Magpie

Project Runway

MrsGryn   

Ha! about Heidi's choice of coverage. I am surprised she hasn't worn Micheal's discoball jumpsuit yet. 

Agreed with your final three, though I honestly like Kenya and a number of things she has made. Kentaro is my favorite person, but Kenya designs things that are most wearable for any body type and thus I think she will have a very nice career ahead of her. Also I want to hang out with her. 

Not surprised with Tim Gunn's decision. Wasn't this the last week he could use it? 

I'd normally go with those three, but the foreshadowing of all the Kenya talking heads that she's not won a challenge yet make me think she may pull off a spot in the final showdown.

Margarita's Wonder Woman costume was really bad.  If you're going to make a golden leather corset, you're going to need a fabric stronger than chiffon to hold up the rest of the dress to avoid it looking like Kleenex.  What ended up walking down the runway was more of a wilted flower than a warrior woman.

Ayana's look was interesting, but i couldn't shut out "Seinfeld puffy shirt" commentary in my mind each time I saw her add another layer of ruffle to that shirt.

Kenya was robbed - this should have been her win.  Sure, it wasn't exactly editorial, but it was truly the best that Liris has looked all season!

"meh" was the only reaction I had to Brandon's hooded/strappy warrior - and Kentaro's final version was pretty bad (looked like a Japanese monk).

The cynic reality-show watcher in me predicts that Ayana will end up getting the boot this week and Margarita the next, based upon the talking-head edits and PR's love for a comeback (Margarita's).  

Shannon   

Why is Brandon still there?  He and his dumbass strings suck, and I am tired of Kentaro copying him.  Margarita's Halloween custome was embarrassing to fabric everywhere.  I haven't seen much designing out of this group.

MrsGryn   

I was discussing that very thing with some people. The conclusion was that at least we got to see more clothes being made. But yeah, Margarita needed to go home. That fur dress was horrific! Bathrobe coat was nice. She really pissed me off with her "no one picked me to go to Fashion Week" whine. 

While I was disappointed with the whole non-elimination, I honestly couldn't have picked who should have left this week.  Ayana's had a bad 80's WHAM vibe, but Margarita's was a (Faux) FUR DRESS.  I do like the collection showdown aspect - and, frankly, I'd forgotten that they have done that in prior seasons.  I think we all know Brandon and Kentaro are in the finale, because they love the bro' love.....I'm going with the dark horse of Kenya to pull out an amazing collection now that she's able to work at her own pace and isn't distracted by the reality-factor of the design/construction.  

Oh HELL no......first of all, as much as I like her, Ayana's collection was a snoozefest.  The dresses themselves were ugly - reminded me of Holly Hobby (and not in a good retro way).  The two pieces she showed were so bland and washed the color out of the model's skin tones on the runway.  To have her included as a sure thing for the finale with Brandon seemed so wrong to me.  Brandon's collection was purely Brandon.  I liked it more than most of what we've seen from him, so I completely agree he belonged at Fashion Week, even if he put Liris in her most unflattering outfit yet (yes, that includes the FUR dress).  

Kentaro was totally unprepared for the finale.  There was zero continuity between his pieces (as he claimed) - they were simply interesting stand-alone creations.  Also, he only showed up with 8 pieces rather than 10 as directed.  Maybe dealing with the dead cat took up too much of his time?

Margarita was told by every judge not to go too "Miami".....which quietly translates to gaudy/cheap - plus, she hasn't a chance to win considering they went with a "bold" winner last season with Erin.  Nice to see the beauty that is San Juan considering the devastation it faced soon after.

During the home visits, Kenya's collection was absolutely blah.  Gorgeous designs, but admittedly flat when it came to color.  The tweaks she made between then and the showdown to include tasteful color enhancements really created a lovely collection. 

This is the first time in a LONG time that I'm so stirred that a designer was auwfed.  It's as if their feedback of "Kenya really knows how to design for every woman's body" was thrown away (because Ashley presented a plus-sized collection and producers didn't want to show another body-friendly collection?).  Isn't that really the idea of being a successful designer - to be able to translate your unique designs to fit all women?  Grrrr - I couldn't care less who wins at this point, but feel it's Brandon's to lose.  

Shannon   

I knew Kenya was going home when I saw that ugly black dress with the model's boobs hanging like blobs, ugh.  I've not liked Keyna, so it was fine with me.  

And Brandon, again, king of lot, double ugh.

Kentaro gets lost a lot, but I like him more than string boy, I wish he would stop copying Brandon, it's holding him back.

Margerita is just crazy, but she makes me smile, I do not know why.  I though her line was from the Sonny and Cher show.

Ayana most of all has bored me all season.

What was with Tim's bandaid, I missed what was going on.

MrsGryn   

Yes, Shannon! Margarita was totally Cher in the mid-70's. Her inspiration was apparently Bob Mackie.

I'm fine with the rest of them being there but Kenya should definitely have been in Margarita's spot. 

8 hours ago, copssister said:

Also, he only showed up with 8 pieces rather than 10 as directed.

Kentaro was only joking with Ayanna.  After she reacted, he laughed and she knew he was joking.

I was completely surprised by Brandon's collection.  Flamingos?  Loved it.  

Tim must have felt awful; Kenya made the changes he suggested and got aufed for it.  

The judges are going to be gobsmacked when they see the rest of Ayanna's collection; the looks are completely different from what she showed.  And not in a good way.  copssister mentioned Holly Hobby...exactly.

Margarita?  Not thrilled with her stuff.

Kentaro has a chance to take the win away from Brandon.  

Edited by elizabethann

Shannon   

Thank you for the info, ouch, poor Tim.

I don't, they already handed Strings the win, and he is so damn cocky about it he can barely stand his smug self.

Cher was cool before she became a robot.

I meant to add that I loved the flamingo print.

Edited by Shannon

I liked Brandon's weekly stuff way more than his collection pieces. I loved all the sting looks. I did really like the bibbed piece he showed, but the paper bag look, not so much. His collection is more obviously feminine that his weekly pieces, but I liked them as they were. 

Ayanna's Holly Hobby looks were just bad, but I loved the athletic leisure looks. The colors were a bit drab, but I really, really liked the overall looks of the pieces. They were sporty, but fashionable. They could be made as modest as you wanted and could be built on. I honestly feel like she's a legit threat to Brandon now. 

Poor Kentaro got too inside his head. Tim's face and reaction to the music and the dead cat story said it all and renewed my Tim Gunn love. I had high hopes for him going into the season, but I've seen his collection and unfortunately it was just not as good as he is capable of.

The less said about Margarita, the better. Her stuff is just as ugly as her attitude. How she thought the tacky gold rings were going to be a good idea tells me everything I need to know about her as a designer. If she comes away as the winner, she will be a total joke. 

MrsGryn   

It certainly is the most diverse final four we've ever had on this show. A little bit of everything. Why, a cynic might conclude that the obviously better designer that is Kenya was left out because of it. 

Kentaro shot himself in the foot.  He didn't even mention the musical connection, which I think might have been cerebral enough to convince the judges that things weren't as bad as the two-look non-collection might seem.

I felt so bad for Kenya.  That black dress bad beyond bad, but I'd rather see her collection that Margarita's any day.

I do have one question... What was with everyone's use of almost the same shade of peach in their collection?  In as much as Margarita's was gaudy, at least she showed that there are other colors of fabric available!