Tsylyst

Movies

Jade   

The acting in Three Billboards was stellar.

But, I think the best picture was Dunkirk. Dunkirk was robbed! And, normally, I hate war movies.  (too depressing)  This time I was in it from minute one. It had it all... Gorgeous cinematography, amazing direction and top notch acting. That was one beautifully executed film.  I loved the way it felt as if the viewer was stranded right there on the beach with them from the very beginning.  I couldn't stop watching.

AVorlon   

I agree that "Dunkirk" was a really good movie, and I appreciated what they did with that. However, I'm so tired of war that I don't want to see it anymore, even if it's historically portrayed and from a long time ago. I'm war weary, and I don't get any entertainment out of watching it.   

One last thing about "Lady Bird" from the director, who explained that the last scenes showed her transforming into an adult and going with her real name of "Christine".  The very last shot showed her inhaling on the steps of a church, but the movie ended before she could exhale. The director said her exhale would be the start of the next chapter in her life. 

Jade   

I just saw Molly's game and loved it. Quick, witty and seriously entertaining... Jessica Chastain is quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses. She's a beautiful chameleon and she's perfection in this role. She even manages to make poker look interesting.

Edited by Jade
Oh yeah, we also learn that Tobey Maguire (Player X) is a total dick.

MrsGryn   

We saw "Ready Player One" last Friday. Liked it a lot, but it's flawed. Very Spielbergian, which is not a knock to me, just veers into hokey territory. I haven't read the book so cannot compare the two. The villains were cartoonish and I felt their actions were often way too menacing and violently real to align with the silliness of their dialog and attitudes. The leads are likable and the visual stuff is phenomenal. Definitely liked seeing it on a big screen, but have no urge to see it again at this point.

uaintjak   

I just watched Blade Runner 2049 and loved it.  They took elements of the original film, the director's cut, and the film's novelization (the original Blade Runner I mean) and tied them all together really well, so that no matter which one you think of as "canon" your views were supported.  Very clever.  I'm surprised it didn't do well at the box office, but I guess the runtime, and it being the sequel to a kind of niche film (although a classic of sci fi) didn't help.  Ryan Gosling, though.  Yum.

AVorlon   

I haven't seen that one yet, but it's in my queue. I'm tired of movies about dystopian futures, but I can take one every now and again. 

I just finished "The Disaster Artist", which is about the making of the worst movie of all time, "The Room"., which is now a cult classic  because it's so horribly awful  that people want to see it.  I've had "The Room" in my queue for three months now, and I'm still on a waiting list.  

While I'm on the subject, I still want to see older movies that apparently aren't available, like "On the Beach", "Klute", and "Save the Tiger".  I don't want to buy them. just watch them again. 

uaintjak   

So, funny post I saw on Reddit.  You are being hunted by the protagonist of the last movie you saw, and you are being protected by the protagonist of the last tv show you watched.  What are your chances?

That means I'm being hunted by blade runner Ryan Gosling, but I'm protected by former CIA operative Carrie Mathison.  So my odds are...pretty good?

MrsGryn   

Odds are pretty good...you're gonna DIE!

Let's see, so I'm being hunted by Wade Watts who basically lives in a van and spends all his time in a virtual world, and I'm being protected by Ted Allen from "Chopped."

AVorlon   

Just finished with "The Shape of Water", and it was exactly what the director said it was, a fairy tale for modern times. The things I noticed about it the most were the incredible set designs, the direction, the cinematography, .and the perfect musical score. I only looked it up afterwards, but they won Academy Awards for each of those things.   

According to the director, Mr. Del  Toro, he has already proven himself and has plenty of money, so now he's going to make the movies, like this one, that HE wants to make. Good for him. 

Edited by AVorlon

uaintjak   

Infinity War was awesome.  They jumped right in and it never stopped.  Dialogue was great, characters were great, just a really fun movie.  I haven't seen a lot of the preceding titles, but wasn't lost.

MrsGryn   

We really enjoyed "Avengers; Infinity War." They did a really good job mixing all the characters together, giving the villain an understandable motive for his insanity, folded the humor into the story really well, and no one felt like they got too much time or too little time onscreen. 

Loved the stuff with Chris Hemsworth and the Guardians. "Rabbit."   "Groot was an elective."

None of them are dead! Especially considering there are more movies in the works for some of the alleged deceased.