Tsylyst

BB17 House Analysis and General Discussion

Shannon   

I think James got it because of his little daughter. He did bring her up, but unlike some others before, he didn't beat it into the ground like he had anything coming. Most parents do dream of money to help their child. Plus while JM was weirdly funny, he was also just pretty damn weird.

I thought Vanessa looked stunned for a bit, truly stunned, which is kind of dumb because no one in their right mind would have taken her tot he end.

I thought that Liz truly showed she was playing for second and thought she was lucky to get it, so that seemed like an honest reaction from her. She really was happy with 50,000. Now she'll have to pry off Asstin to keep it. Seeing Asstin shocked or pissed off is worth having to watch his ugly bozo ass all season. And I loved the Judas put down, he had no where to go with that question.

This season... I'm still on the bubble. On one hand, I was happy with the finale and the last few weeks were up in the air. Most of the cast were fun or snarkable.

That said, problems were there. I can see why they kept BOTB (and I was glad they didn't stretch it all season again) but it doesn't change that it robs the first couple of weeks of that extra oomph. On the subject of comps, they need to hire some new people. Too many of this years were the exact same comp as last and in nearly the same order.

All said, this is one of my favorite seasons and, outside of Jace, Liz, and Austin, I wouldn't mind seeing any of the HGs in an All-Star season. I cannot say that about the last two or three years.

Did you see the way Austin was shaking his head to the camera when Julie called out for potential players for next season? The bitterness was palpable.

I'll have to look for Austin's expression when he found out he wasn't even in the top 3 (Jason? Really?). What I did notice was that Meg, who may have gotten even more annoying during her time in jury, latched onto Clay the second he walked up there. It was a bit embarassing, which means it was funny to me.

ahab1013   

I had an epiphany last night during the final HoH. For pretty much the last third of the season or so I was pretty much firmly in the Vanessa should win camp. And for what it's worth I still think she played the best game by far. However, during the final HoH I kept finding myself rooting for Steve. As I reflect upon it, I think it's because I knew if Vanessa won she was going to take Liz, and although that's what Steve did ultimately (and smartly), for some reason I guess I felt that Steve deserved at least something. Vanessa finished third, but she walked out with everyone knowing she played the best game, and she's up there with some of the best, in fact she is tops in the group of best players never to win the game (with Danielle and Janelle).

Overall I thought the season was good, but could have been great. The house was definitely split (which makes a season good) but there wasn't a lot of bitterness between the two sides. Perhaps because the one side pretty much dominated most of the way, the conflict didn't seem to move the needle, for me at least.

Most of the house was generally likeable, certainly not loveable, but I thought the general douche count lower than some seasons.

I think what makes this not a great season is that there was really only one great player- Vanessa, and not a lot of good players behind her.

Vanessa is clearly an AllStar type player and James is close.

The last two seasons have been pretty mild, good but mild, and I wonder if that is because of Season 15 and all the drama that developed. They want drama, but not THAT level of drama.

Regarding James as America's Favorite.....while I like him a lot and he'll remain one of my favorite hammies......I couldn't bring myself to vote him the $25,000 prize. He's just over 30 years old and has filed bankruptcy twice and been evicted multiple times. Funny guy, but clearly challenged when it comes to finances. I have little faith that his precious little girl will see any of those funds unless someone intervenes and convinces him to set up a trust for her.

After James won, I couldn't help but think about all the time the CBS voting system was down. It started right after I started power voting for Johnny Mac.

Shannon   

I could not vote for 3 entire days, that's 60 votes not counted, and by how many people who could also not vote during that time period? That's a whole lot of uncounted votes. Then add to that, all those who gave up and never went back to vote once it was fixed. That's something that will always make this year's AP iffy.

WHO?ME   

Anyone in James position should never be sitting up a trust for their child. Yes, if they won the game and $500,000, not with $25,000, that money is James to spend and hopefully in a way that it helps him to become more stable, person, and father. I still don't see how he beat out John but he did.

I don't know if the members of the jury gets vented on how they are being perceived to the public or not. Going by Austin's reaction as he walked out on stage, I don't think they are. Everyone was getting fairly good cheers, till Julia walked out and it was about half of what everyone else got. Then Austin walks out and the noise fades away to next to nothing. The look on Austin's face was.....whaaaaatttttttts going on and you could see it hit him right then and there what people must think of him.

While I'm not a Steve fan and I usually pull for the nerds, I was glad he beat Vanassa and booted her. But I would have been OK with Vanessa winning, because hands down she played the best game. Vanassa's vote for Liz was purely bitter, if you play the game as hard as Vanassa, your vote should go to the remaining best game player, even if they kicked you out. I say that and I honestly wouldn't have been upset if the mean girl had won....that's how much I can't like the guy. Not that I wanted her to get $500,000 but Steve is spineless and unlikable. Even more so that Liz and that's hard to say.

angelmi   

After hearing Austin brag that he was the most famous person on BB17 and he or Liz would get AFP, his face last night when he did not win anything was so funny. Just like Frankie last year.

siandam   

The mark of a great player is getting to the end and winning. If Vanessa was really the great player that people seem to think she was, then she would have won the final HOH or if she lost, she would have been brought to the final HOH. i.e. Derrick.

She had a hand in so many evictions but everyone knew that she was behind them. She didn't own her play to the audience or to the other hamsters, in my opinion.

Steve didn't have a choice. He knew she was a powerful player and that she most likely would have won, if she got to the end. So he didn't let her get to the end.

The great players balance great play and great social interactions. Winning when needed and creating the relationships to be protected if that doesn't happen.

uaintjak   

To me, that's like saying only great players make it to the end, or only great players win. That isn't the case at all. Gina Marie was terrible. Jordan was mediocre at best. Cowboy was terrible. Ivette was mediocre. Porsche was useless. Etc.. There are many great players who didn't make it to the end, just like there are many shitty players who do. In Big Brother, a lot depends on luck (unless you're Obi-wan Kenobi, who, in his experience, believes there's no such thing as luck.)

Even great players can have bad luck. There was luck involved in all of "the greats" and their wins. Sometimes the luck just goes in the other direction.

Exactly. Players considered to be some of the best like Danielle Reyes still lost.

If not for some last minute strategy, Shelli could have been sitting at the end. Steve could have been evicted instead of Johnny Mac. Liz could have gone home instead of Julia (or lost BotB the week she was up with James). All of the final three were in positions where things could have radically gone different for them at least once.