Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Survivor 39 - Episode 10 - Weekend at MrsGryn's

MrsGryn   

So let me explain: had a friend in town and we did an overnight trip to the Eastern Shore of Maryland to explore a new Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad trail and go see the wild horses on Assateague Island. We stayed the night at a brand name hotel and when “Survivor” started, I plopped down on the room’s couch to watch. As soon as I sat my fundament down, the couch cushions went WHOOOMP! and I got sucked down into the sleeper-sofa like I was a bug and this was a Venus fly trap. I mentioned this dilemma to my fellow HT admins and their reaction was what you would expect: no sympathy, much laughter, and a comparison to Karishma’s ineptness. Jerks. I wouldn’t want to be in any other alliance. Now back to this week’s episode.

Post-worst-tribal-council-ever, Janet is feeling very sad and defeated. She expresses that she is still not sure if she wants to stay there but by the next morning she has worked through the doubts and disappointment at having been played, and she double downs on being determined to stay in the game as an example to her daughters, her granddaughter, and her husband, and her beach (lifeguarding) family. I honestly could not love TinyTank more than I already do. She is not a great Survivor player by modern standards of the game itself, but as a person? Spectacular. And by comparison, Weekend at Karishma’s looks even worse. The night is one of those brutally rainy, stormy nights Fiji seems to get at least once a season. At some point, a mouse makes its way into camp and jumps into Weekend at Karishma’s mouth. She screams and wakes everyone up, which okay if a mouse jumped into my mouth in the middle of the night I would do the same thing, no lie. Lauren, TinyTank, and Noura all make reassuring noises at her, but of course that is not good enough and the next morning there is talk about how Weekend at Karishma’s complained all night long. Everyone is unhappy, there is water and sand over everything. Elizabeth looks absolutely miserable and her hands are waterlogged. Boo hoo. She gets some comfort from others and manages to rally herself back to island normal in the light of the morning.

Weekend at Karishma’s, on the other hand, mopes around and pretends to be sleeping upright while sitting in the hammock when Dan asks if she would help in chopping up some wood for the fire. This leads to a great talking head from Noura who compares her to an eighty-five year old woman who expects everyone to do everything for her. Hey, I’ve been around quite a few older women and most of them are more TinyTank than Weekend at Karishma’s. My husband’s grandmother, who lived to be 100, would have had that entire camp up at dawn, cleaned up and organized, and getting Dan to light her Camels for her. Don’t disrespect the old broads, Noura. In any case, Noura asks Weekend at Karishma’s to walk along the path and gather coconuts and despite acting like it is a mighty struggle, the resident PitA manages to get up off the hammock and wander around, aimlessly picking up stray coconuts and shaking them. Weekend at Karishma’s gives us a bit of an insight into what went wrong: she had a vision of herself on Survivor being Queen of the Jungle and bonding with everyone out there, making friends, earning respect, and though she doesn’t say it, winning the game AND America’s Favorite Player in a unanimous vote. Then she goes on to say she has realized her husband, in choosing to love her and be in a marriage for the rest of their lives, is the real hero to her. And I’m sorry, wasn’t just a couple of weeks ago where she was talking about how her husband and she are basically cordial roommates who pass each other in the hall and nod politely? I am hoping beyond all hope that Weekend at Karishma’s makes it to the fabled family visit. The question remains if I want her husband to be there or for someone else to show up instead and let that marinate in her pathetic paranoia for a while. And, thanks to Noura suggesting she look for coconuts that might just happen. Weekend at Karishma’s does what no one else thought she could: find an idol. Bah.

As she makes her way back to camp, she passes the water well, where Noura, Tommy, and Lauren are talking about the next vote (decided: Weekend at Karishma’s, then Janet). They see that she has been gone for an hour and has only two coconuts to show for it. Some concern for her well-being is expressed by Lauren mostly about calling the doctor for her since she seems out of it and loopy. Yeah, no. Weekend at Karishma’s was playing up not feeling well to cover for her lost time and it backfired on her. She likely figured that would get them to leave her alone, but instead they acted concerned for her health. What a bunch of jerks who obviously hate her and want to get her removed from the game because they feel threatened by her power! HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, my. Delusion. It’s what’s for dinner. Also coconuts.

Immunity challenge time! Damn, this is early. Probst is wearing a Glidden Paint Bright Sailing Sky blue shirt, for those keeping score at home. Unlike Noura and certain HT admins, I am going to pay attention to the rules of this challenge. Survivors will be standing on a narrow beam as they roll a BALL around the inside of a hoop. They have to keep the BALL continually spinning as they move down to narrower portions of the beam during timed intervals. Now for the game twist: the tribe will be divided into two groups. One person from each group will win immunity. Both groups go to tribal council separately and vote out one person from that group. Division comes by luck of the draw, and the groups end up as such: Orange with Missy, Tommy, Elaine, Elizabeth, Weekend at Karishma’s, and Purple with Noura, A-a-ron, Dan, Dean, Lauren, TinyTank. Survivors ready? GO! Everyone gets their BALLS going, with TinyTank employing a bouncing method that looks like it will wear her out quickly. The challenge barely gets going before Weekend at Karishma’s has dropped her ball and is out of the running. Probst apparently finds this the right time to mention that the last person with their ball still turning from either group will win peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for that same group. Also, that group will go to Tribal Council last so they have the advantage of seeing how the first group voted. Very quickly Orange is left to Elaine and Missy, while Purple has Noura, Dean, and TinyTank bouncing along. As Probst calls for the ones still swirling to move down to the next portion of the beam, TinyTank drops her ball. It’s just as well because that bounce was bound to break at some point. Soon after Dean drops his ball which gives Noura immunity. We can hear A-a-ron tell her to keep going but Noura gives no fucks and tosses her hoop in the air while screaming WOOOOO!!!! Either Dan, or Dean (my guess) calls her stupid. Maybe they were referring to her action of giving up the PB&J stupid but nah, probably meant CrazyNoura. And yeah, she does not care, which I find hilarious and very Noura-ish. Orange is pretty stoked about getting the treat, and soon thereafter, Missy’s ball goes flying. Elaine wins the second immunity tiki torch necklace. Both Noura and Elaine ask Probst for hugs, which he gladly gives, and Elaine even steals a kiss on his cheek. ELAINE! Did you learn NOTHING from the last tribal council?

Orange is dismissed from the challenge arena and Purple is send to the old Lairo camp with some basic supplies. The Lairo camp looks much like the old Lairo tribe: broken, uncomfortable, useless except for a couple of bamboo poles still standing. Aaron hates it there as it reminds him of how his game got screwed up at the very first vote. He believes the vote is an easy one to get rid of Janet and he confirms this with Noura. Not so fast there, buddy. Noura sees an opportunity to take out Big Physical Threat A-a-ron and she works the others to come to this conclusion. The only one unhappy with this idea is Dean, as he enjoys the meatshield to his game that is Aaron. What is it with Dean, anyway? He always looks so unhappy, like he is sucking on a lemon that has been doused in kerosene. Just look at his expression next time. His mouth is turned down, his brows are knitted together and I think he needs a goosing from Grabby Dan to shake up his malaise. Speaking of which, Dan and Janet reconnect and agree to bury the past and work together again, and Dean and Dan agree that TinyTank will win this game if she gets to the end. Well, duh. She is kind of awesome and you guys kind of suck. Aaron is pretty sure Janet is going home and he is safe.

Over on the Orange group, PB&J is being enjoyed but the tribe, however I cannot abide the jelly leaking through the bread. It is an abomination, much like Weekend at Karishma’s still being in the game. Missy decides she is going to go ahead and flip on voting out Weekend at Karishma’s. She pulls Elizabeth aside and suggests voting out Tommy to separate him from Lauren and thus ensure that Lauren is completely on their side. In addition, Missy knows Tommy can win and there is no way ANY of these people are voting for Weekend at Karishma’s. I’m certain her own mother isn’t voting for Weekend at Karishma’s at this point. Missy does what Missy does and pulls everyone’s favorite anchor/goat aside to give her marching orders on how to vote. First thing Weekend at Karishma’s does is start to whine about not wanting to go home, but Missy isn’t having any of that conversation. She cuts her off and tells her, “Vote Tommy.” Missy tries to keep explaining to Weekend at Karishma’s how to act and what to do and the older woman is having NONE of it. Missy keeps talking at her and Karishma keeps walking away, with Missy actually putting her hand on Karishma’s arm and pulling her back, demanding two minutes. First, yeah, don’t pull at someone like that. Second, read the body language that is going on. Even as she informs Missy that she has been mean to Weekend at Karishma’s, Missy is simply not listening or reading between the lines. Hilariously, she walks away and Missy’s mouth is left hanging open. I’m kind of dying of laughter here, first at Missy being struck speechless, second that it was Weekend at Karishma’s who did it.

Now, I think Missy is great fun in this game and has been a blast to watch as she maneuvers and manipulates the rest of the players, from A-a-ron after that first vote to forming a girls’ alliance without actually calling it a girls’ alliance. Also, Missy’s personal life story really says something about her ability to overcome a really tough break, which is not something I have ever sensed from Weekend at Karishma’s. But Missy does tend to talk like a no-nonsense sports coach who is parsing out the plan and expects total obedience from her players/tribemates. I hate that I side with sad sack Karishma on this one but every time she shuts Missy down for the rest of the scene, around the campfire or in front of Elizabeth, it just cracks me up even more. If Missy had working with Elaine first and then gotten Elaine or even Elizabeth to bring up the Tommy vote to Weekend at Karishma’s, the tribal council might have gone very differently in the end. However, this approach just gave Weekend at Karishma’s a chance to get to Elaine and Tommy first. Elaine plays this exactly right, seeing that Missy is the real threat with her connection to Aaron. She and Tommy talk, but they agree that Weekend at Karishma’s has been so wishy-washy it might be dangerous to hinge the vote on her. Eventually, Missy and Elizabeth talk to Weekend at Karishma’s one on one and convince her that they want to work with her. Missy has a rather unkind camera talk where she basically “Ugh, Karishma, amirite?” We hear you, girl. We understand. But you should have worked on Weekend at Karishma’s a whole lot earlier in the game.

Tribal Council. Probst is wearing a Glidden Paint Niagara Reef Jade shirt, for those keeping score at home.  Boston Rob and Sandra and settled in their little grass shack with some snacks and win for all we know. The purple group comes in, consisting of Noura, Aaron, Janet, Grabby Dan, Dean, and Lauren. Then the jury comes in, while Dean rolls up his shirt. Boston Rob finds this hilarious and whispers to Sandra that Dean is showing off his muscles again. They giggle like little kids at a fart joke. Dan responds to Jeff’s question that the two groups were divided up in a good way since the people who were likely targets were on different groups. Janet acknowledges she knows she was on the bottom. Noura talks about how things happen like underestimating Dean which resulted in Jack going home. Aaron calls this tribal an opportunity to write his name down and dude, you probably should not have said that. Rob tells Sandra he thinks Aaron is going, Sandra is sticking with TinyTank. Time to vote.

Probst declares it time to tally the votes. Janet. Aaron. Aaron. Aaron. Aaron. Boston Rob triumphantly whispers to Sandra that he was right in his guess and Sandra gives him her patented, “yeah okay” look. Janet smiles at the jury members and Jack especially smiles back. Bringing his torch for snuffing, Aaron starts to walk down the path but Probst stops him and directs him to go sit on the jury bench. Ha! From game to lame in thirty seconds flat. Jeff sends them out to bring in the second group while we hear Aaron’s endgame comments. He knew it would happen sooner or later without immunity and he is actually pretty matter of fact about being voted out. Better than I expected him to be, actually.

Now on to the next tribal council. They are surprised to see Aaron sitting there, but none more so than Missy and Elizabeth, both of whom look sick to their stomachs. Missy declares that this is now how the jury should be looking. Well, sure, not according to her vision of the game and how it is going to get her to ONE MEELLION DOLLARS. It is really terrible when people do not roll over and play dead just because you want them to, Missy. But you won’t have to worry about it for very long. Elaine commends Probst for separating the groups and forcing some game play. Elizabeth tells Jeff that there was chaos back at camp. Missy outs Weekend at Karishma’s as causing chaos for her personally. Karishma claims she and Missy have been butting heads since day one – true – and she would rather just say her piece and walk away until things calm down. Uh…calm down? Do they need to calm down because YOU started a shitstorm or is your definition of calm down more along the lines of “Until I can figure out a snappy comeback”? I’m guessing the latter.

Missy calls for a time out and claims that Weekend at Karishma’s has gone above the game by calling Missy a bully for yelling at her and being aggressive. She is not happy at being labeled those things and refuses to consider that those names apply to her. Color me not thrilled about defending the very useless Weekend at Karishma’s again here, but to her and compared to her, Missy IS those things. Just because Missy doesn’t want to be called those names doesn’t mean that it isn’t Weekend at Karishma’s truth. And while I do not think Missy is a bully at ALL, I do think she is aggressive in her game play. This is not a knock on her, though. This is how she has been shaped by being an athlete in a team sport and by being in the military and by being a leader. Missy’s “aggression” is not a bad thing, it is not evil or mean or even necessarily overbearing to most people. Understanding how you come across to all sorts of personalities is something we learn along the way rather than when we are as young as Missy. She will figure it out. Sandra whispers to Boston Rob that there isn’t room in the tribe for the two of them. Elaine resists Jeff’s attempts to draw her into the controversy by claiming the beef is between Missy and Weekend at Karishma’s, so she is staying out of it.

So then Missy tells Probst that they are ready to vote but first! She wants to call him out on something. She tells him, “I love you….” And there is a long pause left in by the editors which is slightly awkward. Finally Missy goes on, “But the other day two African Americans wore the necklace at the same time and there was no mention of it at all. It doesn’t happen very often. Women are typically the first voted out, minorities are the second. So to have two minorities on the same day win the challenge and wear the necklace, that is just something that I feel like representation matter and I feel like my future nieces and nephews and future other family members need to see that because we are here too.” Okay. Quite a speech. Of course Probst loves it because he loves anything he senses is going to get traction on social media and perhaps erase the taint of the previous tribal council. His response is classic Probst: “I gotta say I love that you brought it up. I’m not sure I would have highlighted it. It actually never occurred to me but I think I would have been a little reluctant to for fear of saying, Wow like it’s something that you wouldn’t expect to happen.” Personally, I was a little too drawn up in all the Grabby Dan drama to even take notice, though I would point out to Missy that she seems to have forgotten that this week also has something unusual: two minority women with necklaces. (Noura is of Lebanese heritage.) Time to get work, Probst. Also, time to vote.

Probst goes to tally the votes. No one (Weekend at Karishma’s) uses an immunity necklace so here we go. Missy. Tommy. Tommy. Missy. (here Elizabeth’s eyes get HUGE and I start to laugh) Missy.

Missy is shocked! She says, “Yo…who did it?” Tommy looks her dead in the eye and says, “You came after me” and Missy responds with an incredulous, “I didn’t come after you!” HAHAHAHAH! I think the votes that came from you and your lackey Elizabeth CLEARLY show you came after Tommy. Why in the world are you trying to deny it now? Oh but Missy is not done yet ignoring the rule to immediately bring your torch to Probst and get snuffed. She first picks up the wrong torch. Then she hugs Elaine, who says she had to do what she had to do, which surprises Missy (which…why? Five votes, two of which are you and Elizabeth so….where the hell did you think the other two votes came from?). Then Weekend at Karishma’s stands up and tells her no hard feelngs and Missy says I was keeping you for the end. Boston Rob whispers to Sandra that they are all keeping Weekend at Karishma’s for the end and the two Idols are back to giggling again. Then she hugs Elizabeth and whispers to her that it is time to kill Elaine, slowly and methodically. WTF? She keeps talking to the jury and Probst is just letting her get away with it? That is foul. She gathered information and gave instructions to her minion before finally walking out. Not cool, Probst. Not. Cool. I am, however, comforted that Elizabeth is pretty useless out of the water. Kind of like me trying to get out of that hotel room couch.

Next week a chicken attacks Sandra. Nice knowing you, Billina.

Magpie   
2 hours ago, MrsGryn said:

Unlike Noura and certain HT admins, I am going to pay attention to the rules of this challenge. 

Well, it's not like you had anything better to do while you were wedged down between those couch cushions like Tsy's spare change. 

Tsylyst   
8 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Well, it's not like you had anything better to do while you were wedged down between those couch cushions like Tsy's spare change. 

Change? What is change?

Magpie   
3 hours ago, Tsylyst said:

Change? What is change?

OK, how about "like Tsy's spare socks"?

tlh9   

Ew.

I too thought all that extra time Missy got was a little questionable.  I mean sure, they've let people get a quick hug now and then before, but that was ridiculous.