Magpie

Project Runway

I'm going to tentatively be ok with this, but I reserve the right to change my mind when the replacements are announced. Heidi was given too much say, her yes vote was basically cancelling out any no votes and Tim's "mentoring" had gotten to the point where it wasn't so much mentoring as it was PeePawing, and bad PeePawing at that. I can only hope the switch back to Bravo can elevate the show back up, because, yeah, they were at the Kmart accessory wall levels of basic. It got to pathetic levels of gimmicky each and every week. It was like every challenge was the unconventional material challenge and not just one a season. And when did gown become a 4 letter word? I can't even remember the last time I saw a single gown! 

MrsGryn   

Sixty percent less? Tim Gunn is "old and stale"?? BOO!!!!!!

Not gonna watch the new PR.

Tim Gunn introducing students to the concept of designing for body types of real women rather than "gazelle thin" mannikins is all kinds of awesome, though. 

Yeah, that summary from Tim goes along with the whispers that Bravo is chasing Gigi Hadid to host the reincarnation of Project Runway.  If we're really, really lucky.....we'll have Kim Kardashian coaching in the workroom (that's my sarcasm and not a current rumor - unless it comes to be, then I knew it all along).  I'm quickly losing hope.  

MrsGryn   

Here you go, Shannon:

Dapper and open as always, Gunn spoke on four topics.

1. His youth as he studied classical piano, while planning to become an architect. How e dropped out of architecture school to study painting, then was forced to take a sculpture class that turned out to be his 3-dimensional métier.
  2. His time as a teacher and administrator, brought into the Parsons School of Design to head the fashion program, only to find it was “not a design school, but a dressmaking school.” He radically restructured the curriculum and a signature fashion-show benefit in order to prepare the students for the real world, where they would be expected to be entrepreneurs who could think critically and handle any design puzzle. How dare he? “You’ve got to tell the truth.” He also introduced to much resistance mannikins that were “gazelle thin,” which not only helped students design for real clients, but also foreshadowed the variety of model shapes on “Project Runway.”
  3. The early days of “Project Runway,” when he was highly skeptical of the reality contest until he learned that they would be using actual designers, not people off the street. He wasn’t supposed to appear on camera. When they asked Gunn to ask questions of the designers in the studio while they, he expected that his part would end up on the editing floor. After all, this is what he did with Parsons students without calling attention to himself. Of course, with Heidi Klum, he became the unquestioned costar of the show and a role model for all teachers.
  4. The end of his time on “Project Runway” began in the spring. The new season was ready to go. Then he and Klum found out through young relatives by way of social media that the show was headed back to Bravo, its original home, from Lifetime. After a period of silence from the networks, their agents informed them on an offer of 60 percent less salary than they were making before. To the Bravo execs, these two idols were “old and stale.” So Gunn and Klum accepted an offer from Amazon to create a new fashion show. Details to come

I’m not totally buying that Bravo thought Heidi and Tim were “old and stale”.  

I totally believe that Bravo didn’t want to pay their salary expectations.  When the show first premiered, neither Tim or Heidi were big Television draws.  From the second Heidi was rumored to be heading to America’s Got Talent, I knew she wasn’t long for PR.  She has lots of endorsements and side businesses that she didn’t need it.  Likewise, Tim now has endorsement deals and enough fans to get him a show all his own.  

I wont write off PR just yet, though.  Getting rid of the snooty Judges like Posen gives me hope.

MrsGryn   

I liked Zac as a judge, He usually found a way to be kind in his critiques. I really did enjoy Bitchy Kors, though. He always made me want to sit next to him in a bar and ply him with white wine spritzers and listen to him snark on people.