Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

James Lim - Malolo - Eliminated sixth

MrsGryn   

Photo and info courtesy of CBS.com

image.png

Hometown: Los Angeles, California
Current residence: New York, New York

Hobbies: Working out, exploring restaurants/bars, and traveling to faraway destinations.

Pet peeves: Slow walkers, people who are superficial, and bigots.

Three words to describe you: Astute, resolute, and ambitious.

What's your personal claim to fame?
I am a U.S. Presidential Scholar selected by President Obama's commission, and interned for his White House administration. In college, I was a walk-on sprinter for Harvard Track and Field and, as a senior, was elected team captain by my teammates, becoming the first Asian American captain in program history.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
My grandfather came from a rural village in Korea, survived the Korean War, put himself through the best college in the country, and eventually became a successful businessman. He came from nothing to overcome tremendous odds and so much adversity and always exemplified love for family along the way. He passed away a couple of years ago but remains an inspiration in everything I do.

If you could have three things on the island, what would they be and why?
First, a photo of my family. They'll be a source of emotional strength no matter how tough it gets out there. Second would be an American flag because being a first-generation American is one of the greatest sources of pride and willpower for me. Finally, a journal and pen to take notes on the game as it develops and also to keep a diary during the adventure of a lifetime.

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Yul Kwon. Our backgrounds are uncannily similar as Korean-American management consultants, and I plan to follow his example in being cool, calm, and collected throughout the game. Yul's Survivor journey contributed greatly to the positive representation of Asian-Americans on TV, and I hope to do the same.

What's your reason for being on Survivor?
Survivor is an adventure like no other. Everything it presents—the wilderness, the challenges, the fellow castaways from all cross-sections of America—will be a chance for me to break out of the bubble I've been a part of for most of my life and push myself physically, emotionally, and mentally like never before. I'll embrace the challenge and have fun along the way.

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
There is no magic formula to winning Survivor. However, there are qualities that will help players get far. I believe I have most of them—I am team-oriented, athletic, outgoing, and tenacious. I will focus on being a helpful, likable asset to those around me, and on the down low strategically pave my path to the very end.

knewb   

He seems quite likeable and level headed. We'll see how long it takes him to prove that impression wrong.

MrsGryn   

This is the second time I've read someone doesn't like slow walkers. Get a grip dude, just walk around them. 

AVorlon   

He passes the looks test for physical fitness, so why can't he dive more than one foot down without coming back up?   I can see being out of breath for a minute,  but then you recover and go back down.  His capacity for holding his breath seems to be about 10 seconds or less.  

MrsGryn   

There were a number of issues. He was hyperventilating. He was starting to panic a little. And with the mask covering his nose he was not getting nearly enough air into his lungs. By treading water so close to the waterline, he could not take a deep breath without getting water in his mouth, so he had to keep spitting it out, thus exhaling more air and not taking more in. When competent swimmers are in the water, you see them rise up a little away from the waterline to take a big breath, and James didn't know he needed to do that. Even after he got back to the platform once he helped get Donathan on the wood, he himself collapsed. 

I think if he had been the one to go home, he would have accepted it with grace. 

Jade   

He definitely wasn't the strongest swimmer. While treading water, all he had to do was one or two powerful scissor kicks and he could have easily hovered over those waves... even with an undercurrent.

Jade   

I'm sorry to see him go. He seemed like a really nice guy.

But, how do you go on a show like Survivor knowing you're a weak swimmer and not spend every second prior to the show at least trying to learn?  The same applies to everyone on the show who never bothers to learn how to start a fire. How do you go on a show like this so unprepared? It makes no sense.

There was something about James which felt very inauthentic.  He was in tremendous shape, but had no physical ability.  He wanted to be strategic, but never really had the wits about him to be so.  He wanted to come across as nice, but normally it doesn't take that much convincing.  There's no ill will toward him on my part, just appeared to me to be playing a role rather than living a life.  He is certainly no Yul Kwon.  

I feel no sympathy for James because he screwed himself. He was the chief voice for booting Morgan instead of Angela a few episodes ago.  Considering Angela was the one they were trying to get to flip this episodes, yeah, no, this is James's own doing.

uaintjak   

What was up with his weird sensei ninja stare at the end?  And yes I used "sensei ninja" because he's Asian, but also because that's what it looked like.

MrsGryn   

In an interview, he said he was surprised Michael also voted against him, that up until the end he really thought he had a chance to flip Angela. He did say he didn't hold it against Michael.