Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

What Are You Watching Right Now?

MrsGryn   

With this past year, there has been so much time spent discovering shows in streaming services, I'm curious to hear what everyone has discovered.

We subscribed to AppleTV+ to watch For All Mankind. It's an alternate history that supposes what would happen if the Russians beat us to the moon. It weaves in real life people and fictional characters, though even some of those are based on real people. While there are some clunky sub-plots, the main story is a great ride.

Other shows on AppleTV:

My absolute favorite show was Ted Lasso. Jason Sudekis is a mid-west American football coach and is hired by an English soccer team to be their coach. It's so funny, so sweet, and sometimes really hits you in the gut. Love, love, love this show. 

Third, we just finished a hilarious show called Mythic Quest. It's about a World of Warcraft type of game and the people to create it and keep it running. We've laughed out loud more at this show than anything. 

So what are you watching?

Kyara   

We’ve watched all those shows too, MrsGryn and loved them all. Season 2 of Ted Lasso starts July 23rd.. can’t wait!
We also loved Resident Alien on SyFy with Alan Tudyk and Dead Pixels, a British show about a couple of gamers, on the CW. The Expanse (sci-fi & politics), The Boys (superheroes gone bad) & Upload (digitally upload yourself when you die) on Amazon Prime were all great and all very different from each other. Raised by Wolves on HBO Max is a sci-fi show from Ridley Scott about two androids tasked with raising human children on another planet. And if you haven’t seen it, check out Mrs. America on Hulu. Amazing cast, amazing (mostly true) story!

MrsGryn   

Oh, The Boys. Yes, we watched all of that. That show kept me guessing a lot.

My brother-in-law raves about The Expanse. I guess we should watch that! Trying to get through Turn about Washington's spies during the Revolution (Lots of stuff I like about it but the main character is a stupid little shit who is bad at spying). 

Will definitely look up the other suggestions!

I kept passing by Ted Lasso because Jason Sudeikis looks like such a goober in the promo picture on AppleTV. But then I kept reading rave reviews and he was nominated for so many awards, I gave it a shot. I binged the entire season in a day and a half. I loved it! And yes, it gets you in all the feels. I laughed, I cried, I can't wait for the second season!

AVorlon   

Just watched the Late Show on CBS, where they discussed if the word "bitch" could be said on the network. Marlee Matlin was the guest, and she uses sign language. Stephen was wondering if CBS would blur her hands if she used a swear word, so she signed "fuck you". Not just once, but about six times.   They did indeed blur her hands.

MrsGryn   

Apropos of the conversation from last year, we started watching The Expanse and are now addicted to it. Just finished season 2 and we are neglected our other regular viewing during the dinner hour to watch The Expanse. 

AVorlon   

I enjoyed watching the first four seasons of The Expanse on DVD.  Still waiting for season 5. In the meantime, just finished season 3 of "After Life" with Ricky Gervaise. It's about coping with the loss of a loved one, and I got a lot out of it. 

Also working through Schiit's Creek, about to hit season 5. 

MrsGryn   

So what other shows are people watching right now? 

We just finished up the first season and first half of the second season of Resident Alien. LOVE it, and not just because Alan Tudyk is the lead and does a brilliant job. The alien story is both dark and hilarious but that's not the be all end all. The women on the show are such fully realized characters, with all their flaws and messiness and abiding friendships through thick and thin. Sort of like actual women. Also the music is so interesting and has me looking up music and artists I never would have come across before. 

And our new favorite line to say in our house is "This is some bullshit." Cracks me up every time.

I fell instantly in love with 1883 before watching Yellowstone. The cast is beyond outstanding. I spent the whole season praying that the foreshadowing was a dream. Then, I had to watch Yellowstone which is really good in a completely different way.

And, Only Murders In The Building... equal parts entertaining, charming and clever. (I went into this thinking I'd hate Martin Short and Steve Martin. I was pleasantly surprised.)

Kyara   

Love Resident Alien!! Can’t wait for the second half of season two.

Also really liked 1883 and we’ve watched Yellowstone since the beginning (go Beth!). I was kind of glad 1883 was a single season because I felt like it was a fully realized story and didn’t  need a second season. I’m looking forward to 1923 with Helen Mirren and Harrison Ford. Hope it holds up.

We’re watching the final season of Better Call Saul and I can’t recommend it enough. It’s incredibly well done. I’ve never really seen a spin-off that surpasses the original before.

We’re really looking forward to House of the Dragon (GoT prequel) and LoTR: Rings of Power. 

My husband loved Ted Lasso. I found it alternately cloying and harsh. Also, just not that in to competitive team sports so the setting is "meh" for me. I'm thrilled that there's a new season of The Great British Baking Show (Bake Off) and have binged multiple seasons of The Great Pottery Throw Down which scratches the same itch. I really miss the sad jazz music that used to accompany the winner and loser of the week, but every season delivers. I started the Dahmer series on Netflix but find that although I can handle all kinds of gruesome content in a documentary, an immersive, detailed account using actors is pretty unpleasant to sit through. For light fare I really enjoyed the British, original version of "Ghosts". The CBS version is pretty bad in comparison. Husband and I like to stay up late and watch the Sumo tournament highlights on NHK. Next tournament starts November 13!

Edited by artamnesia