Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Survivor 35 - 12/06/2017 - Please Pass the Salt

MrsGryn   

Things saltier than Chrissy:

1 – The ocean.

2 – Country ham.

3 – Tonight’s tribal council.

The usual confusion reigns post-Tribal at the start of the show. Ryan good naturedly tells us that he recognizes he was hoodwinked in order to flush his idol. One of the things I like about the Turtleneck is that he doesn’t seem to take the twists and turns of the game to heart. He’s pissed, but he also understands it’s a game and it is a trust no one kind of game. Which brings us to Chrissy, who confronts Ben by asking him what just happened. Ben’s nonchalant response? “Joe went home.” Now, I found that answer pretty funny. Chrissy does not. She starts pointing her finger at Ben for betraying her when she had his back. Ben, speaking for a certain portion of the audience, points out to Chrissy that any time someone goes against what she wants, she turns into a tyrant. She calls him a jerk and he explains it is the game of Survivor. However, it’s when he starts lecturing her about her attitude when she is thwarted that she cuts him off with a curt, “Good night.” Ben’s response? “Night-night.” This is what two adults, one who has been through war and one who has an Ivy-league education, have been reduced to by Survivor. It is magnificent.

By the time the morning rolls around, Chrissy is still not over it and continues to bitch about Ben not acting like a friend in a game where the prize is to betray strangers in order to win a million dollars. She worries about her days being numbered, which I’d like to point out they are for everyone. She should know that since she is, you know, an actuary and that is LITERALLY what she does for a living: figure out the number of days we have left.

Reward challenge time. Probst is wearing a Valspar Everglades Deck blue shirt, for those keeping score at home. Our intrepid host tells everyone they will be working in pairs for the challenge, but not with each other. Yes, it is time for the traditional visit from the loved one. Let’s see who braved the steerage class flight to Fiji for each of our Survivors. Ashley’s dad, Jim, who resembles a low-rent Kevin Sorbo comes out wearing a bright blue Hawaiian style shirt. Nice homage to Probst, dude. Next is Ryan’s dad, Steve. Well, he says his name is Steve but I’m pretty certain his real name is Pat Sajak. He and the Turtleneck have the same nose and florid complexion. Mike’s wife, Barrie (spelling on that is a guess) is next. She’s a petite blonde with a great smile and doesn’t even wrinkle her nose when she hugs DrMike and his filthy formerly-yellow shirt. Mike is overcome with emotion talking about her and it’s honestly so very sweet that I’m going to need a shot of insulin. Luckily, Lauren’s sister Sunny is next and she, rather than run to hug her sister, veers right and hugs Probst, who is absolutely delighted. “Thirty five seasons and I get a hug!” Sunny finally hugs Lauren and comments that Lauren lost some of her fat rolls. Then Lauren rolls a bus over her sister by mentioning that they went to the Survivor casting together and Sunny, who is the real Survivor fan, failed the audition. I’m going to guess that Sunny would not have been so stupid as to tell everyone about her secret advantage, so we might have missed out on a decent player. Oh, well, I foresee a new season of Blood vs. Water. Probst asks Chrissy how long she has been married and she says almost twenty years. Her husband, Keith, comes out wearing a lovely pink and blue plaid shirt. (note from gforce: I had a shirt just like that…in the 1980s). Chrissy tells Jeff that her husband is her everything and she is now reevaluating her life because she has been so caught up in work and when she gets home she wants to devote her life to her family. I give it two weeks on the outside. After that, we have Devon and his hippie mom Sonja, who hugs her son and laughs and laughs and laughs and I’m really not sure she is capable of speech. She’s adorable, though. She speaks for all of us when she says it’s a lucky day for anyone who gets to spend time with her son. And finally, Ben’s daught…er, wife, Kelly. Their reunion is as tearful as you’d expect. She is very cute and looks like a brunette Emma Stone. Probst’s question gives Ben a chance to talk about PTSD again. We also find out that his kids are five and three. Tiny tots!

And now to the “challenge.” That is in quotes because this is hardly a challenge. It is a game of change. Each Survivor and their loved one will be given bags with two marbles in it, one black and the other white. Taking turns, the Survivor will pull a marble from his or her bag, and then the loved one will pull a marble from their bag. If the marbles match, then the team is still alive. If they are different, then that team is out. That is it. I spent a lot of the next five minutes screaming, “RIGGED!” at my TV, though I’m fairly confident that everyone was able to look at the two marbles in their bags first so everyone knew there was no hanky panky. Still….RIGGED! Oh the reward is the loved one going back to camp and having a bar-be-que. Lauren begins and she and Sunny are out immediately. Mike goes next, and Barrie fails to match. Ryan follows and his dad blows it. Ben pulls a black marble and so does Kelly. Chrissy and Keith match as well. RIGGED! Ashley and Jim are out. Finally, Devon and Sonja are out. So now it’s a marble-off between Ben and Chrissy, aka Jerk and Salty. Jerk fails, Salty wins. RIGGED! Probst tells her to pick a Survivor and loved one. She picks Ryan and Steve immediately. Jeff lets her pick someone else and she goes for DrMike and Barrie. Finally, she gets one last one and she picks Ashley and Jim. And since she is never one to let a good opportunity to be a bitch go to waste, she tells us that Ben picked the wrong time to stop sniffing glue…no, wait, that’s not right. He picked the wrong time to betray her because now he doesn’t get to spend time with his “sweet Kelly.” Like all of us, Chrissy is the hero of her own story. Too bad she can’t see she’s the villain in the rest of the chapters.

During the bar-be-que, Chrissy works on Ashley to convince her to switch sides and vote Ben out. Not sure she already knew Ashley was thinking along those lines, but Chrissy’s game instincts were good here. Ashley can see the obvious threat to being against Ben in the end. Meanwhile, said threat is off making a fake idol in the hopes that Chrissy, Ryan or DrMike find it and don’t look for the real hidden idol. Lauren, again proving that she is not a student of the game, grouses to us that Ben just wants personal revenge against Chrissy and he wants to see Probst throw that idol in the fire. Huh. Funny you talk about that here, Lauren, considering what happens at Tribal. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Lauren just doesn’t like Ben taking things to the personal level. As she, Ben and Helloooo Devon are out searching for the idol, Lauren comes across it. Well, she comes across the leather thong of an idol. The note states that the other half is a shell and will be hidden in plain sight at the immunity challenge. It will be up to her to get it. Also the idol parts must be together for the idol to work, so the string is no good alone. Interesting little twist.

Immunity challenge time. Probst is wearing a Valspar Pacific Pleasure blue shirt, for those keeping score at home. It’s a simple challenge: stand on a platform and use your fingertips to hold two discs up against a couple of poles. Endurance and finger strength. Come chimes are attached to the discs so there is a lovely little musical element to the game. Oh and good news: apparently it is one of the hottest days in Fiji. Only Ben is wearing a hat, of course. The camera pans over the Survivors and once it reaches Lauren at the end of the row, the camera pans down to show us the shell half of the idol in the sand. Gosh, will she be able to snag it? Survivors ready? GO! Ben is out first, followed by Chrissy, then Ryan. Lauren just drops her discs, much to Jeff’s displeasure. She claims her shoulders were done but really, she could have pretended to lose her grip so it would not have looked quite so obvious. DrMike follows a little later and we are left with Devon and Ashley. The two of them negotiate a shoulder massage for the loser and Probst is astonished that one of them would give up immunity but Devon assures Jeff that an Ashley win is just as good as a Devon win. Oh, dude. No. No, it isn’t. You can be voted out. You won’t be, because there are bigger fish to fry, but that is a dangerous and kind of stupid way to think about it.

Post challenge talk involves Ashley revisiting the idea of putting “big moves” on her resume. She is jonesing to get out Ben. She, Devon and Lauren wander down to the well to discuss it. What they don’t do is keep a good look out because Ben wanders down behind him and hears them. When he walks up, they stop talking, which is so stupid. ALWAYS have a secondary conversation ready to go! How hard is it to just pop up with, “So we’re all agreed it’s Chrissy, right?” and cover your asses! As a viewer, however, I am glad for their ineptitude because shit starts happening. Ben runs to DrMike to complain about feeling unsafe and his erstwhile alliance talking about him. Ben tells DrMike about the two part immunity idol that Lauren found, noting that the boat captain is too powerful in the game. DrMike agrees to vote Lauren. Ben next goes to Ryan, who is very happy that it isn’t his name being written down. The Turtleneck knows that trying to recruit Chrissy will be a problem. Speaking of which, Ben sees Chrissy talking to Devon and tries to find out from her what the conversation was about. She shuts him down but he persists and takes her off into the jungle, and by jungle I mean the well-worn path around camp that is probably part of a Fijian hiking trail listed in the Lonely Planet guide. Once away from camp, Ben tells Chrissy about ALL of Lauren’s advantages and idols. He conveniently leaves out his own idol. She is smart enough to listen to him and talks to DrMike, but she is still pretty set on taking out Ben due to petty revenge. DrMike, on the other hand, wants to protect his own ass and decides a smart move is to go to Ashley and Devon to tell them about what Ben told Chrissy regarding the advantages and idol that Lauren possesses.

Survivor 35: one big game of Telephone.

So now Helloooo Devon run to Lauren to tell what Mike said. Lauren doesn’t want to have to use her extra vote or idol, so we see her give DrMike the shell half of her idol. DrMike is delighted that she made such a stupid move. Me? I’m confused about it. It seems that there must have been more of a conversation going on there but we get no hint of it either right then or later. It was a strange move and boy, oh boy, does it backfire.

Tribal council time. Probst is wearing a Valspar Tropical Hideaway shirt, for those keeping score at home. It should also be noted that the jury members, Desi, Cole, Silent Cal, and Joe are all wearing green. Cute. Anyway, Probst starts with Devon stepping down at immunity, to which Devon says he trusts his alliance. Ben claims to be concerned about going home tonight, while Ashley tells Probst that some people who could have been very safe tonight are not. Probst calls her out about being cryptic and she confesses she means Ben. This starts Ben and Lauren sniping at each other, with Ben playing the song of Survivor (“it’s a game”) and Lauren pooh-poohing him with a crack that the rest of them have a game for him. Lauren calls Ben paranoid, Ben clearly says he was gunning for her today, and she hopes he had a lot of ammunition. Oh, Lauren. Wrong thing to say. In the meantime, Chrissy can’t stand it when her nose isn’t poked into someone else’s business so she starts telling Lauren that she should give up her advantage, she should rip it up and give it to Probst. Lauren says the advantage is back at camp so she cannot use it tonight no matter what. She has to have it there in order to use it. Ryan pipes up to ask if she means the idol and she says no, not that. This brings Probst to talk about the idol, claiming he is “confused” about it. DrMike brings out the shell and says this is part of it, which Lauren confirms. She also calls out Ben for making the fake idol to take out Chrissy. Ben claims he took the fake idol out of play because he didn’t want it to be a personal attack on Chrissy, which HAHAHAHAHA! He does have it on him and puts it around his neck to admire his own handiwork. DrMike holds up the shell and tells Jeff, “Well this is the real idol and I’ve wanted to do this for fifteen years. It will never be played.” He gets up and TOSSES IT INTO THE FIRE! What the hell just happened??? The jury loves it, though. They are wriggling with glee.

Probst can’t believe Mike just did that but DrMike says the idols and advantages are a curse. True, but Ryan the Turtleneck, who really does have a lot of Survivor smarts, says the real curse is other people knowing you have an advantage. Ben piles on and says that people at home are saying don’t tell everyone when you have an idol. Ben, you’re a jerk (tm Chrissy) and you annoy me to no end, but you are correct. Revealing your advantages and idols to others is shortsighted. Chickens always come home to roost on Survivor and that is exactly what happens tonight. But first, chaos erupts. Lauren says she will give someone else her extra vote (DrMike volunteers to take it, which is priceless). Ben says we should just vote out Lauren and all her advantages. Devon tells Ben that Lauren isn’t as dangerous as Ben is by going around telling everyone’s secrets. Meanwhile, Ryan and Mike have a side conversation, with Ryan wanting to keep the vote on Lauren. The two of them whisper while the rest of the tribe talks over each other. Probst just watches silently. Finally there is a pause and Probst starts the questions again, but these people are out of control. Ryan and Mike whisper again, Devon gets up and comes over to talk to Mike about getting rid of Ben, Mike talks to Chrissy about voting out Ben but she doesn’t want to do that. Ryan wants to vote Lauren again. There is a ton of crosstalk and Ben comes out and says he is writing Lauren’s name down. And with that, the saltiest tribal council ever is ready to vote.

Time to tally the votes. But first, if anyone has an ACTUAL hidden immunity idol they would like to play…

Why yes, Jeff. Ben stands up and hands Probst his Super Secret Hidden Immunity Idol. And that is how it’s done, kids. The jury’s faces are interesting when Ben does this: Joe looks gleeful at the action, but the rest of them don’t see too happy. Perhaps Ben is not as much of a slam dunk to win at they think he is. Anyway, now it really is time to tally the votes: Ben. Does not count. Ben. Does not count. Ben. Does not count. Ben. Does not count. Ben. Does not count. Lauren. That one is enough to eliminate Lauren from the game.

Ben’s vote was the only one that counted. He tells her good game on her way out. Salty!

Wait, did Survivor just NOT spoil something for us by not airing the footage of Ben finding an actual immunity idol?  First Probst gets a hug from a family member and then editing resisted the urge to reveal the idol discovery.  Wow, really didn't think they had it in them. 

Speaking of firsts, I have admittedly missed several of the recent seasons, but has there ever been a caucus during tribal council?  Because that was awesome.  Unless someone can draw it out on a whiteboard for me (SLOWOLD!), we really have no actual alliances remaining, right?

Dr. Mike should get Lauren's extra vote, considering she bequeathed it to him prior to being voted out, no?

1 hour ago, Tsylyst said:

He found it a couple episodes ago on one of his trips down from the mountain. We saw it.

Well, I'm going to need one of those charts like they have in the upper corner of figure skating to track who has what advantage.....because I'm clearly the epitome of SLOWOLD when it comes to Survivor!   Thanks for the background.

Magpie   
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, copssister said:

Dr. Mike should get Lauren's extra vote, considering she bequeathed it to him prior to being voted out, no?

I don't think so. Lauren put the advantage into play a couple of weeks ago when she put the slip of paper into the urn instead of voting. Doing so meant she didn't vote that night, and reserved her now "extra" vote to use later. I don't recall anything in there about that extra vote being transferable, and she had nothing left to leave back at camp or hand over to Mike. She'd already put the piece of paper into play.