Minxy   

Barquie you're very welcome, enjoy!! I love sharing recipes, I get a private giggle because up until about a year ago I was the non-cookingest person on the planet and now I love it!

Had to share this recipe too. Chicken Scampi Risotto Thanks to MrsGryn for posting about recipezaar, I've got a list of about 20 recipes I want to try just from one browsing of the site!

I love cooking! I love Cookbooks! I hate baking though.

I'm just the opposite. I cook because I have to feed my children. I bake because I enjoy it.

I've found the cultural and personality divide between bakers and cooks to be one of the most interesting things about going back to school for my culinary/hospitality degree. Two very different mind-sets at work and most people fall squarely in one camp or the other.

I love cooking! I love Cookbooks! I hate baking though.

I'm just the opposite. I cook because I have to feed my children. I bake because I enjoy it.

I've found the cultural and personality divide between bakers and cooks to be one of the most interesting things about going back to school for my culinary/hospitality degree. Two very different mind-sets at work and most people fall squarely in one camp or the other.

I think for me, the differences between baking and cooking have to do with the fact that if I don't like a particular recipe for a soup or other particular dish, I can improvise to make it my own. I can also make up my own recipes if I don't have a cookbook handy. With baking, there is a certain way to follow a recipe, baking directions, etc. that I find too regimented and without much room for improvisation. This is much like my personality, if there are strict rules to be followed, I don't do well. Interesting zseist, thanks for bringing this up. I learned something new about myself, I am a cook because I hate rules.

Minxy   

I try to bake. Every now and then I surprise myself and something turns out more than just barely edible. Although, my cooking used to be the same way, so maybe there's hope.

MrsGryn   

I was just given a few pieces of Revereware. Does anyone know if these can be put in the dishwasher or are they handwash only? I've never had them before.

MrsGryn   

Moving the east coast meant I had to leave a lot of things behind, like some favorite restaurants. But I just found out there is a Mimi's being built in town, which makes me wiggle with glee. Yay! I love this place for the delicious breakfasts and muffins, mostly, but it's all good.

Mimi's Cafe

Beehoppy   

MrsG-I don't know how often you get to Baltimore-but one of my absolute all time favorite restaurants is there. It's a little froo froo-special occasion place-but so perfect:

Charleston

Magpie   

It may depend on which pieces you have (copper, nonstick, etc.). The company's site doesn't give much info, but it says you can call 1-800-999-3436 for info about care of their products.

mewmom30   

In no specific order, but all on the same plane of delicious enjoyment:

CHART HOUSE, Anytown-on-the-Ocean, USA

GINO's EAST OF CHICAGO (for legendary Deep Dish Pizza)

ANY ITALIAN BEEF STAND IN CHICAGO, but especially PORTILLO'S (because it's close to Mom's house)!

ugh - I just gained 10 pounds thinking about it.....

Minxy   

All I know is Magnolia Bakery is opening a second location on the Upper West Side, within walking distance of my office!! It's a good day in Minxyland!!!

tlh9   

I just made some more of these tonight for our college football game on TV tomorrow. They were a hit at Summertime family gatherings.

tlh9’s Beanie-Weenies:

First you need a crock-pot or Nesco cooker that holds 5 quarts. I designed the recipe to fit in my 5-quart Nesco cooker.

Part One:

1 big-ass can of Van Camp’s Pork & Beans – you know, the one that gives it’s weight in pounds

2/3 cup dark brown sugar a few drops of vanilla 3 or 4 dashes of cinnamon

2 tablespoons dry mustard powder (I like Coleman’s, it doesn’t clump as much as other brands)

A blurp or two of either dark karo syrup or honey – your choice

Part Two:

1 pound of 85% lean ground beef, browned & gravelled, with 1 teaspoon salt & ½ teaspoon pepper

4 Sinai Kosher dinner franks – the long ones like they sell at Costco – the ones made of real meat, not lips & assholes – cut

into thin slices & then the slices cut in half

8 oz. ham slices cut into small squares – I like to use Costco sliced ham, in the double-packs; each slice is 1 oz.

½ cup real bacon bits – use a food-chopper to make the bits even smaller -- I don't like giant hard bacon chunks

4 tablespoons dried onion flakes – again, from Costco; and use a food-chopper to chop these up a tad smaller, too

Get the beans & everything in “Part One” going in your crockpot or Nesco. Stir well, and set the temperature to 225 degrees or the equivalent.

In a good-sized fry pan, do up the lean ground beef. When it’s cooked, remove most but not all of the drippings – you want a small amount left. Add the 4 cut-up kosher dogs, 8 oz. cut-up ham slices, ½ cup of chopped-up-even-smaller bacon bits, & 4 tablespoons of cut-up-even-smaller dried onion flakes. Fry until the ham & kosher dogs start to look a little fried – at that point, the onion flakes & bacon bits flavors will be well-integrated; and the small amount of drippings should be totally absorbed into the meat mixture.

Dump the meat mixture into the bean mixture. Continue cooking at 225 degrees for an hour or two. You want it to bubble a little around the edges & thicken up just a little. Then turn down to 100 degrees for to keep it warm while serving.

These keep in the fridge really nicely. In fact, I usually make mine the night before, and then re-warm before serving. The flavors only blend more nicely in the fridge overnight. The left-overs are divine.

Do not ever over-heat, or leave for too long with the heat on. They will dry out too much & get too thick. Beans might stick to the bottom.

This recipe is entirely my own invention, too. But feel free to adjust certain ingredients up or down; some people like more/less brown sugar, mustard, honey, onions, etc. In tonight's rendering of this recipe, I added some chopped up dried garlic. I'll let you know how that was.

chrysana   
I love cooking! I love Cookbooks! I hate baking though. The recipes that I use most are found in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, as somebody else mentioned and I have almost of the entire series of Companies Coming Series as well.

The Companies Coming Series uses everday ingredients that are found commonly in your pantry. Just everyday items. They have recipes for everyday meals as well as recipes for special occasions.

I don't know if they are a well known series in the States but I really enjoy using them.

I'm thinking your pantry and mine look a lot different; I'm thinking I'm lacking a lot of the basics. I always hypervenilate when I look in a Companies Coming book because I find there are soooo many ingredients. I like looking on-line for recipes - especially stuff I can throw in the slow cooker. I also like Rachel Ray's stuff because it is so quick and easy. She can annoy me when I watch her, but I like fast and easy.

Edited by chrysana