FistyHT

Upgrade Tour, Tips & Tricks

FistyHT   

Welcome to the new HT. Things are all spiffy and you have a bunch of new options to play with. Before you go poking at all the new buttons, here are some of the basics:

Responsive Design

fullsite_both.png

The first think you might notice that the site looks different or responds as you change the width of your browser window. This is called responsive design, and it means that the website is built to sort of collapse for narrow windows such as those on a cell phone or tablet. As you view the site in a more narrow format either in your desktop browser or on a mobile device, the sidebar will disappear and the User Controls will hide under a smaller menu at the top of the screen. Tap the three horizontal lines to bring up links to your user info and notifications.

mobile_user.png

Pretty much everything else works the way it is described for below for reading and posting, regardless of the width of your viewing window.

Your User Controls

usercontrols.png

In the top right corner of HT, you will find some menus that give you access to your account info, messages, alerts and more.

Click your name to access a menu where you can access your profile, account settings, and sign out.

user_controls_menu.png

Your Account Settings and Display Name

The new version of the board's software does not allow for different usernames and display names. If you were using a name to login to HT that is different that the name that showed up when you posted, you will need to update your "display name" to whatever you want to be seen as on the board. This will be the name you now login with as well. Go to your Account Settings under the user menu shown above. Click "Display Name" in the menu on the left.

displayname.png

You can change your Display Name once every 10 days. If you need to change it more frequently for some reason, message an admin and they can do that for you if you have a good reason.

Forums

new_posts.png

The circular icons to the left of each Forum on the main page will show you if there are new posts in that forum. They are orange if there are new posts and gray if there are not. To mark a forum read without reading the threads, you can simply click the icon and it will change from orange to gray.

Threads

thread_icons.png

The title of Threads with new posts since your last visit will appear in bold. There are several icons in the Threads to note. 

On the left, an orange dot means there are new posts in a thread you have NOT posted in. An orange star indicates there are new posts in a thread you HAVE posted in. Click the dot or star to go to the first unread post in that thread.

An orange circle with white star indicates that is a thread that has been "featured" by the HT Staff. You will probably find the major threads from each forum "featured" so they are easy to find. An orange circle with a push-pin means that thread is pinned to the top of the forum. 

A thread with a padlock is locked and has been made read-only.

Posts, Replies and Quotes

posts_main.png

To reply to a thread, go to the bottom of the thread and type your post in the window next to your profile picture.

To quote a SINGLE post within a thread, click "quote" on that post. You will be taken to a posting window and the quote will pop into the post editor.

multiquote.png

To quote SINGLE OR MULTIPLE posts across the forums, click the + sign on each post. A "MultiQuote" bubble will pop up on your screen.

multiquote_bubble.png

Navigate to the thread you wish to post in and click "Quote X posts" in that orange bubble. You will be taken to a posting window and the quotes will pop into the post editor.

multiquote_post.png

When you are ready to post, click "Submit Reply."

Once you have posted content, you can make changes by clicking "Edit" at the bottom of your post.

Browser Notifications

If you have given HT permission to send notifications to your desktop, you will see popups on your screen when various actions are taken by other posters, such as when someone quotes your post or replies to you.

new_notification.png

To change your settings at any time, click the circled "i" next to HT's web address in your browser window and change the permissions to your preference.

notifications_permissions.png

Board Notifications

Notifications will also be sent to the bell-shaped icon in your User Control area at the top right of HT. Those notification preferences can be changed in your account settings here. That is also where you control what you want to be emailed to you.

Directions on how to change your avatar (now called a "profile picture") and tagline can be found in the Site & Show FAQ.

So now you are ready to get started. Please use the Test Thread to try out posting features. Ask in this thread if you have questions on how to use any of the new areas of HT, or post tips and tricks as you discover them. Have fun exploring! And remember: If you break it, you buy it cornnuts.

Tsylyst   

If you want to tag someone in a post, it works like you would use on Facebook or Twitter. Type @ and as you type their screenname, select it from the list that appears. They will be notified that you tagged them in the post.

It shows up like:

@FistyHT

Tsylyst   

Welcome back, everybody!

ff174, I'm sure you'll want to take special note of the change to user/display names.

I didn't see a place for me to post in the Test Thread, as I can obviously post here. Love the bright colors on the new site and I'm sure if I take the time to read the instructions I can figure out most things. I'm sure it was a ton of work, so thanks to everyone for doing that!

Tsylyst   

You should be able to post in that thread now. I am still working out some bugs with permissions in the different forums.

ETA: That posting issue should now be fixed for all appropriate forums. If anyone finds posting restrictions anywhere that you think you should be able to post replies, please report it and we'll get that sorted out.

ff174   
On 6/3/2017 at 8:01 PM, Tsylyst said:

Welcome back, everybody!

ff174, I'm sure you'll want to take special note of the change to user/display names.

Thanks, Tsy.

I'm so used to that other moniker that I didn't even notice.

Fixed.

tlh9   

At first, without my glasses, I thought that photo of the HT coffee mug on the home page was a roll of TP.  

I thought, "Hey!  Cool!  HT TP!"  Then realized it was a coffee mug when I found my glasses.  I was almost disappointed. 

tlh9   

Haha!  Awesome!!  That will be perfect for my summer watching of BB with dinner.

(and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that!)

ETA:  omg!  I just noticed the party hats!  too cool.  I love party hats... they make me laugh, but then I'm fairly easily amused.

Edited by tlh9

Tsylyst   
3 hours ago, AVorlon said:

Sorry, but I don't see any working links there at the bottom . Maybe you  can just tell us?

I was used to spoilers being blacked-out on TWoP, but not so much here. 

For the record, our spoiler tag does still work after the upgrade. It looks like this:

Spoiler info

Use this code:

[spoiler]Spoiler info[/spoiler]