Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Zeke Smith - Maku Maku - Voted out 11th

MrsGryn   

All the trappings of hipster-ism on Millennials vs. Generation X (33).

28947449732_27b0233f83.jpg

From his CBS.com bio:

Current residence: Brooklyn, NY

Three words to describe you: Sharp, devilish, and unstoppable.

Hobbies: Writing, improv, gym, and cooking.

Pet peeves: Sniffling. Chewing with one's mouth open. Black shoes with brown belts. Children who don't listen to their mothers.

What does it mean to be a Millennial?
To be perfectly honest, I've never thought of myself as a Millennial. Ask one of the other children.

Personal claim to fame:
Being ranked one of the Top 16 high-school debaters in the country my senior year of high school. I got a plaque. It's been downhill ever since.

Inspiration in life:
Joan Rivers. She told Helen Keller jokes into her eighties. The woman lived.

If you could have three things on the island, what would they be and why?
1. Hairspray: ostensibly for applications in fire making, but actually to keep my hair high and tight.
2. Coffee: to calm the nerves and awaken the senses, so to be on alert for plots against me. Coffee treatments also bring out my hair's natural shimmer.
3. Industrial-sized vat of peanut butter: who wouldn't bring a high-protein, high-fat, delicious treat to a starvation marathon? And, lest we forget, peanut butter is a magnificent deep conditioner.

Survivor contestant you're most like:
Tony Vlachos (Cagayan). I mean, I'm not personally like a cop from New Jersey. I would never live in New Jersey, are you kidding me? Excuse me? New Jersey? Where Tony and I intersect is our unbridled passion for Survivor. I came to lie, manipulate, and make big moves, which, on Day 39, will leave no one doubting that I played the superior game. Seriously, New Jersey?

Reason for being on Survivor:
I love Survivor! I've dreamed of starving on desert beaches and running around in my unwashed underwear for years! It's long been my desire for Jeff Probst to reward my mastery of lying and manipulation with $1 million dollars.

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
I'm tough as nails. Try and tear me down. Furthermore, people fascinate me. I can get along with anyone because I tend to be more curious than judgmental of an individual's quirks than judgmental. I'm surprisingly adept in the out-of-doors and have been killing myself in the gym for the past six months, so I shouldn't drag ass in challenges. Hopefully, all those hours... okay, days.... fine, years spent watching Survivor and listening to Survivor podcasts will yield at least some aptitude at the game.

MrsGryn   

Zeke's updated bio for Survivor 34. Didn't we just get rid of this guy?

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Previously played on: Season 33: Millennials Vs. Gen X, Finished 9th & Jury Member

How have you changed since the last time you played?
Since I just played, I don’t think I’ve changed at all. I’m still digging sand out of my tush. I keep leaving the apartment barefoot. I’ve taken to sleeping on my neighbor's floor so there’s someone to wake me during my night terrors. They know it’s time to shake me awake when I start screaming, “Dave found another Idol!”

What skills do you bring to Survivor that will make you a useful member of the group and what skills have you been learning since you last played?
New skills? Well, I went to a friend’s party in workout clothes. I brought my own salad, which I ate in a corner and refused to speak to anyone. So, yeah, I can do that now.

What are you most proud of from the last time?
I’m not quite sure. It’s really all a blur. I remember something about forcing rocks to save myself. What, if anything, do you most regret? Nothing. Everything. Nothing. Everything. Chris.

How will you play differently this time?
Frankly, I don’t exactly know what I did right or wrong last time but, I think I played too flashy. This go ’round, I’m going to play more subtly, because I’m a very subtle person.

Take one look at me and you think, “This guy knows subtle. No part of his mustache or patterned shirts or style of speaking says, ‘pay attention to me!’”

angelmi   

Liked him last time because he was from OK and fanned out over the OU football player, I was in shock tonight. Thought he handled it well.

I remember seeing some speculation that Zeke was trans but I never really thought anything about it. He deserved a lot better than he got tonight but he definitely took it better than most. I'm kind of hoping he makes it far.

Zelda has so much more class than I ever would have imagined any reality show player having. How he could be so kind to Varner after that was impressive. Unfortunately, he's now going to have to find a way to keep the others from thinking of him as "the most deserving ever". Because, really, if he makes it to the end, he's got quite a story to tell of how he not only had to play the game. He had to fight perceptions.

Still doesn't explain his penchant for ugly shirts.

My DVR totally ate this episode last night, it was recording when I got home, but completley gone when I tried to play it back a bit later. The Elvis Duran show gave this away this morning, so I was already spoiled before I saw other things all over the internet. I'm going to have to wantch it on Demand later or on the CBS site. I read http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-zeke-smith-outed-as-transgender-guest-column-991514?platform=hootsuite at another site and he's taking it much better than Varner deserves.

Thanks for the link, nixiechick. He’s such an amazingly generously gracious dude. Full stop.

Also, it looks like all involved recognized the perceptual minefield and consulted GLAAD (link from RealityBlurred.com):

“GLAAD’s Transgender Media Program worked with Zeke Smith and CBS for several months to ensure that when the episode aired Zeke would have the opportunity to speak for himself about his experience.”

Edited by ShyLurkerGuy

chrysana   

I hope that's true and that Zeke was part of the decision making process to have the information shared on national television.

Part of me questions if the producers and camera folks knew where Jeff was headed? As Probst stated at tribal - you can't undo this, and outing Zeke as transgender is a lot larger than Fairplay lying about his dead grandma. I know interference brings into question the integrety of the game; but....

uaintjak   

Zeke handled the situation like a real man. Or a real lady. Or a real lady man. Good for you, Zeke. Hands down this was the biggest blindside at Tribal, and Zeke was absolutely amazing.

But Zeke wasn't one of my Survivor boyfriends, so I don't want him to win.

Varner is now whining that Zeke is no longer being charitable to him as he was then. If that's true, Zeke has every right. It's easy to be charitable when your secrets are revealed to a half dozen people. Dealing with the aftershock when millions find out is a whole different thing.