MrsGryn

Food Shows

MrsGryn   

I'm starting this thread if only to talk about the search for the Next Iron Chef. Just watched the show tonight and really enjoyed it a lot. The usual reality contest show set up: contestants, competitions, an elimination. Why am I liking this show? It's brutal! All these highly trained, very successful chefs getting knocked around by stuff like having to debone a chicken, filet a salmon, shuck oysters ("arsters" in the local dialect) and clams, etc. Fun stuff.

Daisylou   

Looks like it will be much better than "Search for the Next Food Network Star". Like, don't they have enough hosts already?

I am excited to watch this though. Are they replacing an Iron Chef or just adding a new one? Are clogs and shorts optional?

Robyn   

I love Food Network. My favorite shows are Ace of Cakes and Dinner Impossible.

I have never watched Iron Chef, I may have to catch it.

Kyara   

Iron Chef America is a great show, although the original Japanese version is much more interesting (and campy!), in my opinion. We watched Next Iron Chef last night and liked it. It's on series recording for sure! I just wish I knew if they were replacing someone or adding a new chef.

Roberta   

The original Iron Chef was a Japanese show. The judges were all famous Japanese food critics. They dubbed it for reruns in the American market and it was such a hit that they developed the Iron Chef America from it. While I have enjoyed the Iron Chef America series ( in its second or third year..) the Japanese one was really brutal and the main ingredient was often something I had never seen nor heard of before.

MrsGryn   
...the Japanese one was really brutal and the main ingredient was often something I had never seen nor heard of before.

And often never wanted to see again, in my case. Bleeech! But oh so fun to watch.

I haven't heard about any of them leaving so no clue if they are adding or replacing one.

Daisylou   

When I first saw the Japanese version way back when I had a hard time deciding if the commentary was even real or not.

It was so funny to me that I thought they had American comedians dubbing instead of actual people translating.

But I may have been drinking.

MrsGryn   

Well, I enjoyed last night's episode for the Next Iron Chef, though I was sorry to see the other female chef go. Josie Davie certainly seemed to enjoy playing with all the crazy stuff at least. I'm liking Michael Symon quite a bit and John Besh is still up there. Aaron Sanchez seems way too intense for me to enjoy watching him on I.C.A. I want my IC's to have a sense of humor, ala Mario or Sakai from the original Japanese show, as they compete, not be grim and sour.

tooletta   

The Next Food Network Star didn't fail to deliver some good entertainment again for their season opener. The offerings from the thirty minute challenge were pathetic! Meatloaf and potatoes au gratin in a half hour?? Come on! Especially when you're cooking for a table full of the network's chefs. There were several people that deserved to go, but I did agree with the judge's decision to cut Cory. Her point of view was to bring teh funny along with great cooking, yet she failed to do both. (Do I remember her from Last Comic Standing, or something else?) I'm already sick of Nipa. Lisa, (the Dallas Diva), should bring some fun drama and you gotta love the sensitive 19 year-old, (Shane).

I'm kinda digging Aaron and Adam so far.

moved from general reality shows after KK pointed out my error. D'oh!

Edited by tooletta

The Next Food Network Star didn't fail to deliver some good entertainment again for their season opener. The offerings from the thirty minute challenge were pathetic! Meatloaf and potatoes au gratin in a half hour?? Come on! Especially when you're cooking for a table full of the network's chefs. There were several people that deserved to go, but I did agree with the judge's decision to cut Cory. Her point of view was to bring teh funny along with great cooking, yet she failed to do both. (Do I remember her from Last Comic Standing, or something else?) I'm already sick of Nipa. Lisa, (the Dallas Diva), should bring some fun drama and you gotta love the sensitive 19 year-old, (Shane).

I'm kinda digging Aaron and Adam so far.

I was going to post under the Food Network thread but got distracted. I'm sure I will later, but I just had to say that I was SHOCKED! at how badly Cory choked. I would have thought Last Comic Standing would have been much harder than this, but maybe not since those guys don't have to appeal to both the audience's taste buds and taste in humor.

Also, I'm almost afraid to admit to being a Lisa from Texas.

moved from general reality show thread. Thanks for the reminder! ~tooletta

Edited by tooletta

Okay, this is a promising bunch, I think. Entertainment-wise, that is, if not to actually make it to air with an actual show.

Which reminds me...what happened to last season's winner? Has anyone seen her on anything? Or any of the other winners except Guy "I've not only been everywhere but I am everywhere" Fieri? I missed the first season but I thought the winners had a show for a while.

Anyway, I love Alton Brown. Let me just get that out of the way first.

Otherwise, I liked Aaron if only because he got a compliment from Morimoto! Adam seemed really accessable, and Bouncy Cheerleader Chick Kelsey was okay, too, though she reminds me of that chick on Saturday Night Live.

Still, like tooletta said on the other thread, I think some of the choices were unfortunate. Kitchen Sink meatloaf? Did you not watch the meatloaf fiasco last season? Yeah, I know this was different, but still.

And poor Shane with his undercooked pork. He seems like a really sweet kid and I'm sure it was embarrassing to plate that.

Lisa. Wow. She's like a cartoon character, isn't she? Saving the world through haute cuisine? Oh, puh-leeze.

Oh well, lunch is over now, gotta run.

Since the double-post was really due to my error, I'm not going to merge the posts. Sorry Fisty! ~tooletta

Edited by tooletta

Shannon   

Is Nipa the one without the spice? What a piece of work she is, denial runs deep in her dutch oven! Can't wait to see her meltdown in the next show.

The meatloaf disaster, the only thing that saved them was that Miss Comic wasn't even able to work up a smile much less a couple of funnies. What a slab of cement her personality is!

tooletta   

Wow, I'd almost forgotten about Dan & Steve. I guess they faded into oblivion after their show was canceled. I know Amy's show was scheduled to premiere some time late last year, but I believe it was canceled after just a few eps.

eta~ Heh. Yep, here's what Wikipedia.com says about Amy Finley's short-lived FN career:

The show aired from October 14 to December 23, 2007, for a total of six episodes, after which it was quietly replaced in its timeslot with reruns of Guy's Big Bite. Following months of speculation, Finley revealed in May 2008 that she had voluntarily turned down the opportunity to return for a second season, citing the stress of the obligations of being a television personality.
Edited by tooletta