Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

Survivor 36: Ghost Island

I'm kind of lukewarm on the entire Ghost Island thing so far. I'm glad every urn doesn't do something and there's supposedly a chance that they still get nothing but it still allows production with a lot if chances to fix the game. If someone is a favorite, they just need to place the right thing and then BAM, they get Super Immunity. Mind you, they could just hide immunity idols on the path they walk to Confessionals like they have in the past but still.

MrsGryn   

There was a LOT to unpack in the show. It took over two hours to do the recap for the first hour. I need to finish my second cup of coffee before tackling the next hour. So far I'm on board with the Ghost Island thing, and I'm happy with the two people who were sent packing.

Way too early to have a merge.  From reading comments on other sites, it's clear it wasn't just me who hasn't yet connected with the contestants outside of a given handful who have hogged been given camera time.   I was blindsided by the Morgan votes mainly because I could't figure out who the hell Morgan was or what she did/didn't do to warrant an ouster.  If it was strategy to gain voting power, I couldn't tell you who it helped since I have no idea who the majority of these characters are let alone how they relate to each other or their old/new tribes.  Perhaps I'm just too SLOWOLD to follow Survivor.  Someone toss me the Cliff Notes, please!.....(they still have Cliff Notes, right???)

MrsGryn   

Too bad there isn't a recap that gives some details on what you are asking. *side-eye*

Morgan and Angela were together on Old Naviti. Angela is friendly with Chris the Alpha Male. 

Libby is the young blonde in braids from the Old Malolo. She and Morgan bonded because they are both Catholic Morgan assumed this meant that Libby was willing to forego her alliance with her old tribe mates (James, Donathan, Laurel) to cross party lines and vote out the person Morgan wanted out, who was Angela. Domenick wanted Angela gone due to the Chris connection. 

Angela was told they were voting for Libby and thus she voted for Libby.

Morgan, Wendell, and Domenick voted for Angela, assuming at least one of Old Malolo (Libby) was going along with them. Dom assumed he had snookered them with his excellent game play and they would all vote the same way.

All four of Old Malolo stuck together and voted out Morgan since they could not be sure Dom wouldn't use his suspected immunity necklace. It was never specified any other reason it was Morgan other than it was obvious she was aligned with Dom. Also she was kind of annoying, but that may be my personal opinion.

tlh9   

We have a Laurel this year?  I thought the reference to "Laurel" in the show recap was about Stan Laurel... 

looking back, okay, yes, we do have an actual Laurel!  It takes me a while to remember names and associate them with the people!  Except for a few who stand out for one reason or another.

This wasn't a merge that happened last night, it was just a mix-up.  But yeah, I hadn't learned-to-the-point-of-remembering who was with what tribe originally! So the above helps.  

Even then, taking out Morgan seemed like a really stupid move. Morgan was willing to work with them unlike Angela. Of course, there was always something that we didn't see in the edit but, next time they go to Tribal, with Ghost Island, Old Malolo could be in the minority Old Naviti have no reason to work with them this time.

I'm sure Libby especially will kick herself in the butt when she finds out Morgan had the legacy advantage.

AVorlon   

I agree that it's confusing for the average viewer when you  re-organize the tribes this early.  It's interesting that human tribes can form so quickly, with people you only met last week, but now you're bonded with them against other people that you may have more in common with. .

In the meantime, there are still about five people who have never been on a losing tribe, and have never been to Tribal Council. We don't hear from them, and they are totally under the radar. 

17 hours ago, MrsGryn said:

Too bad there isn't a recap that gives some details on what you are asking. *side-eye*

Of course there's the recap - I almost posted my discussion there, but my critique felt more about the timing of the buff swap than the episode itself.  I appreciate your explanation, but to read it only left me even more confused.  So, it wasn't one single "old" tribe standing together, but a blend of the revised tribe?  I'm not sure how that played to an advantage.  Morgan seemed pretty meh in the game.  Just seems odd to force a blindside for anyone other than a stronger player (Angela?) who has leadership qualities.  

MrsGryn   

Old Malolo stayed together and voted in a block. We didn't get a clear explanation of their reasoning to vote out Morgan. There was no reason for Old Malolo to do what Old Naviti wanted - how would that be advantageous to Old Malolo? Taking out someone Old Naviti wanted out of the game only only helps Old Naviti, not Old Malolo. Now Old Malolo can pull over Angela and Chris, who was clear in his desire to get rid of Domenick. 

Of course, the tribes will probably be swapped again next week.

tlh9   
3 hours ago, AVorlon said:

It's interesting that human tribes can form so quickly, with people you only met last week, but now you're bonded with them against other people that you may have more in common with

This!  This has always amazed me.  I mean, yeah... you've only known these people for a freaking week!  One of the "new outside people" may be your best bet to team up with, but you'd never know it because you don't give them a chance.

It's kinda like a holdover from the days of early human civilization or something.

uaintjak   

It was a pretty great tribal, honestly.  The four Malolo just destroyed the numerically advantaged Naviti.  There is no way Angela is going to work with Naviti anymore, and Chris wants Dom out too badly to work with him.  They kept Wendall Glover so they maximized their chances of staying physically strong, and got rid of Morgan so there's no way she can win the all-important dolphin training challenge later on. Instead of 5-4 (5-3 after tribal), now its 4-2-2, and Malolo has the 4.  They went from doomed to a great position. It helps that Naviti is stupid and dysfunctional.

AVorlon   

At last, for the first time, everyone has finally been to Tribal Council. No more flying under the radar, although some of them still are. I'm pretty sure that this was the first time I ever heard Chelsea speak on the show, only to retreat into obscurity again.