designs, I never really like Amy's looks either.....I think she's just there for the talking heads on the other contestants.  

MrsGryn   

Batani's dress was a scrap quilt project. It was pretty bad. Totally agree on Brandon's random drooping ribbons. I'd be stepping on and tripping over those in no time. Kentaro totally deserved the win. His outfit was boss!

Twins are definitely being kept for the drama. Tim calling out their behavior at this time seems calculated to set up more drama in the future. Liked Zac saying he didn't like the smell of it, but the truth is if designers are allowed to help each other, then there really isn't anything they can say about it.

Margarita should have gone, hands down. That outfit was JLo mid-90s.

I just watched this weeks episode. 

My favorite for sure was:  Kentaro's look.  I'd wear that. I want that! I neeeed that! Now! 
My least favorite for sure was:  Kenya's look. It looks like something my grandma would wear. (No offense, Gramma). 

Random Thoughts:

I am enjoying the behind the scenes/setup shots they have been showing this season. Last week, Heidi saying her hair looks bad because she was running late. This week hugs and kisses...for all. 

I love Brandon's man bun. Ok, I love all man buns. I find them sexy. (Awe...Victor)

I love Tim Gunn..but I'd love him more if he said Onsie instead of Selfie..like my Kevin. 

If I have to continue to hear Claire and Shawn talk each week, I am going to put needles in my ears. 

Samantha was very one note, I don't necessarily disagree with her being cut. Clair's did indeed suck, but she's at least shown some flashes of talent, plus, no way were they cutting her before next week's challenge unless she pulled an Aaron and sent a fitted sheet with a couple of holes for the arms and head down the runway. There's too much potential for twin drama just one challenge away. Margarita should have been cut though. Her design was so dated and just crap. No one is clamoring for the J-Lo fly girl look, and she totally threw her model under the bus. Not cool. 

Kentaro's look was miles above all the rest this week. I liked Brandon's a lot again this week, just wasn't the biggest fan of the colors he used, they were bland and made the look slightly depressing. I'm still loving these two together. I hope they get to pair up next week.