Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

Big Brother Canada 5

AVorlon   

That show is not on the air where I live, but I do enjoy seeing the clips from it. I can't speak for everyone, but you can't recap something very well without watching it on a regular basis.

Edited by AVorlon

Tsylyst   

Anyone watching BBCAN is welcome to recap the feeds/show in this thread. Might help clear the taste of BBOTT out of our mouths.

gforce   

I am loving BBC this season and I am missing reading recaps of the drama in a BB house. After seasons of watching BB and reading recaps here...I know how editing can change my view of a participant and the drama in the house. I'm very curious about what I'm missing not having that information.

I don't know why they're calling this week a backwards week...to me it's more a "week without an HOH". I like the concept, just curious about the name.

It can only be backward to a point, of course, but the gist is that the HGs voted who they wanted out at the first, the POV is in the middle (that's same both ways) and the HOH wins at the end. Also backward is that normally the HOH has no power after nominations and the rest make the decision, while this week the rest lose any decision making after the first night, while the HOH ultimately will have all the power to evict. The HOH will have all the power - but of course all the blood will be on their hands.

At least that's how I think it's playing out re: HOH.

I might see if I can do some show recaps and maybe scourge up some videos that are not geo-locked.

Also backwards: the Slop Vote (backwards reward?) Have/Have-not challenge where HGs voted who to put on slop by putting Slop cookies into ballot boxes for each HG.

Twist 1: narratively for reasons of transparency and recent allegations of voter fraud, the gathered HGs watched video of how the others voted complete with audio (which I’m sure production Skippies encouraged them to ham up).

Twist 2, the backwards part: after the drama-filled reveal of the cookie counts, it turns out that those ending with the least cookies became Have-nots.

In celebration, returning HG Glitter Gary, (at least… I don’t think gforce glitters) this week's house target nominee and got 48 Slop cookies, decided to cook up a full feast to spite the surprised Have-nots.

I really wish more of Hamstertime knew the big BBCAN characters like Glitter Gary (S1, don’t even call him a Marcellas clone), Ika (S2,

), and Cassandra (S4, evicted from S5 too soon). In real life, I’d stay far far away from people like Ika and Cassandra, but they’re great for BB drama. The other returnees are a bit more conventional personalities, which is probably why they work well together. Too many of the newbies are naively honest and mostly have no poker faces.

That last HoH comp set and outfits was on point, but no clips or photos yet on social media.

Here’s an interesting take on the differences between BBCAN and BBCBS: https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/03/confessional-bbcan-better-than-bbus/ My take-away, especially after learning that both productions hire the same casting company and personnel, it that CBS execs and/or Grodner’s casting priorities (and assumptions about their target audience) is a major factor in BBCBS's format stagnation with repetitive seasons of mostly forgettable characters beyond the obnoxious ones.

Edited by ShyLurkerGuy

It doesn’t matter which side of the U.S./Canada border: there will always be “high-integrity” hammies who turn out to be the pettiest hypocritical crybaby parannoying players, and the ones getting on my last nerve are this season are newbies Dre, William, Dillon, Emily… actually, the newbie who annoys me the least would be Karen because she doesn’t give a… damn about perception and hasn’t since day 1. With the exception of Karen, most of them commiserate with lots of “wah wah wah integrity wah wah wah loyalty wah wah wah honesty wah wah wah we’re the only not-fake people in the house” UGH!

Seriously, HoH newbie William is pissed that he couldn’t get returnee Kevin to use the PoV because William wanted put up returnee (and Kevin ally) Bruno BUT was telling Kevin that his supposed target was newbie Jackie. Ummm… you’re pissed that the person you deceived turned around and deceived you about using/not-using the PoV? Hypocrisy much?

ETA: OMG OMG OMG wow wow wow

Emily got evicted. Whatevs.

Surprise double eviction became battle of the returnee bitches Ika vs Neda:

HoH: returnee Sindy (“The Six” alliance) noms newbies Jackie and Dillon; PoV: Jackie

returnee Ika (“The Six” alliance) whispers to Sindy to substitute returnee Neda (“The Six” alliance, previously eviction-immune) which provokes tears with an “s” from Sindy

both Ika and Neda gang up on Sindy in the pantry and spew vitriol back and forth in the company of a mix of “The Six” and non-“The-Six"

While Ika is the obvious bitch-to-your-face, Neda without Jon has shown herself to be a catty cutting holier-than-thou bitch behind your back.

After several prompts from host Arisa, near-catatonic Sindy tearfully nom’d Neda to the un-muteable cheers of the studio audience.

By a vote of 7 to 1, Neda got evicted and becomes the first jury member, and my inner w00ter w00ted, not out of any like of Ika (I’d stay away from her in real life) but because of chaos and scrambling and drama sure to ensue.

I honestly liked Neda her season, but her showmance with Jon must have softened a lot of her sharper edges. When she got immunity-until-jury by viewer vote, she DR’d she wanted to prove worthy of being Canada’s choice. However, that manifested in full my-crap-don’t-stink ice queen mean girl behind-your-back cattiness to people both outside and in her alliance sprinkled with off-hand put-downs to anyone in blast radius.

Did Sindy feel pressure from Ika to put Neda up? Yes. Is Ika a bitch with a fills-the-room personality? Yes. BUT I think Sindy caved because there was truth to Ika’s “You know Neda treats you like shit!” main argument.

I’d feel more disappointment if Neda was the person I thought she was during her season, but the person she revealed herself to be just rubbed me the wrong way. Not Varner-level, but enough that I cheered her eviction.

Edited by ShyLurkerGuy

gforce   

Neda was a complete eye-rolling bitch this season. I'm not surprised that the audience was cheering so loudly for her...eviction.

This season is really interesting. It's well into the season, and I couldn't even hazard a guess who is likely to win at this point. Almost everyone is playing hard in their own way, and perhaps other than Karen just about everyone could make an argument that they should win.

So we’re down to F4 and finale week: returnees Ika and Kevin, newbies Demetres and Karen (yes, wildcard older mom Karen!)

What I don’t understand is the hate on Kevin (except for William who’s got legit grievances) and rallying around Ika in the past several weeks. How is Kevin’s hypocrisy worse than all of Ika’s machinations? What perceptual filter am I not seeing through? Ika doesn’t just seem to just be strategically throwing shade on Kevin, but she seems to believe her own campaign spiel.

As I said a few weeks ago, it does not sit well with me that the houseguests who claim honesty and integrity yet stoop to the same levels of betrayal that they call out and criticize in those who are less apologetic about playing the game. And those are the people bought Ika’s campaigning to their detriment and eviction into jury. And I suspect they’d still throw votes to Ika no matter what.

On a side note, while I have misgivings with Kevin playing flirtatious bi-curiosity with Gary and William (going as far as pecks on the mouth with William), I must admit that were I put in the same position with Kevin specifically, I would have fallen for it and enjoyed the attention in the moment. I doubt we’d ever see any straight guy cast by Grodner/CBS would ever take it as far with a gay male houseguest as Kevin did.

bobane   

I'm glad you brought all this up. I'm at a loss to see Keving any different than the others. When Karen attacked him a couple of week's back, I couldn't quite grasp what he had done to make her do that. Karen's move this week to pratically give the win to Demetres still makes me give my head a shake.

I don't like Ika, didn't like her before and don't like her this season. Pot calling.. Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Right now I don't care who wins. Kevin should have got one of the couple out two weeks ago. Demetres while a beast in competition just listened to Ika for the game moves. Ika couldn't win when she needed to. And Karen, well her voting to save Ika, just harmed her game. Stupid is she.

Indeed, bobane, stupid is she.

Karen revealed that he’s had a vengeful distrust for Kevin (and Bruno) because they reneged on their week 1 agreement when she was HoH? Something she has no compunction against doing herself while rationalizing her own honesty and integrity. That one initial slight weighed against all of Ika’s self-justified cruel machinations in the intervening weeks?!?!? Ika, who has on at least one occasion (if not more) callously made her cry to her face?!?!? WTF?!?!? SMH!!!

Should Karen somehow make F2, she’s got the largest case to make to giving her the win. She’s as much admitted that she’s resigned to not winning and that the stated goal of her remaining time is to see Kevin evicted… not that she’s in any real position to do anything to contribute to that effort since voting out Dillon. Anyone vs Karen in F2 would win.

If Kevin makes F2, he’s got the best against-all-odds-and-hostile-houseguests case. It’s why Ika and Demetres are gunning for him (Karen notwithstanding) which is quite ironic considering all of Ika’s screaming tirade that he should admit he’s scared of the others.

From my armchair, Demetres has a better case to make over Ika. While they’ve carried each other this far, he’s been the more effective of the two in keeping them in the house with his comp wins. While I’d love to, I can’t totally justify calling him Duh-Meathead.

Ika is an egotistical narcissistic hot mess whose admittedly effective social game (she softened the resolve of the loose newbie alliance to get her evicted) was only given legs due to Demetres’ comp wins. She has absolutely no resilience in terms of soothing her bruised ego without telegraphing to the house who she perceives guilty of the bruise and her perceived reason why. She’s asked her allies, especially Demetres, to validate her perceptions people crossing some line with her but has never validated— and in many cases, actively invalidated— theirs when she crosses theirs. BUT somehow all those “honest high-integrity” newbie allies all fell in line behind her, as I’ve said, to their detriment. While I was happy to see Neda get voted out, she was right to call Ika poison moreso than herself (Neda).

At this point, my first choice for winner is Kevin, then Demetres, then grudgingly Ika. ALTHOUGH I would love watching the meltdown drama of an Ika-Karen F2 with the HGs giving it to wholly undeserving Karen.

bobane   

I agree with your summation. If Karen gets to the finals and wins, it would be DOOG Tv. I love seeing plans fail, when I don't care who wins.

After seeing the jury house segment last night, I don't see Kevin winning should he make F2, EVEN against Karen whose 60sec "Why I should win" video seemed to have a compelling effect on the jury. They all seemed underwhelmed with Kevin's video, even the returning veterans.

For all of his interactions with the other houseguest, Kevin's focus was on staying in the house, not learning enough about any of these people's perspectives to understand how they may vote against him. He's wrongly assumimg that they'll see his accomplishments the way he sees them.

I also think Kevin's choice to vote Ika out actually reduced any chance he had mount a convincing case during the F2 grilling should he make it that far.

Ironically, it might actually be to Karen's advantage to let her nemesis Kevin bring her to F2. If she won final HoH, she may have a chance to win taking Demetres.

T minus 1.25hrs…

chrysana   

I think Kevin would win against Karen...or maybe I just hope. We saw an edited version of the jury's reaction. I'm hopeful that was the reason for them thinking Karen had some game and being underwhelmed by Kevin.