MrsGryn

Dancing With The Stars

Who thought it was a good idea for Shania Twain be a judge?  She had no idea what she was talking about, she was shrill, and her performance was so obviously lip synced that it was laughable.

angelmi   

She was horrible judging and made the show run over because of her long comments.  And she was lip singing and messed that all up too on her song.  So sorry to see Nick go but his brother was a way better dancer.  

An all-athlete season, huh?  Huh.  Yeah, huh.  Including the Kardashian of Figure Skating, Ms. Tonya Harding who will be dancing each week to Bob Marley's "Redemption Song".  

MrsGryn   

Here is the list of stars and partners:

Tonya Harding with Sasha Farber
Adam Rippon with Jenna Johnson
Mirai Nagasu with Alan Bersten
Jamie Anderson with Artem Chigvintsev
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with Lindsay Arnold
Arike Ogunbowale with Gleb Savchenko
Chris Mazdzer with Witney Carson
Jennie Finch Daigle with Keo Motsepe
Johnny Damon with Emma Slater
Josh Norman with Sharna Burgess

Either DWtS scraped the bottom of the barrel to find athletes willing to embarrass themselves, or I'm out of the loop (SLOWOLD).  I only recognized three of the names for sure - two others are sorta familiar.

tlh9   

You did better than me ~ I only recognized two names for sure, with two "maybe-kinda-sorta-somewhat-familiar"s... 

Aside from the whole Olympic thing, which I might have forgot about by now otherwise ~ Tonya is a "home-town girl".  

AVorlon   

Don't feel bad about not knowing who these people are.  I'm a big sports fan, and I don't know who most of them are either. I guess you can be a "celebrity" in your own sport,   even if no one else knows who you are.  I would look these people up,  but I don't care enough to bother. 

I did just watch the Tonya Harding movie a few weeks ago, so maybe it'll be interesting to see if the crowd still treats her like a villain. 

Edited by AVorlon

Here is a little more information about the danceletes.  The rankings were made by a blogger from the Washington Post.  I cut out his commentary so as not to break any laws/rules.  

10. Chris Mazdzer, Olympic luger

9. Jamie Anderson, Olympic snowboarder

8. Johnny Damon, retired Major League Baseball player

7. Josh Norman, Washington Redskins cornerback

6. Jennie Finch Daigle, retired Olympic softball player

5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, retired NBA legend

4. Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame women’s basketball player

3. Tonya Harding, retired Olympic figure skater

2. Mirai Nagasu, Olympic figure skater

1. Adam Rippon, Olympic figure skater

Jade   

If all you do is take their Olympic sport into consideration, that ranking might make some sort of sense.  And, I suppose Kareem Abdul-Jabbar might be some sort of sentimental favorite from the older segment of the audience that might knock him closer to the top.

But, from a skills perspective, I find it hard to believe Jamie Anderson deserves a 9th place rating.  She's 27, VERY fit, strong with crazy endurance, and she's going to look great in those silly ballroom gowns.  She definitely deserves to be closer to the top of that list.

I feel this season could have been Mirai's to lose (Yamaguchi factor) - yet given her track record to pull off her niche skill (triple axel) when it really counts, she'll more likely end up in third place.  If they'd have Adam Rippon partner with a male professional dancer - he'd have won the season without question.  ABC dropped the ball on that one, since he was the first out-and-proud gay Olympian for USA.  Adam's very expressive and graceful and wildly dedicated, so compared to the rest of the field along with his proven ability to perform under pressure, my pre-season pick is him for the win.  Fun fact, Adam and Mirai are the best of friends, so it could be fun to watch them go through this JOURNEY together.  

MrsGryn   

Well, I kind of adore Kareem but because I'm a history nerd, not basketball. He writes some excellent, thought-provoking essays that are worth seeking out. I suspect he will last due to personal charisma and popularity more than dance skill.