Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Survivor 36 - 5/8/16 - Probst Finally Chokes on a Challenge!

MrsGryn   

Last week, idols and advantages were played like it was the going-out-of-business sale at the local Kmart. Back at came after tribal, the votes get counted up and everyone except Kellyn declares “Not me!” on the extra vote. She confesses and naturally pisses Laurel off for placing two votes on her head. Surely Kellyn would not be so dumb as to believe Laurel would forget that little move?

(Interesting insight: in Michael’s interview with EW.com, he said he had no clue how tight Laurel was with Domenick and Wendell, and that she was always kind of mopey about Malolo losing all the time. So it seems Laurel put on a really good show and thus Kellyn might very well assume Laurel would jump at the chance of aligning with her.)

Reward challenge time! Probst is wearing a Sherwin-Williams Carbonized shirt, for those keeping score at home. The challenge involves running across a beam to retrieve a sandbag, retrieve a sandbag and then race through a series of obstacles (high step grid, dig sand out from a log, etc.), then toss the sandbag until it lands on a very small platform/target. Want to know what they are playing for? Food, of course. Ribs, chicken, burgers, pastries, and ice cream. Probst asks if it is worth playing for, and I scream YES, YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD! from the comfort of my couch after a dinner of tostadas and Dreyer’s Rocky Road. Wait, sorry, wrong coast. Edy’s Rocky Road. Anyway, the Survivors are more than game for the reward, but first! Probst says the only thing that would make it better would be to share it with…no, not Ryan Reynolds or Hugh Jackman. If you guessed “family member would had a passport” then you would be correct. So without further ado, let’s see who showed up for which Survivor.

Wendell’s dad, Wendell Sr., who is a handsome fellow. Wendell is in pieces seeing his dad and gives him all kinds of credit with being awesome. I will reserve judgment until I hear Wendell Sr. dis Rappin’ Chris Noble in a three-quarter rhyme scheme. Next is Kellyn’s brother, Clay comes out. Kellyn tells a slightly uncomfortable story about how Survivor is the only thing they can communicate about because they are opposite in so many ways. Thanksgiving must be fun at their house. Next is Donathan’s Aunt Patty, who appears to be dressed for tea with the Queen. Angela’s daughter, Paige, comes out and Probst asks her about what it was like having a military mom who was gone a lot. Paige, who seems to be a lovely, mature young woman, answers matter-of-factly that they just did what had to be done because her mom was serving the country and the military. Her poised answer throws Probst for a loop because he actually gets choked up as he talks to Angela, and when we see a long shot of Jeff, he is blinking his eyes rapidly. I can’t recall that Probst ever being quite so effected by a visit from a loved one. It is kind of sweet. But we only have an hour, kids, so move it along! And get Paige hooked up with Michael as soon as this show is over! Anyway, next is Chelsea and her sister Sydney. Cute reunion. Let’s move on. Laurel’s brother Frank, who is a tall fellow, was not given any lines so we only hear him at the end telling Laurel to get ‘er done. Following is SeaBass’s sister, Grace. They obviously love each other very much, and he is so happy, I am guessing she replenished his weed stash.

Finally, we have Domenick’s wife, Kristin. This is…interesting. Italian-Jersey girl hair, loud, loud, wheezing sobs as she hugs him and tells him she loves him and hates him at the same time. She tells Probst she’s been in agony and Jeff seems confused as to why that would be agony. I mean, I miss my husband when he’s gone for a few days, but using a word like agony when he’s not, you know, DEAD, seems like a bit of an overstatement. She goes on to talk about something but between the Jersey accent and the high pitched whine I couldn’t listen to it a second time. Let’s just move on to the challenge and lament that we don’t get treated to Donathan’s aunt trying to negotiate the grid step obstacle.

Survivors ready? GO! Wendell is out ahead but gets bogged down by untying the sandbag. Donathan takes a header and his aunt stands up as if she is going to go kiss his boo-boo. Finally everyone is digging out the sand to shimmy under the log. SeaBass is the first one through and starts tossing his sandbag. It keeps hitting the target but sliding off. Domenick is second to start throwing the sandbag but eventually SeaBass hits the target and it stays. Sebastian wins, and he gets to choose four people and their loved ones to go with them. He picks Domenick, then Wendell, and finally he picks Donathan, saying he deserves it. So boys go eat ribs, girls go back to camp. Oh, but wait! There’s more! Probst tells SeaBass that he has to pick someone to go to Ghost Island where there is an advantage waiting for them. He can pick himself but then his sister goes home immediately, or if he cannot pick anyone, then the four girls will choose among themselves who goes. SeaBass, being a fucking idiot, does not take this option himself but asks the fellows if any of them want to go. Wendell says yes, causing Kellyn to throw her arms up in the air in frustration. She is mad because then one more of the girls could have spent time with their loved one, and by one more of the girls she entirely means herself. She claims the boys should not have left the girls alone on the beach because they are going to bond against the icky boys! I don’t hate Kellyn but she sure makes it difficult to like her. I’m a hard neutral on Kellyn.

Ghost Island is short but sweet. The advantage awaiting Wendell is the one Malcolm had on Survivor: Philippines, which is a restart on the challenge. I really enjoyed this portion because we got to see then handsome Malcolm again, even though he lost the challenge and was voted out.

Speaking of short and sweet, we spend a total of two minutes and 36 seconds on the reward portion of the challenge. That is fine because it meant I did not have to hear Domenick’s wife speak again, and had the added advantage of Aunt Patty threatening Dom if he lies to her Donathan. Aunt Patty may look sweet in her linen dress and pink shawl, but you know there is Appalachian steel under that apple-cheeked exterior. Better guard your macarons, Dom.

Back at camp, Kellyn is still pissed off at the boys bonding and she rants quite a bit about how they left the girls to wash the dishes and do the camp chores. She’s really angry about the afternoon for someone who claims to not have a great relationship with her sibling. Perhaps now she knows what it is like being on the outside of an alliance. There is a lot of discussion of the girls voting together and bring in Donathan as the fifth vote, to break up Donathan and Wendell. Laurel agrees with everything, but confesses that Kellyn’s two votes against her are still a factor in her head. How can she trust Kellyn after that, and go against two people she has been aligned with since the first of approximately 47 tribe switches? I suspect Kellyn has already filed Laurel in the “non-threatening” category.

Day 32. Immunity challenge time. Probst is wearing a Sherwin-Williams Blue Discovery shirt, for those keeping score at home. Probst describes the challenge, which is the same one that Malcolm lost in Survivor 25: Philippines. There are three sections of cylinders. Survivors will have to hold the two outside ones with enough pressure to keep the middle second from falling, while balancing a steel ball bearing in the middle section. If the ball should fall, the Survivor is out. New sections will be added every ten minutes as the challenge goes on. Wendell reads his advantage aloud so everyone knows what he got out of Ghost Island.

Survivors ready? GO! Yeah, go, on the dullest challenge action we have seen so far this season. Not even Probst’s normally ginned up narration can help it. Kellyn is out in the first couple of minutes. After ten minutes, another section is added but Angela can’t even pick up the cylinders. Wendell drops his but has the reset so everyone else gets to put theirs down while he gets his cylinders again. Unfortunately the reset did not help and Wendell was out again. Finally after 20 minutes, it is the final round and it will go on as long as it takes. SeaBass drops, followed later by Laurel. We are left with Domenick, Chelsea, and Donathan. Suddenly, Chelsea drops and thus her two win streak has come to a close. We go on for a little while longer, but Donathan’s hands start shaking and he drops. Thus Dom wins immunity for the second time in a row.

Back at camp, Wendell regrets giving up time with his dad for something that amounted to night. He and Dom decide voting out Chelsea is the best option as she has won challenges (and doesn’t seem to have pissed anyone on the jury off, which is starting to be important). Kellyn thinks it would be her sweetest move yet to get Wendell voted out. Suddenly Donathan is the man of the hour and the women swarm him to convince him voting out Wendell is the best thing ever! Donathan barely listens before he agrees and says he is down with voting out Wendell. I think Donathan may be employing the Gryn Strategy: agree to EVERY proposed alliance, then decide what you want to do later. He and Laurel hash it out as to what to do. Laurel knows she and Donathan can’t win against Wendell and Dom, but thanks to Kellyn’s boneheaded move to use her extra vote against Laurel, there is no way Laurel will ever feel comfortable with Kellyn. Laurel really is in the middle here, with good arguments for both choices.

Tribal council. Probst is wearing a Sherwin-Williams Reflecting Pool shirt, for those keeping score at home. The jury comes in and Desiree got the memo. She looks fantastic tonight in a little jumper type of outfit. Since there are only twelve minutes left until the top of the hour, this tribal is going to be short, but Donathan wants to make sure it is memorable by immediately telling Probst there are cracks in Naviti and there is definitely an opening for Donathan and Laurel to exploit. The rest of the old Naviti tribe looks around at each other with wide eyes and some shock. Laurel even confirms what Donathan has said about using a division in the other alliance. Then Donathan double downs and says outright that he has had the girls come and talk to him and has had the guys come and talk to him. Wendell closes his eyes in pain or possibly frustration. He may have closed them because I was laughing so loudly about the boneheaded, clueless Donathan barreling through tribal council like a bull in a seashell shop. There is much consternation and it looks like Wendell may need to make good on his promise to use his idol tonight.

One my second watching of tribal tonight, I did pick up that Domenick actually spelled out what happened at camp under the pretense of it being a possibility. He says that during the reward feast, it occurred to him that the women left back on the beach could be talking to each other and that if Donathan was truly aligned with Laurel, it could be trouble for the men. So…exactly what Kellyn did was what popped into Dom’s thoughts. I suspect it was actually a part we didn’t see, in that Laurel and Wendell had a talk in which Laurel spilled the beans about the girl alliance conversation on the beach, then Dom picked his words and tone very carefully when he “supposed” the exact plan Kellyn created, using Laurel and Donathan. And with that, it’s time to vote.

Time to tally the votes. No use of a random idol, so all votes matter.

Wendell.

Chelsey.

Wendell.

Chelsea.

Wendell.

Chelsea.

Chelsea.

Chelsea!

And with that, Chelsea the Quiet One is voted out. She won a couple of immunity challenges, she did not piss anyone off, and she made zero impression on me. See you on AllStars!

tlh9   

We need a season that has both Malcolm and Michael on it... and who was the other one?  Was his name Joe?  I think so...

On 5/9/2018 at 4:49 PM, MrsGryn said:

I am guessing she replenished his weed stash

hahaha!  Yeah, I bet she did...

eta:  Anglim... Joe Anglim, not Joe Mena... holy mother of god, not the latter... 

Edited by tlh9