Sign in to follow this  
gforce

Keith Sowell - Manu - Made Extinct Week 2

gforce   

KeithSowell.jpg

Photo courtesy CBS.COM

Hometown: Fayetteville, North Carolina
Current residence: Durham, North Carolina

Hobbies: Writing and performing my poetry, tennis, playing video/board games, and going to the movies.  

Pet peeves: When self-absorbed people talk about all the money they have and things they've done, and only actively engage in conversations when the topic is about them or their "equals."

Three words to describe you: Religious, competitive, and creative.

What is your personal claim to fame?  
Getting the Jackie Robinson scholarship because I had never before achieved something on a national level. It still amazes me! They had over 3,500 applicants, gave interviews to 140 and awarded only 63. To be a part of that 63 still leaves me in awe and I know it's only by God's grace. 

Who or what is your inspiration in life? 
My inspirations are definitely my mom and grandma! Without them there's no way I would be the type of person I am today. They taught me morals, values, and how to always have a loving and caring personality. They've seen me at my lowest times and have never withheld their love for me. We never had much but my mom always made ends meet for me. My grandma was the one who first started me on my walk in faith, which is my biggest rock in life. They are my heroes!

If you could have three things on the island, what would they be and why? 
My Bible because it would be a constant reminder for me that God is always watching over me! 
My poetry book because my poetry gives me life! 
My Black Panther jacket because I'm a Marvel fanatic and it can always bring a smile to my face. 

Which Survivor contestant are you the most like?  
I relate to Jeremy Collins because that was a family man. He put his family above all else and played solely for them. My family is the only tangible thing I've always had since day one! They're my reason for everything. I also think I'd love to rely more on social gameplay as he did and connect with people for longevity.

What's your reason for being on Survivor
No doubt my primary motivation for being on the show is my family. Since I was born, we've lived in the same trailer without much change. Ever since I was doing well in school, I feel like eyes have been on me to help us out of stagnation. If I can make some things happen to help us go above and beyond, then you can best believe I'm going to be that breakthrough. Survivor may just be that start for me. Secondly, I'm motivated to learn more about myself. I've never had to find my food or stay outside, so I'm ready to see what I can do when tested. And of course, I'm a superfan and this has been a dream of mine! I'm already the youngest black castaway to date.  How cool would it be to add being the youngest Sole Survivor onto that?

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?   
I know I can be the Sole Survivor because I've already been living against the odds. Me being a lower-class black man, I wasn't nurtured to be the salutatorian of his class that would be able to afford Duke University of all places. I didn't have the bloodline of doctors to show me how to succeed or the finances to take prep classes for educational opportunities. I didn't even know what class rank or GPA meant until junior year. When I took the Pre-SAT, I asked "What class is this for?" I was set at a disadvantage, yet I made things happen. I went against the grain, and did what I needed to do to put myself on a pre-med track. I'm driven, focused, and possess the willpower to make mountains move. Nothing has stopped me thus far, so no 17 or 19, or however many castaways are going to stop me now!

tlh9   

Think I'm with g on this one.

I like that his Mom & Grandma are his heroes.... but don't we seem to have a lot of Jesus fans this season?

MrsGryn   

I love a good up-from-bootstraps story and this guy has it. I agree with G-force, read that poetry! 

As far as the religious stuff, I don't mind anyone who professes pride in their faith as long as they aren't dicks about it to others who believe differently. 

tlh9   

I didn't comment because I mind them, either -- generally I don't, unless yeah, they cross that dick line.  Or are super-annoying with constantly talking about and expecting everything to be solved with prayer, or to go their way because of prayer (what about the others praying for it to go their way, which in a competition, would be in direct opposition?) or never being able to talk about a different subject -- or turning every subject to faith.

I grew up with people of faith, most of my family still is, and I was at one time, and still kinda-sorta am (but you'd probably never guess if you knew me, ha!)

It just seemed like the cast was particularly loaded with them, this season.

And I *so* hope he reads some of his poetry.  And I *so* hope it's (a) funny (b) stupid (c) lame or (d) embarrassing somehow.

He does seem like a generally decent kid though.

gforce   

Well, he did seem to be aware enough to see where the whole Reem/Wendy thing was going and kind of ratted them out to the others, so he may be able to stay in this for a while with his “just don’t get voted out” strategy.

gforce   

Well, I guess I take that back.  He was pretty useless this episode, but his ridiculous indecision at the Extinction Island sign was ridiculous.  SO disappointed that he was kicked out and then immediately given a chance to get back into the game and was all, “Oh, what to do??”

I forgot how young he was until he acted all pissed that he got the boot and then stood there crying for Jesus to give him a sign if he should stay or not. I"m an atheist, but I'm pretty sure that's not how Jesus works and I would hope Jesus would have better things to focus on if Jesus existed. You either want to keep playing or you don't, you've been there for like 4 days. Yes or no. 

chrysana   
8 hours ago, Jade said:

As usual, so much better than the actual show! But, Keith annoys me. Where does Survivor keep finding all of these people who don't know how to swim? Swimming is not even a remotely challenging skill to pick up... at all. If you spend over 5 minutes in the water, magic happens. You can swim. He's been stranded on a beach for days... the perfect place to practice.

I'm starting to think they deliberately stunt cast one wacky "non-swimmer" character who refuses to even try to learn to swim at least once every other season.

1 hour ago, gforce said:

I have to disagree that swimmin is not a challenging skill to pick up.  I tried for years to learn to swim better - taking lessons and practicing for many hours.  I’m still only at the level where I can save myself in the water, but I would not consider myself a strong swimmer at all.  That said, I know that I would never apply to Survivor because of that.

I think that for many, swimming challenging.  Pool swimming can be hard enough - open water adds another dimension.  I do wonder why Keith applied.  I get wanting to challenge yourself and live out your dream; but, if you've watched the show, you know you're getting in the water. 

Keith's comment, " y’all think you are still going to win challenges" was laughable after his latest performance.  I don't know that the tribe had many options.  He was going to be a liablity every challenge that included water.  Here's hoping he doesn't go to exile...as that would preven Reem from having an "exile buddy".

AVorlon   

If Jesus tells him to get back in the game, maybe that knocks Reem out for good. However it turns out,  I want them both gone.  

tlh9   

I'm interested in how this "Extinction Island" thing will go, with a 2nd person there.  But was like, "What the crap??" with Keith's reaction.  I mean, what... is he really considering *not* going for it?  And if so, why would he do that?  I wonder if the production staff ever thought *that* would happen.

MrsGryn   

This guy can raise the white flag of surrender any time now. His one interesting thing is that he couldn't swim very well. And since Osten's near drowning years ago, that storyline is played out.