MrsGryn

Food Shows

Damn if Carrie didn't come through again - diving into the camping challenge by baking a cake, which wasn't a hobo pie, took some balls.  Then, to build her own oven at the campsite and run a trial/error batch to adjust the timing/heat.  Wow.  

Other than that, I don't remember much other than Chris came very close to leaving the competition too early.  

MrsGryn   

Carrie should have won that, if only for the fact that she was the one who set up camp, helped everyone, and baked a cake in a campfire! Girl has skills. 

I liked Tu personally but he didn't seem to plate a good dish the whole season so far. One of those talented chefs who gets inside his head too much, trying to out-fancy the guy next to him. Collichio had it right: better to cook one simple thing really well than three mediocre items.

Sorry to see LeeAnn leave due to illness - sweet of the other chefs to state the obvious that she'd have kicked all their asses if she'd stayed.  

I see nothing wrong with a fusion German dish presented via an eggroll.  It was too soon for Brother to leave.  I hope he continues to battle back via Last Chance Kitchen.  

Let me get this straight.....not only was Mustache Joe's quick-fire dish way too smokey and nearly got him booted, but then he made bland, gummy mac and cheese bites which didn't even fry up properly.  Yet, we have happy-Joe and Fatima leave before him for lesser evils.  That dude must have an uncle on the production staff.  

Yea for fancy toast for the win!  I love that Carrie cooks simple food really well.  No foams or infusions or lentils replacing beans.....she just cooks good food.  

MrsGryn   

And everything Carrie cooks is something I want to eat. That's quite a feat for certain TV cooking shows. 

Agreed about Mustache staying longer than Joe Flamm and Fatima. It seems wrong, but then so to Quickfire Sudden Death cookoffs. I do not like those. 

Right now my descending order of favorability goes:

Carrie

Chris

Bruce

Adrienne

....lots of space....

Mustache Joe

Carrie's fancy toast might be my favorite dish ever. I have liked her since the start and I too would like to eat anything she makes. Her attitude is just so sunny that it make us for even the minor missteps she's made. I'm not hating Mustache Joe as much as I did at the beginning, but he's still tied with Bruce as my least favorite. Nothing either of them has made has blown me away and a good hunk of both of their dishes just seem like fails. 

Kyara   

I'm going to plug Chef's Table on Netflix again since they're releasing a new season April 13. It's called Chef's Table - Pastry and will focus on pastry chefs. Christina Tosi, owner of Milk Bar, and judge on Masterchef Junior will be featured on one episode. It's a beautiful, interesting show.. like watching art on tv. Give it a shot.

MrsGryn   

You make me almost want to get Netflix! 

Watched Hell's Kitchen this season. Michelle won, so okay. I like that we had another female winner, though I had been rooting for Bitchy Nick all season. My favorite stuff was the shade thrown at Elise by the editors. Crying at the end because she wasn't the winner was delicious. 

I love reading restaurant menus (it gives me ideas for things to cook). A few years ago my friends and I ate at his restaurant "Steak" in Las Vegas. It was fantastic. Next time we go to LV, I want to try the Hell's Kitchen restaurant. What should I choose? Hmmm.... Dinner Menu for HK (warning: PDF file)

Kyara   

I was hoping Nick would win too, but honestly, I would have been fine with any of the final 3 winning. I suspect they're all pretty great. I ate at Bobby Flay's restaurant in Ceasar's years ago which was great and I'd definitely give Hell's Kitchen a shot. I'd be tempted by the pre-fixe, but I'd actually get the lobster risotto, pumpkin soup, and beef Wellington. He better have a dessert menu too!

How the hell can they basically call Mustache Joe's "puffs" hockey pucks and then give him the win?  It's been a while since I've disliked a cheftestant as much as I do this Joe.  

Very sad to see Chris go home - I was hoping they'd call this week a draw and let them all stay.

I'm calling it now - Carrie will win this season by kicking Mustache Joe's ass in the finale with yet another version of her "toast".  His ego must be preventing him from recognizing her talent because your dish LOST again to someone who made "toast", Idiot.  Step it up or pack your knives.  

I like Carrie and want her to win it all. It sucks Chris got set packing over Joe though. His quail was overdone, but his baking was better. I though the whole point was baking. 

MrsGryn   

Silly nixiechick. The whole point is whims of Tom Collichio. 

Carrie rocks. I hope she wins it all. She's humble, she's helpful, she's nice and apparently she makes tasty food. Winning combination!

Nooooooo!!  I don't even want to watch the finale.  What are the chances that Carrie comes back as his helper and sabotages Mustache Joe's finale dishes?