Tsylyst

Movies

...musicals...

I have a Secret Obsession with Jesus Christ Superstar. I have seen this movie from start to finish at least 55 times that I have counted and I'm sure it's more.

My name is not Jameka. I do not say ummmmhmmm. I just like the songs. Well I'm Catholic so I like the story too but mostly the songs.

gforce   

I'm not sure what to make of it, Tsy. I will go see it of course, but I'm still not sure on the whole concept of the prequel. They were in pretty tricky waters with Enterprise (although I mostly enjoyed the series), but this one is a real gamble. It could either be great or wind up a mockery. We'll see, I guess.

Kyara   

While I admit Sylar could make a perfect Spock, I'm not sure I still won't be waiting for him to cut someone's brain out of their head. Either way, I'm there!

RCToros   

Isn't JJ Abrams (of Lost, Alias, Felicity fame) doing the StarTrek movie?

That guy can't miss! Even though I wandered away from Star Trek franchise after TNG went off the air, this news has me excited again.

Magpie   

I agree with g; I just don't know about this. I faithfully watched every series until Enterprise, and I just could not get into that one (even though I like Scott Bakula).

gforce   
Isn't JJ Abrams (of Lost, Alias, Felicity fame) doing the StarTrek movie?

That guy can't miss! Even though I wandered away from Star Trek franchise after TNG went off the air, this news has me excited again.

Yes, he is. I know his work is pretty good. What I don't think I would want to a "re-imagining" of the series' into something that was no longer "Star Trek". If they hold true to the basic principles of it, it should be okay. From what I've read, I'm optimistic, but if I had my preferences, I would rather a "new" movie in the sense that it would be in the (slightly) post-TNG era. It worries me a bit whenever they say they want to pull "non-fans" into the movie (although that is a worthy goal in itself), but I think when tried before, it's had mixed results.

Like I say, I'm hopeful, but cautious.

MrsGryn   
I have a Secret Obsession with Jesus Christ Superstar. I have seen this movie from start to finish at least 55 times that I have counted and I'm sure it's more.

I have an unabashed love for Carl Anderson. He was such a fantastic talent and I wish he'd had the huge career he deserved. I've got a couple of his solo albums and just love them.

Tsylyst   

I'm not 100% sure about it, either, gforce. For one thing, Star Trek cannon has always seemed that the TOS crew didn't know each other until they got to Enterprise, except for Kirk and McCoy. But this movie seems to be casting Academy-age versions of most of the crew ... a crew that was diverse enough in age that they wouldn't have been at the Academy at the same time.

I was never a fan of "Enterprise" (the show) -- a prequel was a bad idea from the beginning. They were written into a corner before they even began.

But I'll be seeing the movie when it comes out, nonetheless.

RCToros   
Yes, he is. I know his work is pretty good. What I don't think I would want to a "re-imagining" of the series' into something that was no longer "Star Trek". If they hold true to the basic principles of it, it should be okay. From what I've read, I'm optimistic, but if I had my preferences, I would rather a "new" movie in the sense that it would be in the (slightly) post-TNG era. It worries me a bit whenever they say they want to pull "non-fans" into the movie (although that is a worthy goal in itself), but I think when tried before, it's had mixed results.

Like I say, I'm hopeful, but cautious.

From what I've read, he's a big fan so I imagine he will treat it well. Mission Impossible 3 was great, and I don't even like Tom Cruise. I think he re-invigorated that franchise. (do 3 movies make a franchise?)

I never watched any of the UPN Star Trek shows. I watched a little DS9 after TNG went off the air but that was more about wanting a ST fix instead of actually liking the show. The Bajorans were a major part of the storylines and I just never got into it. Bajorans were like a poor man's Vulcan.