Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Survivor 38 - Episode 3 - RELEASE THE CHICKENS!

MrsGryn   

After 38 seasons, Survivor is like comfort food. The flavor is familiar, the order in which it happens is entirely predictable, and you are left feeling pretty satisfied overall, even though you have eaten the same meal hundreds of times in the past. Tonight’s episode is just that. It is meatloaf and mashed potatoes. In other news, I might just be hungry from fasting for Ash Wednesday.

When last we left Fiji, Keith was making me nuts by not choosing a direction in which to go. He’s still at it, but we don’t see him pick up the torch, just pivot directly to Edge of Extinction Island and the Boat of Doom pulling up to the front walk/sand spit. Reem Daly is pleased to see him, and openly laughs at him, along with every viewer watching the show, when Keith says he is ready for some sleep and food. Dude, if you wanted a nice bed and some pizza, you picked the wrong path. What is it about the words “Edge of Extinction” do you not understand? Reem was ready to bail, but now she has a chick to care for, so she knows she will be staying on Exiled Red Dead Redemption Island.

In the morning, they find some messages in bottles on the beach. It contains maps that lead to some steps and they climb, climb, climb to the mountaintop, where they find a bucket containing a handful of rice. The note on a sign reminds them that “This is the Edge of Extinction. You will have to work hard for everything. When fear or loneliness sets in you must find the resolve to overcome.” So they have to climb the steps every day for their little bit of rice. Reem proclaims loudly that it sucks. With her speech patterns and tics, she probably added a few “bros” and “dudes” that had to be edited out. I realize she is desperate to be the hip, cool mom but STOP TALKING LIKE A TEENAGER!

Reward challenge time! We are in the season of two challenges an episode, so the paint chip wheel is getting overtime pay. Probst is wearing a Valspar Plum Good shirt, for those keeping score at home. For this challenge, the tribes will race to assemble a wheelbarrow, which they will push through a series of obstacles, collecting sandbags along the way. They will then dump the sandbags in a trough, take the wheelbarrow back apart and use it to build a slingshot. The sandbags will then be aimed at four targets using the slingshot. First tribe to knock them down wins reward. Want to know what they are playing for? Of course you do! A choice between comfort in the form of pillows, blankets, hammock, or chickens, consisting of three hens and a rooster. Kama has two extra players so they sit out Ron and Aubry. Survivors ready? GO! Manu has David, Warthog, and Dadbod Rick on wheelbarrow duty, which they quickly finish. But of course Kama has Magic Joe and they end up finishing the sandbag portion of the challenge quickly. Manu then cannot lift the heavy wheelbarrow to dump the sandbags and has to fling the sandbags into the trough by hand. Good news, though. Kama’s slingshot crew is having issues building the slingshot and Manu sails right through it. Chris is already aiming sandbags at the targets while Kama is still struggling. Chris sails right through and wins reward, choosing the chickens. Jeff to Kama: Got nothing for you.

At some point during the challenge, Wendy hurt her ankle when the wheel fell on her ankle. Once the adrenaline left her body, she suddenly noticed the injury and it looks baaaaad. Swollen, bruised purple. It doesn’t appear to be broken since we don’t get to see Dr. Joe to remove her from the game, but there is a nicely wrapped brace and Ace bandage on it later. But let’s get back to the here and now. Wendy is not happy that the rest of her tribe wants to chow down on some rotisserie poultry later on. She tells us that she vowed if her tribe won chickens, she would release them all. Now, she is not a vegetarian or vegan. She just doesn’t want to eat THESE chickens. As she says, she signed up for Survivor but the chickens didn’t and I’m unclear if she understands they are, you know, chickens. I get the conundrum she finds herself in as I always say I have the soul of a vegetarian and the taste buds of a carnivore. But this is Survivor and Wendy is already on precarious ground, made even more unstable by the now bum ankle. She tries to enlist Dadbod Rick into her scheme of letting the chickens free (to what, be eaten by the snakes?) but while he promises not to rat her out, he is not on board with her plan..because he is not fucking stupid.

Over on Kama, Freckles is reasserting her determination that the returning players of Joe, Aubry, and their acolyte Aurora should go. Freckles, who knows there is an immunity idol out there but would rather wear a wool knit cap on a tropical island than go hunt for it, is awfully sure of herself. I look forward to her being blindsided at the first Tribal Council for Kama. Hilariously, she and Ron are talking about them without knowing that Joe is right there at the tide pools and can hear everything they are saying. AWKWARD! Freckles certainly has a point, because Aubry runs off into the jungle to search for the idol, and it pays off. She finds it and she cries and cries because she is so proud of herself. No, really, that’s what she says while weeping. But a nice little addition to Aubry finding the idol is that over on Manu, Lauren found theirs and that means both idols are in the hands of women this season. Probst better hire a new statistician because all that talk of percentages of women and idols is out of date.

Immunity challenge time! Probst is wearing a Valspar Fish Story shirt, for those keeping score at home. Kama has two extra people, so they sit out Julie and Freckles. Manu of course has a handicapped Wendy and she will obviously slow them down with her busted ankle, right? So the challenge is a smorgasbord of previously used elements. The Survivors will start by four tribe members pulling a dinghy containing the other three members. They will stop at a platform where, one at a time, the three boat riders will climb up, jump and grab a key before falling into the water. Once all three keys are retrieved, then the swimmers continue pulling the rowboats along until they reach another platform. They will have to climb up with their keys to unlock a box containing pieces of a ships wheel puzzle. First to finish and raise a flag wins. Survivors ready? GO!

The teams are pretty even in the water, and I am impressed by Wendy as a swimmer yet again. It has to be painful. Chris is the real hero pulling the boat along with Warthog, whom I do not like. He reminds me of Cappy from BB6 too much for comfort. Both tribes are working on the first part of the ships wheel and it seems the problem is that they are screwing everything on without figuring out the lengths first. So David, Kelley and Lauren are spending way too much time screwing and unscrewing the spokes, giving Kama time to smoke them and win immunity once again.

Post challenge time is spent entirely at Manu tribe and its dysfunction. The problem is that their flint is missing. Wendy is immediately suspect in the minds of Warthog, Lauren and Kelley, which turns out to be not wrong as Wendy’s logic is that if the flint is missing, a fire cannot be made and if a fire cannot be made then the chickens will not be killed. So Wendy has a broken ankle on one leg and is trying to shoot herself in the foot on the other. David and Dadbod Rick to go talk to her, but their concern is less for the flint and more about the tribal council vote. They want to target Kelley Wentworth once again. Wendy and her hidden flint is onboard with that. David LOVES having Wendy around as a smokescreen for him. No hiding behind big strong guys this season. Now he is hiding behind a chicken-loving Tourettes afflicted green haired gal. David goes to talk to Chris, the only guy on Manu who can shoot straight, about voting out Kelley. Chris is fine with that but he really wants to talk to Warthog. The smart, savvy David warns Chris outright that Warthog is in Kelley’s pocket and telling him would be a huge mistake. It is excellent advice that Christ completely ignores. The fewer people in a plot to oust a power in a tribe the better. There was no need to try and bring Warthog in, and telling him only put Chris in the hot seat. Warthog not only resembles Tony Vlachos and sounds like Tony Vlachos, he is just as trustworthy as Tony Vlachos. Warthog immediately goes to Kelley and they decide to target Chris by pulling Dadbod Rick in on it. My new favorite Survivor couple, David and Rick, discuss their options and David realizes that if Chris goes home, no one will know that he has been the one targeting Kelley.

Tribal Council time. Probst is wearing a Valspar Exotic Sea shirt, for those keeping score at home. Jeff asks Rick to evaluate the tribe and he comes up with LOSERS! Does anything more need to be said? Well, yes, because there are chickens to discuss. Wendy claims she just wanted to step aside if they killed and ate a chicken, but Warthog just cannot let go of the fact that Wendy will eat chicken at home but not ones she has seen living and clucking all around her. Again, I totally get her sentiment here. David says the vote tonight is about getting rid of the biggest social threat and I’m not sure why David is advocating voting for himself or his partner Dadbod Rick. David is so good at delivering information at Tribal Council that is a misdirection to the real reason he is voting someone out. It’s impressive. Chris winds up the discussion by pointing out that watching Survivor at home, you cannot feel or really understand that everyone playing the game are real people having real conversations with each other and creating real relationships. I mean, he does know the people on TV are real and don’t actually live inside the big box in the living room, right?

And with that, it’s time to tally the votes.

Wentworth. Chris. Kelly. Chris. Chris. Chris. That’s enough to vote out the one really physically fit guy on the Manu tribe. This team really doesn’t want to win a challenge ever again.

Chris pauses at the Edge of Extinction sign, stares at it in silence, then says, “Screw those guys, I’m getting back in the boat” as he grabs the torch and heads off to find the transport to Loser Island.

Luckily for the rapidly depleting Manu, next week it’s Drop! Your! Buffs! time.

AVorlon   

Nice job, MrsG. I kept waiting for someone to lop off the head of a chicken, just to see Wendy freak out.  Alas, no chickens were harmed in the filming of this episode. 

Jade   

100% what MrsGryn says about the chickens. If I had to kill a chicken with other options available in the real world, I'd go vegetarian (or more specifically lacto-ovo). But, playing the game of Survivor, I'd kill that chicken personally without giving it a second thought. I really hope that Wendy has to suffer some sort of repercussions for her actions before the new tribes are picked.

tlh9   

Thank you for another awesome recap!  I missed parts of the episode for working on my final presentations for this term, but didn't have to worry because I knew I could catch anything I missed here.

And same here with the chickens!  Although I don't know if I could personally kill one, even on Survivor -- but I certainly wouldn't stop the others from doing so, and sure as hell wouldn't be letting them go, talk about signing your Survivor Death Warrant!

My Grandpa killed a chicken every Saturday evening, and Grandma would pluck it and otherwise prepare it for Sunday dinner, every week!  I can't imagine.  Chicken on a styrofoam tray with shrink wrap is so much better.  Or better yet off the rotisserie from Costco!

AVorlon   

I'm pretty sure I could kill a chicken, but then I would need your grandma to figure out how to prepare it.  Maybe Wendy doesn't want to know how the sausage gets made, but it's  not her place to make unilateral decisions that effect everyone else.   

tlh9   

You're very welcome, MrsGryn!

And

14 hours ago, AVorlon said:

it's not her place to make unilateral decisions that effect everyone else.   

this totally!!!  I mean, just wow... to think you can do something like that, at all, let alone if you want to stay in the game.

And 

14 hours ago, AVorlon said:

but then I would need your grandma to figure out how to prepare it.  

hahaha!  Me too.  What regular person knows how to do that anymore?

Just my opinion, but I think Wendy is channeling Sandra Diaz.  She's looking for attention, good or bad.  That way, even if she loses, she gets the villain edit and will be invited back.  

Then again, I could be full of shit, Mercury is retrograde, and that messes with my brain.