Tsylyst

Literature

AVorlon   

Never heard of some of these things before. The only WWII novels I've read were by Connie Willis, a major science fiction author who is really into history. "Blackout" and "All Clear" were written from the perspective of time travelers going back to London during the blitz. I think  they were well Witten, and give you a good idea of what it would be like to live there during that phase of the war.  

I don't think time travel is possible, but it's a good excuse to write about history without actually writing a textbook. 

AVorlon   

I don't normally read mystery novels, but I like to branch out every once in a while. I was very impressed with "Before the Fall" by Noah Hawley. Very clearly written,  which is a style I like.

It won the Edgar award for best novel of 2017.  I wish he would write more novels, but it seems more like a side job for him. 

AVorlon   
Posted (edited)

Official blurb...

On a foggy summer night, eleven people--ten privileged, one a down-on-his-luck painter--depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet for New York. The plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are the painter and a four-year-old boy, who is now the remaining member of an immensely wealthy media mogul's family.

The author explores the backgrounds of everyone on board,  as we try to piece together what happened.

I particularly liked the psychology behind the characters, and the detailed descriptions of their motivations.    

Edited by AVorlon

Putting that on my list.  I'm going through a phase of voracious reading - sometimes staying up until the wee hours to finish a book.  This sounds promising.  And I always perk up at the mention of Martha's Vineyard.

It is.  I'm deep into Tell Me Everything.  It's about a group of friends at a college in Maine.  All of them have secrets; one of them is keeping track to use later.  Fascinating!