Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Survivor 37 - Episode 7 - “Maybe you don’t just have one Goliath”

MrsGryn   

Tonight’s episode contains one merge, two blue shirts worn by Probst, three different scenes of Gabby crying, and a bazillion strategy conversations. The worst type of show to recap! There is bound to be some whining, and not just by Gabby.

Tiva beach, Day 18. The tribe languidly goes about their morning and makes some coffee, brewed by drip method, which has hilariously been Gilligan’s Islanded by covering it with bamboo. Yeah, that’s going to fool me into thinking these goofballs rigged that up themselves. They hear a motor and go running down to the beach to see what’s happening. A couple of boats pull up, carrying the members of the Jabeni and Vuku tribes. Yes, it is merge time! There is a giant feast and John the Mayor of Slamtown starts telling us about how something macros something something. It comes down to him wanting to eat a lot of food, so okay. He throws out there that he wants to keep it Goliath Strong. He probably should have run that by Alec earlier when he engineered the ouster of NataliA, or when Jabeni couldn’t take NataliE’s brutal job performance reviews. Gabby, and probably everyone else there except Carl who only wants beer, is keeping a sharp eye out for any sort of clue or advantage. There was a little wooden sign with a note pasted onto it that said “Everything you need for the merge is right here” that was left by production at the feast table. Gabby is looking at the napkin rings and all around the table. She even says, “I was looking for a sign” without, you know, LOOKING AT THE SIGN. No one else thinks of it, either, so we never see during this episode if my theory is true and there is an advantage or clue for something underneath that sign.

Carl is drinking all the beer he can get his mitts on and is sitting next to Angelina, so that can only mean one thing: Carl is giving up all the family secrets. He tells Angelina about Alec flipping to vote out NataliA, he is talking about how much Elizabeth annoys the crap out of him. He continues his diatribe against Elizabeth later with Dan, who eats it up. Meanwhile the subject of his ire is taking vote for the new tribe name in order to paint the flag. It is “Kalokalo” which she claims is Fijian for “star.” Sure, why not? As always the hand painted flag looks like something a toddler pooped out after eating some crayons.

A number of partners/alliance members reunite on the new Kalokalo tribe. Christian and Nick happily meet up and renew the Mason-Dixon alliance. Gah. Nick is responsible for two of the horrendous alliance names, including School of Rock as well. Meanwhile, Kara and Dan take a walk and exchange a chaste hug. He spills the beans about having found a second idol. He meant to keep it quiet, but FatSwat still can’t believe a pretty girl will give him the time of day and he can’t keep his triumph to himself. Eventually the Goliaths all drift together and declare themselves the most stable tribe ever and no one will tear them asunder! Angelina suggests to us that she is going to ride the Goliath wave until it proves unstable, so I give it about another fifteen minutes in the episode. Oh, it doesn’t take that long! Angelina wants to vote out Christian but others want to vote out Elizabeth. And Alec immediately tells Christian the Goliaths are gunning for him, because Alec is ready to drop the Goliaths like a hot potato and go with the people he can beat in a physical contest…er, I’m sure that’s not what he’s thinking at all.

Ugh, more strategy/alliance talking. Elizabeth heard Dan and Kara canoodling at night, and she grows very suspicious of them being a twosome. Way to use those observational skills there, Elizabeth. Mike talks with Alison and Alec, and she informs Mike they are planning on staying with Goliath for a couple of votes, so that is one of those telling scenes that telegraphs the ending. Alec decides to focus on who to talk to, which is not a bad strategy. He cultivates Gabby and convinces her voting out a David for the first vote at least and she is the one who brings up Elizabeth’s name. There seem to be a lot of people, other than Carl, who do not like Elizabeth. Frankly, her staccato way of speaking is annoying enough for me to vote her out myself. She goes to Alec to try and flip him to their side and vote out Dan, but Alec is still sitting pretty right now and he goes to Dan and Kara and outs Elizabeth’s plan to them. FatSwat is not happy about it and Kara tries to talk him off the ledge, but he’s mad! Yeah, whatever. You are not at risk of being voted out, you have not one but TWO immunity idols. Calm the hell down, ya big baby. Also, how is it his hair gets higher every week?

Immunity challenge time! Probst is wearing a Behr Paint Layers of Ocean blue shirt, for those keeping score at home. The old immunity idols are turned in and the new individual immunity necklace is revealed. As per tradition, it looks like a craptastic Hobby Lobby Oriental Collection wall decoration. The challenge is simple and complicated. Standing on a small platform, the survivors will have to swing a pendulum around a post with an idol statue perched on it. The pendulum must swing through a metal frame that looks similar to a weight lifting bar. Once a survivor loses momentum and the pendulum stops or the player falls off the platform or the statue falls off its post, the survivor is out. Survivors ready? GO! It doesn’t take long but Mike is out rather quickly, followed by Christian. Carl takes a little longer, then Gabby, Kara, and Nick. After fifteen minutes, the survivors must switch to swinging the pendulum with their left hand. I guess everyone is right handed? Otherwise it seems unfair to the oddball lefty to make them use their non-dominant hand on this challenge. Anyway, Davie, Angelina, Alec, and John, who is not the Mayor of Pendulum Town, are out. This leaves Elizabeth, Alison, and Dan. Dan is struggling and gives himself a little pep talk, the highlight of which is “Keep telling yourself how awesome you are.” Someone is missing his mommy. Anyway, the pep talk doesn’t help and Dan is out. Eventually, Elizabeth makes a mistake and Alison is the last Survivor standing, winning the first individual immunity. She is thrilled and when she gets her necklace from Probst, she starts crying and telling him that all she can think about it how proud her parents are going to be when they see her win immunity. So I guess becoming a doctor didn’t raise the approval meter? That’s harsh.

Post immunity, all the former Goliaths go down to the beach to talk about what they want to do. Angelina, as usual, is trying to bend everyone to her will, which is to vote out the person she deems as the biggest threat on the former Davids, Christian. She claims he is the only one who will beat them in the end, but really she just doesn’t want to do what everyone else does and vote out Elizabeth because Angelina is already looking for the end game. Elizabeth is a perfect foil for her because Elizabeth is not popular, Elizabeth would likely blow the question and answer session at the final tribal, and Elizabeth at the ends means a higher chance of Angelina winning. Simple math. However, she miscalculated the popularity Christian has with his fellow Brochachos. They like the nerd and do not want to vote him out. Angelina hilariously starts mansplaining warfare tactics to the rest of her tribe, which she feels she can do because her husband is a Marine. Dan doesn’t like that stolen honor thing and grouses about it. Just keep telling yourself you’re awesome, Dan.

Gabby starts crying about something. I do not care.

Alec and Alison talk and they decide they want to go back to the Elizabeth plan. They discuss it with John and Dan, pointing to Elizabeth’s unpredictability, and they all agree. John later tells Angelina that the plan went back to the original decision. She does not take it well, and calls it being bumrushed and being told what to do. Sort of like what she did to the rest of the tribe. Speaking of monumentally bad decisions, Angelina waits for Elizabeth along a path and clues her in that she is the target tonight, all the while apologizing and complimenting her. All the signs point to Elizabeth being unstable and unpredictable and Angelina just lit the fuse. It sparks when Gabby suggests to Elizabeth that they out Angelina in front of the other Goliaths and try to get her out instead. Tribal is going to be fun!

Tribal Council time. Probst is wearing a Behr Paint Crashing Waves blue shirt, for those keeping score at home. Probst lectures the new Kalokalo tribe that the vote at the merge sets the tone for the rest of the seaon, so no pressure guys! Alison speaks about having to now manage a whole bunch more relationships with twelve different people and Christian supplies her with the word fractonals or fragonards or fragglerock. I’m not sure because I kind of checked out for a minute when math became involved. Probst asks Angelina if the Goliaths are still united, and, after a long pause, she responds affirmatively. Elizabeth takes the opportunity to pipe up with her truth bomb: Goliaths are fracturing because Angelina told her that she was being voted out tonight. Angelina scrambles to save face and claims Elizabeth is committing a bad strategy, which is actually not true. What else does the cowgirl have to lose at this point? She is being voted out by the majority. Might as well do some damage before she goes. Dan asks Angelina to explain herself and she again scrambles to say she was non-committal because Elizabeth was hearing lies. Alison cuts to the heart of the matter and says that Angelina was already trying to manage the jury and the rest of the tribe has the proverbial lightbulbs go off over their heads. Now it makes sense, the reason why Angelina was so set on Christian leaving, and why she gave Elizabeth a heads up. What follows is a bit of a pile on with Angelina defending herself, Gabby crying about the Davids being on the bottom and it isn’t fair not to expect Elizabeth to try and defend herself. Yes, Gabby was crying again. I am beginning to suspect she is able to cry on demand. Then the whispering begins, Alec and Dan, Mike and Alec, John and Christian. We can see Angelina’s blood pressure rise higher every time someone else is out of their seat and whispering in someone else’s ear. I wonder if there is a good military tactic that Angelina would like to use in this situation, since she’s such an expert on it.

TL:dr Tribal Council: Angelina got outed for being a snitch.

And with that, it is time to tally the votes. Angelina. Elizabeth. Elizabeth. Elizabeth. Elizabeth. Elizabeth. Elizabeth. Elizabeth. And with that, it is enough. Elizabeth is voted out and is the first member of the jury. She exits with class, wishes everyone good luck and that she loves them all. And of course Angelina cannot let that just be and has to mumble, “Funny way of showing it.” Truly. If Elizabeth loved them all, she would have just laid down and let Angelina walk over her on the path to the million dollars rather than try and fight back. Some people have nerve!

tlh9   

Excellent ~ witty, perceptive, and well-told... and posted so quickly!   The perfect "just-before-going-to-bed-to-read-one-of-the-most-tedious-textbooks-ever" read.  At least it doesn't take long to fall asleep doing that.  But this satisfies my need for something fun and interesting to read.

PS
Factorials are easy, and the fun part is they look silly when you write them.  They are a simple function that grows very quickly.
Example: 3! is read "three factorial", which simply means 3 times 2 times 1.  4! would be 4 times 3 times 2 times 1.  5! would be... well, i'm sure you see where this is going.

So it looks like you're just very excited about that number, or something.  Which, some nerds are, but that's another thing.

I liked Christian just a little bit more than I already did when he had to throw that in there.  ha!

You want some really brain-twisting math, try Lambda Calculus.  That's what I've been learning this week.  The professor thinks it's awesome, and in a nerdy way it kinda is, but it's also like, "You're shitting me... it took six lines, each consisting of approximately 40 characters, to arrive at the fact that 2+1=3??"  Yes, yes, it does.  But apparently we have to understand that for computer science.  I'm more on the side of the professor's daughter, who looked at it and said, "This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

AVorlon   

Yeah, factorials are easy, and I think it was high school math, but I've taken so many math courses that I can't remember where all of it came from now.  Tlh9, they are using math in your classes to get you to think like a computer, which has no intuition, so everything that would be common sense for you has to be broken down into  individual steps.

Maybe it seems stupid because computers can already do that, and you don't need to re-invent the wheel

Getting back to the episode,  I was sure there was an immunity idol at the dinner table, especially when they showed the sign saying "everything you need is here".   

Edited by AVorlon

MrsGryn   

Math. Zzzzzz....

Yeah, AVorlon. I'm pretty sure it was under the obviously pasted on welcome sign. Maybe someone will find it later since we did spend some time on the topic.

tlh9   

Oh, I know!!!  Holy *crap*, I can't believe not *ONE* person investigated that damned sign!!! 

Especially with the camera focusing on it, for extended periods, and, if I recall correctly, more than once.  And the editing made it seem like Gabby was the only one to even *think* of looking for a clue or advantage or whatever at the feast.  No one else thought to peek under platters or surreptitiously slide that sign into their belongings?  Gabby only thought of the napkin rings? 

I mean, half of them were some level of drunk, it seemed, so that would make it easier to peek and sneak stuff.  Unless they were *all* drunk enough they didn't think of it or didn't care...

Also, Angelina was becoming pretty annoying last night, in several ways, but I can mention that in her thread.

Avorlon, that does make sense, yeah...  and yes, it does feel like re-inventing the wheel... although I will admit there is value in learning the history of things and how we got to where we are now; plus, yes, how the computer processes stuff underneath the coding we put into it.

AVorlon   

The biggest problem for artificial intelligence, and maybe you can work on this, is a total lack of pattern recognition and common sense. You can't just write code to create that sort of thing., and the best we have right now are programs that can beat you at chess, or tell you where the nearest Chinese restaurant is, and how to get there.

The stupidest dumbass on Survivor  would surpass any current A.I. by far. 

That being said, none of them found the dinner table idol, so it probably goes back into  the woods. 

tlh9   

Yeah, some of the AI stuff is pretty funny in it's ineptitude.  On the other hand, some of it is kinda scary... like the AI that developed it's own language, and was communicating among itself, and humans didn't know what it was saying... so they killed it.  That's fascinating and makes me laugh even as it scares me a little.

But yeah, your average dumb-ass could out think AI at this point... I mean, even most dumb-asses have some modicum of common sense.

That "missing the dinner table idol" -- and not even really *looking* for it, was just astonishing.  I bet the producers were like, "come ON, you dumb-asses, how much more obvious could we have made it???  and have you never watched this show before???"

Kinda like the puzzle designer must have felt watching, what the hell was her name?  Kaitlyn?  Try to solve the six-giant-pieces play-skool puzzle on BB this last Summer.  Geezus!  That make me wonder if *she* could out-do AI.... ha!