MrsGryn

Food Shows

Well, that sucks, but I do agree with the decision. Their reasons sounded very legit and I can't always say that with TC. I have no doubts she's going to have an amazing, amazing career ahead of her. Even if she's only making toast!

MrsGryn   

Most of her toast sounded delicious so sign me up to visit Carrie's House of Toast. 

I like Joe Flamm and I like Adrienne. Mustache Joe's dad was kind of awesomely sweet, which helps moderate my dislike of Mustache Joe. At least they all seem well-qualified and all belong in the finale.

Somehow, I fell a week behind in watching.....so, before we chat about the finale/winner, let us take a moment to reflect on the fact that Mustache Joe's departure was due to DRY TOAST.  If he'd made "fancy toast" as he teased Carrie, perhaps he'd have stayed in the competition - thank you, Karma (and Top Chef editors).

Now, onto the finale.  Really, there wasn't a loser between Adrienne and Joe Flamm.  All of their dishes sounded amazing.  When it came to the pick of assistant chefs, I was sure Adrienne would have the advantage of having Chris and Carrie by her side.  In fact, I was surprised that Chris didn't advise her against smashing some of the black-eyed peas.  

All in all, a good season with a worthy winner who lost a sudden death quickfire challenge to end up in Last Chance Kitchen but won his way back into the competition by kicking the butts of every LCK opponent.  Now, where can I find some river rock tortellini?  

Here's a retrospective interview with Tom Colicchio regarding this Top Chef season, including how they decided upon the winner.  Also, given his comment about no villain contestants, he's clearly not met Mustache Joe or he must have missed the edited episodes.  

CazBot   

Nailed It on Netflix is quite amusing.  They take average people who like to bake (not that they know how) and have them try to recreate amazing feats of bakery, only to fail spectacularly.  Much fun!

MrsGryn   
6 hours ago, copssister said:

Here's a retrospective interview with Tom Colicchio regarding this Top Chef season, including how they decided upon the winner.  Also, given his comment about no villain contestants, he's clearly not met Mustache Joe or he must have missed the edited episodes.  

Claudia was much more of a villain to me than Mustache Joe, who struck me as just a young and arrogant chef. Claudia personally belittled Carrie, threw her teammates under the bus a couple of times, and at one point (I'm pretty sure) insinuated racism played a role on her being booted.

I'll give you that - honestly, I'd completely forgotten about Claudia.  She was much worse than Mustache Joe, who irked me mainly because of his dismissive attitude toward Carrie's fancy toast..  

19 hours ago, CazBot said:

Nailed It on Netflix is quite amusing.  They take average people who like to bake (not that they know how) and have them try to recreate amazing feats of bakery, only to fail spectacularly.  Much fun!

Oh my goodness - such campy fun.  I watched the first episode and while I do love Jacques, I'm yearning for an entire season's worth of Sylvia Weinstock!

On 3/12/2018 at 11:23 AM, CazBot said:

I started watching it.  Can’t stand the host, but OGG... Season 1, episode 6!  Awesome!

Shannon   

I can't stand the hostess on Nailed It! either, and it's not that she isn't funny sometimes, it's her screaming all the time.  Someone needs to bitch slap her until she learns to speak like a normal person.  But oh my are the results of these contestants are too hilarious not to watch, even with the screeching hotmess.

Tsylyst   

I barely made it through the first episode because of the host and her ridiculous screaming. Plus, she isn't funny. Saying not funny stuff loudly doesn't make it funny.