Shannon   

That sounds great too, I love ginger snaps. But I such a spice wimp, I have to drink a lot of milk with them, I bet the mixture would really cool that problem down.

I know it's been a while since this thread was in use, but if anyone's still checking it, I'd love to know if you all have some tips for starting a food blog. I've been an avid cook for years and have been wanting to make a blog for a while, but don't quite know how to get the ball rolling... Any tips would be appreciated

MrsGryn   

Do you have a particular theme for cooking that you'd want to blog about? It seems the most popular ones have been consistent, like the that that cooked a meal in a crockpot every day, or family oriented ones or cheap meals. 

Pictures are important but I personally hate scrolling through a ton of them to get to the recipe.

tlh9   

I know, I love the really yummy food photos, and even appreciate photos of certain steps that aren't "standard" (especially for a beginning cook!)... but sometimes there are just a shitload of them and I'm like, "are we ever gonna get to the recipe??"  Sometime the layout of the photos could be a lot more tastefully done.  Pun intended.  

Love crock-pot meals, and quickie ones that are still fairly hearty, or stuff you can make ahead and freeze like doing your own TV dinners or something for during the week!

Shannon   

I like when they tell me if it is okay to freeze or not, how and how long you can freeze it, and how to reheat or cook it after you thaw it out or if you need to thaw, etc.  it may sound simple for most, but I am having some problems lately understanding the obvious. 

tlh9   

Ooo, yeah, freezing instructions are good!  Not all things are conducive to freezing, I've found out.  hahaha!  And yeah, the best way to like wrap/contain it and stuff.  Good one.

At this point in my life, I'm not necessarily looking for quick meals, I'm looking for good real food meals.  Many of the more popular recipe sites or food blogs tend to use Sandra Lee-ish shortcuts when preparing recipes.  My preference is not to dump a jar of store-bought Alfredo sauce, but to have a step showing how to make the Alfredo sauce.  It took me FOREVER to track down a recipe for Tuna Noodle Casserole which didn't mention at least one "cream of" soups.  

I agree on the freezing instructions.....they come in very handy for both meal-prep and leftovers.

Jade   

My favorite food blogs are Smitten Kitchen and Use Real Butter. ....And, Joy The Baker for sweets and brunch food.

Wow, those are already really helpful tips -- thanks, everyone! As for a theme, I guess I'm not sure yet. I like cooking pretty much everything, especially healthy and organic stuff (as much as my budget will allow) but I don't know beyond that. Is that enough of a theme, do you think? Cooking healthy on a budget?

AVorlon   

I think I would be more interested to know how you get the word out that you even have a blog in the first place.  It's a good idea to have a theme that people are interested in, but I don't know how the marketing of that works, and how you get people to watch it. 

MrsGryn   

Cooking healthy on a budget sounds like a great starting point. I like the idea of incorporating organic items that are affordable - or reasons why you should blow your budget on an organic item. 

Excellent suggestion there, EA.

That's really good to hear! Thanks for that suggestion, elizabethann.

To answer AVorlorn: I'm not sure how the marketing of that works either, but I did a little research last weekend, and came across a really helpful article. It talks about how important it is to find a target market that the blog caters to, and then gives tips for how to cater to it best. It helped me a lot, so maybe it'll help you too