Hometown: Princeville, Hawaii
Connection to teammate: Married

Name: Bethany Hamilton
Hometown: Princeville, Hawaii
Connection to teammate: Married
Follow on Twitter: @bethanyhamilton

Follow on YouTube: TheBethanyHamilton

MrsGryn   

It's a great story, but I sure hope the editors don't harp on it all season. I mean, it's not like she's deaf and a giant baby.

Tsylyst   

I'm intrigued about why the PR staff chose to use a photo where she is off-center and her missing arm is cut off (no pun untended ... OK, kinda intended). All the other team photos have the team centered and all arms visible. I wonder if someone in the PR department is worried some people might be put off by the sight of her stump.

It's not like they're trying to be considerate to her by not making a big deal out of it ... it's in every promo for the show that she lost her arm. There's a movie about it, for hell's sake.

So why would they hide it in the promo photo?

MrsGryn   

I didn't even think about that, but yeah, that's kind of shady. You have this woman on the show for her story, show it in all its glory.

exhero   

Just hope she doesn't nicely give some other team help only to have them run her down to get to the mat thereby eliminating her. You know like the last team that had a member that was missing a limb.

copssister, I think if she was in the Mafia it would be considered a badge of honor. I don't know about the surfing world, but I think in the world of HT (and correct me if I'm wrong, mods) it is perfectly acceptable. At least it is in my opinion.