Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

Survivor 40: Winners at War

uaintjak   

Well all the people I like survived the first 2 tribals, so that's good.  Extinction Island should have stayed extinct, it was stupid the first time and much like all the Jurassic Park sequels, it seems like it can only get worse when they try it again.  The token thing...eh.  If this was Big Brother someone would have spent them all by now and the token box would have caught fire and burned Jeff's blue shirt closet, but this is Survivor, so I'd say there's a 50/50 shot of it being interesting.  The first episode did not leave me hopeful, however.

Tsylyst   

MrsGryn's excellent recap mentions the amount of money they are getting. I dug up the EW article from a few weeks ago to make sure I had told her right:

cast members for Survivor: Winners at War (which premieres Feb. 12 on CBS) all will be receiving $25,000 guarantees in addition to the standard $10,000 appearance fee for the live reunion show as well as whatever prize money they may earn along the way (starting with $2,500 for the first one voted out). That was incentive enough to draw back many winners Jeff Probst worried would not return to play again.

But what the players did not know until they showed up on the beach was that the prize money for winning the season would be doubled to $2 million.

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/22/survivor-jeff-probst-winners-at-war-prize-money/

So it's $35,000, PLUS the tiered amount they get for how long they go without being voted out. Twinnie Nat automatically gets $27,500 and another $10,000 if she shows up for the live reunion. I'd take that for a couple days' work and raise the sail on Extinction as soon as I set foot on that beach -- give me my money and get me outta here! But then I'm lazy and you wouldn't see me out there to begin with.

That $10,000 for the reunion show sounds standard for all seasons as a sort of insurance to keep players in line. If they get dis-invited to the reunion (*cough*GRABBYDAN*cough*), they lose out on a fat check.

uaintjak   

I remember when Tsy hated Survivor and refused to watch.  We were all so young then...

Tsylyst   

From hearing what people from older seasons were saying about adjusting to the current game play, it sounds like those early days were really boring. I remember trying to watch it early on and it never caught my attention.

yesteach   

No way I'd have let Sandra survive that first tribal... However, in my discussions with friends last night, we decided we'd keep Rob around until he got a fire started, built a shelter and caught some fish... Boot him just before the merge... 

Magpie   

After watching Rob have to throw his entire tribe one by one over the log roll, I'd say they badly need to keep him around for awhile. 

uaintjak   

Amber was a smart first boot for her tribe, but I'd make sure Sandra was next to go.

MrsGryn   

Thanks for the details on the payment structure, Tsy. I agree....raise the flag and get to the spa!

AVorlon   

I'm petty sure that the "poker alliance" doesn't amount to anything, and I was glad to see Kim stay, if only because I don't remember her and want her to stick around.

Agree that Amber was a good choice to get rid of, because that is a REAL connection with another player.  Speaking of Boston Rob, he  really impressed me  right off the bat, and now I'm conflicted  about voting him out. I would rather see Sandra go, but she's on another tribe and now has an immunity idol for some reason. What was Natalie thinking, selling that to her?

Magpie   

I don't recall them showing us her reasoning, but she did have to sell it to someone from the losing tribe (which was not her own tribe). Maybe she didn't know anyone over there, so chose the name she recognized, maybe she admires Sandra's prior wins... could be anything, really, including pure randomness. My personal guess is that Natalie hoped to make it back into the game, and she thought that selling that to Sandra might help her out post-merge as a bit of insurance with Sandra.

uaintjak   

I don't understand the "He's too scary, we can't vote him out" attitude.  Uh...if he's scary, vote his fat ass out and then you don't have to worry about him anymore.

Magpie   

The problem with that plan is that he might come back. The stupid island ruins everything.

uaintjak   

Yeah but what happens if you keep him around and Amber is the one who comes back?  Dumb dumb dumb.  And ExStinkShun Island is the dumbest of all.

tlh9   

Or i suppose if you take a shot at him and miss because some people switch up their vote -- then all eyeballs are on you..... so you'd have to be sure you trust everyone.

Could Rob have been trying to get voted out? He knew Amber was on dinosaur island, he could be sitting there with her for who knows how many days just chilling with her before getting a chance to get back in. Thats the only reason I can come up with for his stupid puzzle playing. 

As for other players, Ethan better hope he stays in good graces, he looked like the comp kicked his ass and they are only a few days in.