rappy

HT Rules and Tips for Recapping

rappy   

Recapping the Big Brother live feeds is a frustrating and sometimes difficult job, but one that becomes easier the more you do it. Sort of like feeding yourself, at least until you're about 85. However, we'd like to share a few tips and rules that will make your life as a recapper more satisfying, and our jobs as moderators less frustrating. (Most of these are optional, but the ones marked "RULES" are not!)

RULES:

1. Make sure you have some actual recap in the recaps.

Now, some of us have been known to go on wild tangents in our recaps. That's fine, in fact it is de rigueur when the hamsters are sleeping. Just make sure that at some point every post in the recapping thread tells us something about what's happening on the live feeds. Posts that are merely questions, comments, etc. without any recap in them need to go in another, more appropriate thread.

2. Recaps should be more than one or two sentences, unless there is REALLY nothing going on.

Posting a series of two-sentence recaps within a minute of each other is not really what we want to see. If there is enough happening that you can post several times within a short time span, please put it all in one post.

3. Don't go crazy with the nicknames.

Nicknames for the hamsters can be funny and most of us like them. However, if you're going to use nicknames, make sure it's a name that is well known or so obvious that readers of your recap know exactly who you are talking about. If you are introducing a new nickname, make a first reference to the person's real name in each post, then you can stick with it. If no one else picks up on it, drop it.

4. Please do not post over and over that the feeds are "still at fire" or "still at fish" or "nothing is happening yet."

Your fellow HTers who do not have the feeds will be constantly refreshing the recap thread looking for new posts that are actual recaps, and it's annoying to get excited that the feeds might be back ... only to have those hopes heartlessly dashed.

SO, please limit the "still at FOTH/fish/fire/godwhenwillthefeedsstart?" posts to one every 15 minutes. Check the time on the last post - if it is within the last 15 minutes, you do not need to post the same information.

Violators will be mocked unmercifully. Or, they'll have their posts deleted without warning, and Fisty will put his finger on the banning button.

TIPS:

1. Try to be funny.

The hamsters are going to suck. You know it, we know it. Everyone but Cowboy (BB5) knows it. Feel free to spice things up with a bit of humor.

2. Try to get some clue as to what is going on before posting.

While sometimes it is simply impossible to figure out who is talking, or what the hell they are saying, "someone is talking about something" doesn't really do a whole lot of good. And Hamster Time is all about doing good.

3. Post your recaps early and often, and try to include the time.

Ten minutes can be an eternity during the live feeds. If you post your recaps every 15 or 20 minutes, they will be out of synch with most other recaps. If you know you are the only person recapping, you can hold on to your posts a bit longer. Aim for recap posts that cover approximately 5-10 minutes of Hamster Time, shorter if there's a lot going on. If you think your recaps are too long, they are. Most of us have very short attention spans, and we get confused if we have to read a whole lot of words all at once.

Also, it is helpful for timeline purposes if you remember to start your posts with the time in the house, e.g. 10:50 a.m. HT. HT = Hamster Time = Pacific Time (since the house is in that alternate reality known as "California"). You're not going to be mocked if you don't include the time, but it's a good habit to get into.

4. Don't censor your recaps.

It is vital to recap all the stupid things the hamsters say, especially if what they say might be considered offensive. It is important that we know the true idiocy of these people. Plus, we find offensive stuff funny. Foul language is not a requirement, but we always like to learn a clever new use for words, so try and impress us.

5. When in doubt, wish physical harm on the hamsters.

People seem to like that.

6. If that doesn't work, praise your moderators.

We're cheap and easy!

7. RECAP, RECAP, RECAP.

All the time. Get addicted. Ignore your job, your friends, and your family. They don't love you like we do, anyway. It is your civic duty to spend all of your time here, watching and reading about these freaks we call the Big Brother houseguests.

8. If you have any tips of your own, share them with us in this thread.

Previous tips are available on the old board. Feel free to add any that seem particularly helpful into a new post here, as well as to add new tips.

Happy recapping!

uaintjak   

Not a tip for recappers, but for those who read the recaps...

If anything strikes you as particularly funny, you know, like you read it and snorted Pepsi out of your nose, then make sure you thank the recapper (include the quote that caused you to caffinate your nasal passages too).

I know when I was recapping, I would always get inspired by reading messages from people who liked my recaps.

buffyvol   

And try to quit smoking/Meth/lose weight when BB is on. Crabby/jonesing/hungry recappers win Internet Posting Awards.

BB7 Camera Reloader is awesome. Used it last year after a recapper recommended it, and it's a much better experience. I don't want to anger the Fisty by linking, so just Google it and check out the site; hell, it's only five bucks.

Is anyone allowed to recap? We're going to be getting the live feed when the show starts and I'd love to try it, but I don't want to step on any toes or invade any prearranged cliques, or something like that. How does it work if someone new wants to try recapping?

Thanks!

Magpie   

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to recap the live feeds, Twylah Skye. I just started recapping last season, and the way I did it was to read recaps posted by others to get a feel for how it flows, then I just started posting. You'll want to be sure and review the first post in this thread, which gives some great guidelines on how to recap.

If you want to see some recaps from last season, you can go up to the boxes at the top of the page and click on "Archived Recaps". Have fun!

EnricoIV   

I know that recapper's opinions will come through in their posts, but can they be asked to cut down on the personal commenting? It's only 2½ pages long, and I could barely get through those, I was so frustrated with the sniping comments and supportive comments about hamsters the poster did or didn't like. Seems like that ought to be taken to the general comments section, and kept (as well as can be) out of the Live Feeds.

Am I off base?

One more thing ... probably pressing my luck ... as a former editor, editor comments are usually bracketed "[ ]" so they can be distinguished from the actual content. It'd sure be nice if recappers could be encouraged to put their personal comments in brackets so we can tell what actually happened from what they wished, or what they thought about what happened.

jasper   

I know that recapper's opinions will come through in their posts, but can they be asked to cut down on the personal commenting? It's only 2½ pages long, and I could barely get through those, I was so frustrated with the sniping comments and supportive comments about hamsters the poster did or didn't like. Seems like that ought to be taken to the general comments section, and kept (as well as can be) out of the Live Feeds.

Am I off base?

One more thing ... probably pressing my luck ... as a former editor, editor comments are usually bracketed "[ ]" so they can be distinguished from the actual content. It'd sure be nice if recappers could be encouraged to put their personal comments in brackets so we can tell what actually happened from what they wished, or what they thought about what happened.

I can certainly try to bracket my personal comments, but let me just say that at 3 am EST after a few glasses of wine, it is really hard to keep my snarkiness to myself and to try to remember to put it in brackets. It just seems to have a way of seeping into my recaps. I feel your pain though, sorry in advance for all of the personal hate you're going to hear from me this season about the hammies. As I sit here now and type this promise of an attempt to keep it at a minimum, I know it will be hard, and I'm not known for my will power... especially with Alison in the house!! oops, sorry, was that a personal comment??

MrsGryn   

Hi, EnricoIV! Welcome to Hamstertime.

You raise good points, however we're not a "by the book" recapping site. We like the snipe and support, as long as there is actual recap information contained in the post, and to require posters to bracket their editorial comments would really interrupt the flow of the conversational nature of Hamster Time recappage. I know there are other sites out there that disallow editorializing in their posts where you might be more comfortable.

However, we hope you stick around here and get into the rhythm of HT. We're a lot of fun.

Tsylyst   

If anyone has other suggestions, questions or comments, please take a spin around the Getting Around HT and FAQ threads to make sure your topic hasn't already been answered, then head over to the Suggestions and Comments thread. This thread is for Tips for Recapping only.

Edited because Gryn said it better. And by better, I mean nicer.

Edited again because I don't know the names of my fellow mods. Because I'm a dumbnut tonight.

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to recap the live feeds, Twylah Skye. I just started recapping last season, and the way I did it was to read recaps posted by others to get a feel for how it flows, then I just started posting. You'll want to be sure and review the first post in this thread, which gives some great guidelines on how to recap.

If you want to see some recaps from last season, you can go up to the boxes at the top of the page and click on "Archived Recaps". Have fun!

And considering you just started recapping last season, I would have to say you and Beez are my favorites, you both had me giggling like a mental patient last season (Yaps Clue had to be the best yet!)! Seems like you two just say whats on your mind (as well as brillantly encapsulating the sheer stupidity of some HGs)...and I think thats what makes a great recapper. Act like your watching the show and let those comments fly!

Edited by FAAmecanic

Magpie   

Thanks for the kind words (recappers love praise)! When I'm recapping, I think I turn into one of those old Muppet dudes in the balcony...y'all know who I mean. Just let that hate roll out of you in waves!!

uaintjak   

I know what you mean. It's like...suddenly I turn into a vengeful foul-mouthed ball of contempt. Usually I'm just a vengeful foul-mouthed trapezoid of contempt.