Sign in to follow this  
Tsylyst

Survivor 31: Second Chances – General Discussion

Tsylyst   

Voting on the returning cast members for the fall's Second Chances season is underway until May 20: http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/second-chance/

Votes by fans (and fans alone) will be used to determine the cast, unlike the BB All-Stars season where CBS got to pick some of the players for the DOOG TV of it all. Rules on the voting site originally contradicted this because someone on the legal team inserted extra language, but CBS fixed them.

Tsylyst   

Here is the previous discussion on this season, brought over from the current season's thread:

I didn't recognize many of the past island guests that we're supposed to vote for next season. I also hated the fact I had to vote for no less than 10 people when I really only wanted to vote for 3-4.

Why did they include Carolyn and Mike from this season? Are they telling us they didn't win or including them to throw us off?

It doesn't help that some of the sites covering the news have also specifically listed the returning contestants as people who haven't won. Technically, at the time of the vote, that will be true of the two of them. That all said, it does make me very sick because my brain is just screaming that we'll see a Will/Dan/Roidney Final Three and that just makes me want to puke.

The CBS press release says "Eligible castaways include 32 former players, ranging from Season 1 to Season 30, who have never won the game and feel they deserve a second chance to compete for the $1 million prize and the title of Sole Survivor."

So, yes, the voting contains the major spoiler that Carolyn and Mike are NOT going to win this season. They might be in the Final Three, but they will NOT be the Sole Survivor. CBS would already know how those votes played out from the last Tribal even though they won't be revealed until the live show. If somehow there ends up being a Final Three of Carolyn, Mike and (insert name here), you know that other person is who is going to be winning the big money.

Press release: http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=42590

ETA: This link found by goobie has Jeff basically admitting that they spoiled the Mike and Carolyn thing without thinking about it: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/05/jeff-probst-survivor-fan-voted-second-chance-season-31

well, that's it. I am just going to kill myself now.

Well, if you want to be optimistic (or not, depending on who your faves are), you could argue that at the time of the voting, none of them are winners (yet). Also, wanting another chance at winning a million doesn't preclude already having won.

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws.

So, they have been doing this how long? That is a rookie mistake. Someone got canned over that.

Anyway, I remember about half of the men and about 6 of the women. One of those women, Abi, was absolutely horrible.

Now I remember Mikayla. She's the evil whore who tempted that Hantz head case with her mere presence. I liked her just for that reason.

ETA: Did they include a corpse? Because it looks like they dug up Theresa T Bird Cooper (whoever the eff that is).

ETAA: I just realized that "Hantz head case" is kind of redundant. It's the one who dumped out all the rice. I'm so fucking happy I forgot that whackjob's name.

My votes have mainly been focused around people I think will be entertaining. A few have went to people that I remember getting screwed over but mostly entertainment value. Because Abi was terrible, I've been voting for her. T-Bird had a fun AMA on Reddit a couple of years back so I've been voting her also.

Who the hell were most of those people? I only recognized Kass and the 2 women from this season and maybe 6 of the men. And what the hell, CBS? I shouldn't HAVE to vote for 10 in each category…. especially when the choices sucked so hard.

Since this talks about the voting for Survivor: Second Chances, I guess I'll put it here. The title of the article is "New accusations of Survivor Borneo cheating, threats, lies"

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/05/survivor-borneo-richard-hatch-dirk-been-cheating-mark-burnett/

That brings us to Survivor Second Chances, and Hatch offered his endorsements in a Facebook post after a discussion of characteristics he values.

As part of that, he wrote, “I would not be willing to vote for any player on this list I came to believe lacked integrity and honesty outside the game.” He ends up endorsing his runner-up and alliance mate, Kelly Wiglesworth, but a very backhanded way.

ff174   

Says the guy who spent time in the slam for tax evasion.

MrsGryn   

Yeah, his good opinion is not generally sought after.

So I voted (only doing it one time). Had to look up a few of these people to remind me who they were - and I have never missed an episode of Survivor! Anyway, here were my choices:

Women:

Carolyn - She is so physically fit, it's amazing, plus she has played a good game this season.

Tasha - I remember her as kind of a badass but was stuck with J'tia as an ally, not to mention the rest of the "genius" tribe.

Teresa - She threw a random vote to Lex, as she did not want to vote for her ally and it made Lex go absolutely paranoid bonkers. One of my favorite Survivor moments.

Kelly Wigglesworth - She never deserved the vitrol, as great as it was, that she got from Sue.

Peih-Gee - The China season sucked. Someone deserves a second chance.

Kass - I want to see her and Carolyn, two middle-aged female attorneys, circle each other before the destruction begins.

Monica Padilla - She hated Russell Hantz. That deserves a second chance.

Mikayla - Screwed because of Li'l Hantz' sexual obsession with her.

Sabrina - I vaguely remember her doing well, but on the other hand, she gave Colton an immunity idol, so....

Kimmi - BOOBS! (that was for ff174)

Men:

Terry - Screwed by what I recall was an unfair immunity challenge.

Woo - WOOWOO! Yeah, I need the cute.

Spencer - Turned out to be a really good player and should have won.

Joe - Golden Boy seems like a better version of Ozzy.

Mike - He has earned another chance after this season.

Max - Because I like calling him Professor Plantarwart.

Jeff Varner - Oh, so long ago in the Outback! As I recall, he had some good snarky lines.

Shane - He went nuts due to nicotine withdrawal. Let's hope he is still a smoker.

Stephen - Lost in the finale to J.T. during the Tokencheese season.

I've been voting everyday with some of my votes changing depending on the day or how I'm feeling.

Women

Kelley Wiggleworth - It just feels like this whole thing was made for her.

Teresa - She was really entertaining and I'm actually kinda surprised she hasn't come back before.

Peih-Gee - She has been really entertaining in a lot of her interviews recently and I feel like she will really bring something to the game.

Mikayla - Yeah, she got voted out because a shitbag Hantz wanted to fuck her.

Sabrina - Most of her game was dominated by playing with Kim. It might be interesting if she gets a chance to shine.

Ciera - She voted her own mom out and then forced drawing rocks. She's up for making risky moves.

Tasha - She got screwed by being in the Brains tribe

Kass - She's said repeatedly that she's not there to win, she's there to cause chaos. That alone promises some fun.

Shirin - I feel she'll play better her second time out.

Carolyn - If she doesn't win on Wednesday, I want to give her a second chance she was such a strong player this time.

(Some of the votes have changed. I voted for Abi-Maria for awhile just to have a villain in there. Occasionally I switch out Shirin for Monica)

Men

Jeff Varner - Got screwed over by the old way of how ties were broken (Person who had the most votes from previous tribals).

Andrew -Also kinda screwed by the Exile Tribe twist in Pearl Islands.

Shane - So hoping he hasn't mellowed out.

Terry - Went out on a bullshit challenge

Stephen - Just because he got so soundly beaten by J.T. the first time out

Vytas - Because I need to fill a space

Woo - For the Pretty

Spencer - Because he was pretty good the first time

Max - Maybe he won't suck this time around? He knows other people's strategies? I dunno.

Mike - Because if he loses Wednesday, he's earned his second chance.

(I've voted Jeremy a few times instead of Vytas. Same with Jim. Jim though has proven to be a bit of a jerkass so I've been doing Vytas lately because I vaguely remember liking him.)

Tsylyst   

The cast officially is:

Kelly Wiglesworth
Season 1
Survivor: Borneo
Previous Finish: Runner-up

Jeff Varner
Season 2
Survivor: The Australian Outback
Previous Finish: 10th place

Kimmi Kappenberg
Season 2
Survivor: The Australian Outback
Previous Finish: 12th place

Andrew Savage
Season 7
Survivor: Pearl Islands

Terry Deitz
Season 12
Survivor: Panama
Previous Finish: 3rd place

Peih-Gee Law
Season 15
Survivor: China
Previous Finish: 5th place

Stephen Fishbach
Season 18
Survivor: Tocantins

Monica Padilla
Season 19
Survivor: Samoa
Previous Finish: 7th place

Abi-Maria Gomes
Season 25
Survivor: Philippines

Ciera Eastin
Season 27
Survivor: Blood vs. Water

Vytas Baskauskas
Season 27
Survivor: Blood vs. Water

Kass McQuillen
Season 28
Survivor: Cagayan
Previous Finish: 3rd place

Spencer Bledsoe
Season 28
Previous Finish: 4th place

Tasha Fox
Season 28
Previous Finish: 6th place

Woo Hwang
Season 28

Jeremy Collins
Season 29
Survivor: San Juan del Sur

Keith Nale
Season 29
Previous Finish: 4th place

Kelley Wentworth
Season 29
Previous Finish: 14th place

Joe Anglim
Season 30
Survivor: Worlds Apart

Shirin Oskooi
Season 30
Survivor: Worlds Apart
Previous Finish: 8th place

(This list was copied from EW.com)

The season will take place in Cambodia.

Individual threads will open as the season nears in the fall. Until then, use this thread to discuss the cast and upcoming season.

I don't hate this cast. Only thing is maybe I wish we had had Teresa instead of Kelly who really never did anything. Still, oh well, should be a fun season.

ff174   

I'm disappointed the Mikayla the Dirty Whore didn't make it. She was kind of kick ass.

Tsylyst   

I was stunned last night and still confused this morning about why people would want to see Shirin on their TV again. What about her Worlds Apart performance makes folks think she deserved a second chance? Was it just because they had to pick 10 women and she was the one left that they recognized after they got done voting for the nine they really wanted?

MrsGryn   

I would SO much rather have had Carolyn than Shirin, but also agree that Mikaylah the Temptress being left out is a bummer. Glad to see most of that crowd, though. It should be an interesting season.

Tsylyst   

I wonder if there was a perception that Carolyn might win this season since she was still in it and that a vote for her would be wasted, so people threw votes to other women (such as Shirin) instead.

I was actually voting Shirin. While she was annoying at the beginning, she was still occasionally interesting. Also, Will is terrible and I was doing it more as a vote against him. That said, mentioning that she made her first million at 25 has ensured she will not last long in the game because referring to it as your first million means you have more than one.