Sign in to follow this  
Magpie

Vince Moua - Lairo - Eliminated Third...with an IDOL in his pocket

Magpie   

Photo and info courtesy CBS.COM

image.png

Hometown: Merced, California
Current residence: Palo Alto, California

Hobbies: Singing, photography, thrifting, and hunting for cool/unique cafes.

Pet peeves: When people are flaky and do not follow through with their promises. When people don't understand that the middle seat passenger has rights to both armrests. When people tell me, "Wow! Your English is really good!" and follow with, "Where did you learn English?" When people dismiss and/or invalidate my lived experience as a person of color.

Three words to describe you: Shamelessly-me, quick-witted ,and not-afraid-to-flip-tables.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
It might seem a bit trivial, but I am most proud of buying my mother a new and modern refrigerator for Mother's Day in 2017. She and my father were not able to afford new appliances and had been using the same old refrigerator for 12 years, so it was really meaningful for me to buy her something she really wanted and needed.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
Like so many children of refugees, I am here today because of my parents' sacrifices. My father's journey was especially harrowing. He, Txooj Zeb Muas, is my hero and quite literally, a true survivor. Faced with unknown odds, he risked everything to have a chance at living. At 16 years old, my father and his two cousins ran from the mountains of Laos—through jungles laced with landmines and buzzing with bullets from communist Viet Cong and Pathet Lao followers—to refugee camps in Thailand in an attempt to escape ethnic genocide of the Hmong and Mien people who were abandoned after being recruited for guerilla warfare. After miraculously making it across the Mekong River and into the camps, he was relocated to Montana with nothing more than the clothes on his back. Despite the struggles of being forced into a totally foreign country with no immediate family members, he has never given up on living life to its fullest potential. I have had the privilege of growing up without the fears of being exposed to Agent Orange, ethnic persecution, and displacement because of his resilience, his perseverance, his defiance, and his traumatic experiences.

What's one thing we wouldn't know from seeing a photo of you?
In 2015, after years of experiencing erratic and frightening out-of-body panic-attack-like episodes, my grandmother's Shaman Master declared that I was, and am, the next shaman to rise in our family!

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Vince is Vince. Survivor ain't never had anyone like me before, haha. IF I had to choose, I'd say a mix of Shii Ann Huang, because she didn't let nobody mess with her. The Shii Devil, Cirie Fields, because she's humble, analytical, strategic, and inspirational, and Natalie Anderson, because she was loyal, innovative, and an overall boss!

What's your primary motivation for being on Survivor?
Honestly, I am here to show minority young folk and people across the world that they matter, that their stories and narratives are important, and that they should never doubt their existence regardless of what others say. Survivor has been an integral part of my life. It showed me that a kid from Merced could dream of traveling abroad, take big risks, and be more than another statistic. I hope that winning the title of "Sole Survivor" inspires other kids to challenge the oppressive systems and institutions that seek to keep them down!

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
I have accumulated grit from the challenges that I've faced throughout my life and have always been able to gain the trust and confidence of others. I believe I can use my unassuming image and 209 vernacular to fool others into believing that I am not an immediate threat. However, I'd say I'm pretty crafty and will be able to use my smarts to create plans and execute votes that will eliminate anyone I feel is a threat to my game (if you're not with me, you're dead to me). I also understand how to deal with big egos and personal quirks and can use my social skills to build confidence among all characters. Lastly, I've got quite a mouth and can smack the Jury with an award-winning final Tribal Council speech to guarantee my win.

This might be one of the most thought out interviews I've read from a Survivor contestant yet. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for his game though. Very interesting, I'll give him that. 

MrsGryn   

I swear if he makes it to the family visit and his dad is there, I'm gonna freaking lose it and blubber like a walrus. 

Also he might want to try and recall if he ate a dish with funny mushrooms in it before he had those out of body experiences. 

On 9/9/2019 at 4:22 PM, Magpie said:

and had been using the same old refrigerator for 12 years,

So....does that mean I should be replacing my refrigerator?  What is the appropriate time?  Or perhaps it was and old refrigerator when she began using it 12 years ago.  Inquiring minds....

tlh9   

It's sweet that he got his mom a new fridge, but 12 years?  We had the same fridge from 1975 (when I was three) up until 1997.  It was "Harvest Gold" and everything.  So we have him beat by 10 years there.

Have to agree about his Dad, MrsG.

Gotta say, sometimes out-of-body experiences just happen.  And I hate mushrooms.  (blech!)

He really stretches those "three words", does he not?

I did kinda like him tonight though.

MrsGryn   

Definitely in the like column for me. He is going to be a lot tougher that it looks like on the surface. I suspect the endurance comps might be his thing. 

I've lived in my apartment for like 15 years and I doubt the fridge was new when I moved in. Maybe I should demand a new one. 

uaintjak   

I like him.  He was throwing some eye shade once he knew Ronnie was going to sashay away.

MrsGryn   

Okay, I was ready for him to go by the end. I tried really hard to like him and there are elements to Vince that I still like but he seems like he would be really annoying to live with over the long haul.

Loved how in a confessional after his Vokai camp raid he was sporting a big old bleeding scrape on his leg. War wound!

Magpie   

Yeah, he turned out to be a disappointment, though it was fun when he fell on his ass in the mud.

I had to laugh at the notion of Vince "sneaking" into the other Tribe's camp. I mean, there are camera people and production tromping through camp at all hours of the day and night. Why would they be alerted by the presence of anyone? They would just do what they did which is pry open one eye and immediately go back to sleep when they saw it wasn't a Jaguar ( or whatever the have in Fiji).  Plus, he was there with a camera person the entire time. Did the camera person undergo Sandra's intensive training as well? That was a very easy task compared to beating Rob at making fire.

AVorlon   

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about production people being around, so an intruder would not alarm them at all.  I found it interesting that it was the girls alliance that voted him out, even though they seemed to think he was with them. It was a good move for them, since they flushed out the idol and kept Karishma as part of their alliance.    

uaintjak   

Karishma is barely part of their alliance. I think keeping her over Vince is going to bite them in the ass, unless she somehow sprays bone fragments in the other tribe's eyes during a challenge before getting lightheaded.