Tsylyst

John McGuire – DR shouting taken to a new extreme

I'm carrying a tiny ray of hope for some changes to the casting process after Moonves indicated his "disappointment" with 5-6 hammies, instead of the 1-2 they plan on each season. The recruits that are there to famewhore it up and perform to the cameras constantly overshadow the few who're there to play the game. Getting back to basics, including PB&J, booze, and generally terrorizing them more often then not would probably help, too.

angelmi   

Since John never had HOH Jeff gave him a robe. His speech was about his video games, he hated the glitter from Frankie.

MrsGryn   

if they put any combination of 16 Johnny Mac's, Donny's, Elissa's, Zach's and Enzo's, I would officially tender my resignation as a recapper.

Denied.

I would like JM back just for that awkwardly dorky laugh.

Tsylyst   

You know that way the top part of your body contracts and the bottom part of your body loosens when you hear, like, nails on a chalkboard?

That's what his "HUHuhuheeuhuh" does to me.

Here's the thing - I'm not sure JMac would say yes to a second shot. I've felt like he's been so over it for a long time and the boy looked exhausted there at the end. Major bags under his eyes. I'm betting he can't wait to get back to his real life.

ff174   

From Jeff's interview with Johnny Mac.

The Johnny Mac we saw during his Diary Room interviews was very different from how he acted inside the Big Brother house. When asked about this, J-Mac revealed that he chose to stay under the radar mostly because he didn't want to socialize with the Houseguests who were sending his friends home.

"I was quiet in the house because I was angry at the people who were sending my friends home," he explained. "I'm not gonna hang out with people I don't like."

And this is why I just can't with Johnny Mac. After his friends were voted out, instead of trying to win the game, he curled up into a fetal ball and moped. He had his itty bitty feefees hurt. That is just so pathetic.

Everybody! Meet Donnie 2.0!

Good god. Even Steve wants to win the game. I rescind my earlier statement about Steve potentially being the worst winner of all time. That honor goes to Johnny Mac.

And just who are these "friends?" The only person he talked to was Becky.

Edited by ff174

Tsylyst   

I seem to remember him saying something similar during his first eviction interview with Julie, and I had pretty much the same question about his friends. He didn't really seem to attach himself to anyone except Becky (and I always thought that was more of a crush). He and Steve sort of linked up at different points, but I think that was just more because Steve was going to John awkwardly seeking an alliance than John was seeking out Steve as a "friend." He seemed to have the same exact relationship with everyone in the house: He'd make small talk with them if they were in a room where it was comfortable for him to lay down for a little while.

Sure, he won some comps when he needed to stay safe and he threw some comps when he needed to play ball with the power alliance...but he never really seemed to me like he was interested in being a part of the game. More like he wanted the vacation, stipend and exposure that staying in the house had to offer. Even his loud DRs weren't all that often about playing the game. They were more about a class clown commenting on the house. His speeches at Veto and Evictions were always like, "eh, I guess it would be cool to stay or whatever." That part was an affectation, to be sure. But it was one designed to get laughs from us at home. (Not that those speeches are ever worth much, so I guess I give him credit for finding a way to make use of the camera time.)

With the DRs and the goofy speeches, it seemed like he spent the entire summer playing for the America's Favorite Player prize instead of 1st or 2nd place. Maybe thought that was the best he could do; he was certain he could lock up that $25,000 and he knew the odds were against him to get the $500,000. He put on the "show" when he knew the camera was only on him and it wouldn't be edited out, much like how the others put on makeup and run a brush through their hair for DR and ceremonies.

I've been reminded for a while now of how Caleb spent all last summer trying to build his "brand" as the Beast Mode Youknowwhat when he knew the cameras would be on him. Maybe John was trying to drum up business for his dentist office or maybe he's hoping for something more after the show now that he made his "Johnny Mac" character the breakout star of BB17. If that was his goal, he certainly succeeded -- I'll remember the term "Johnny Mac" for years to come.

As a houseguest, I don't hate John. He amused me more than most this season. But I don't think his motives were ever to play or maybe even win the GAME. But we know there's more than one way to "win" Big Brother, and John might have found the other way, which is to be remembered and spin that into future earnings.

I fully expect his vote on finale night to include a throwaway comment along the lines of "I dunno uhHUHuheehuhuh you both kinda like evicted me or whatever so uhHUHhhheeeuh I flipped a coin last night. huhuhuhhee." And then he wipes the slobber from his "giggling" off his chin and slouch-bounces back to his chair.

Edited by Tsylyst
To clarify a couple thoughts.

Shannon   

For me JM was annoying but sometimes funny, the thing was, that at a time when the game bogs down, he gave it a bit of excitement. I don't know that I want to see him again.

chrysana   

I don't think it's necessarily "moping" that JM avoided social time with the HGs. He said he didn't like them so why hang out with people you don't like? I get that. Not exactly a good game strategy; but, more of a real life behaviour. In the house it's really hard to get through the game without building relationships - it's not real life. However, in the real world I'm like JM - if I don't like you, I'm not going to socialize with you.

I don't know why JM went on the show. He was a fan, I believe, so maybe he thought he'd enjoy it. I'm a fan; but, self-aware enough to realize I'd have no chance of making the end and most likely DOR in the first week. He has massive student debt, so three months "work" to pay it off would have been tempting. Add to that, he likely thought he'd boost his client list - which is also important when just opening a practice.

He was a fan......just watched his interview with Jeff and when asked about Vanessa's crying, he said "that was the worst - like the worst since Amber in Season 8".

According to salary.com, a dentist in the bottom 10% in Scranton, PA makes $113,821 per year, which is almost $2200 per week. If he stayed home, he would have made $35,000-$40,000 for the time he's spent in sequester and in the house. (It would have been a lot more if his practice ranks him above the bottom 10%.)

I don't think he did it for the money.

Edited by Lorelai28

Tsylyst   

If he wins America's Player, he'll leave BB with at least that much money (thanks to the jury stipend, which is somewhere around $10,000) PLUS the exposure that comes with being on one of the top-rated shows of the summer on the top-rated network in the country.

That exposure translates to even more money when you think of the business it will bring into his practice, plus appearance fees (yes, even BB "stars" get small appearance fees to show up at bars, walk red carpets, comment on the show for websites, promote brands on Twitter, etc.) and whatever else he might make if he decides to sell Johnny Mac merchandise after the show.

He has built his "brand," and that will benefit him financially, at least for the next few years.

So yeah, BB could still make him more money than what he would have made staying home.

ETA: He has said on the feeds that he barely makes any money at his practice because he's the low man on the totem pole, so he's definitely on the bottom of that range you mention.