gforce

Donny - TAFY - Best ZING! of Christine since Boo-gate.

Donny's family seems to be against the GoFundMe site. He started a website to write about the situation and how Donny wouldn't like it either. It seems the creators of the GoFundMe for Donny don't care what the family thinks.

https://sites.google.com/site/tommythompson02/

My name is Tommy Thompson. I am Donny Thompson's brother. Donny is currently on the Big Brother show on CBS. Courtney Cavanaugh has created a site begging for people to send Donny money. Donny and I were raised by parents who taught us that we had to work to earn a living, We don't believe in taking handouts. I am disabled and I work for a living.

If anyone knows how to shut her down. I would greatly appreciate it and I know Donny would too!!!

Edited by goobie

Whoa. That is weird. I think the money thing is a little over the top but I think he is making too big a deal of it. He really laid into that girl. The examples he put didn't seem that bad, at least to me. Can't they just politely decline?

Shannon   

I didn't think a man like Donny would like that, at the very least I thought it would embarrass him, he's not dirt poor, he's just from a small community in the south, he's not dumb or a beggar. Look at how clean his parents' house is, not a spot of dust, the BB house must have driven him crazy. I think Donny would love some fan letters, but not a bag full, just some honest well wishers. I believe he played BB because he was a fan who was lucky enough to get on the show. I find it kind of insulting to raise a fund for him, I hope they send that money to a charity or help for animals, etc. They certainly owe his family a huge We are sorry.

I think they did politely decline and this stuff was the reply they got back. I think Donny will find it as insulting as his family does, after all he is very attached to his family and won't find this fund and then the insults to his family as a good thing. Too bad some have chosen to ruin his excitement about being on the show. This stuff was totally uncalled for.

Edited by Shannon

sam0920   

Stamp that! He was woefully unprepared for the realities of BB. Props to him for lasting this long.

Tsylyst   

Maybe it's because I come from country folk like Donny's family, but if some random stranger was begging money for me online and then tried to hand me a bundle of cash, I would be offended. There's pride and humility in earning your own way -- whether it's by mowing lawns as a groundskeeper or competing on a reality show to win a fat check.

ETA: Donny is earning something around $750 a week for being on BB (that was as of BB8, and I think it went up since then). There are 13 or 14 weeks to this season -- I'm not sure they count pre-show sequester. So that's around $10,000 just for reaching jury and staying the full summer.

Team America completed three tasks at $5,000 a pop for Donny, that's another $15,000. Plus I think he'll get a couple hundred dollars for whatever role they have him do on "Bold and the Beautiful" -- depending on how substantial it is, if he has a line, etc. -- because that's required by the actors union.

So he's walking away from this summer with roughly $25,000.

Does he really need someone to beg another couple grand for him online?

MrsGryn   

Thanks for the link, goob. Reading the whole thing, I think this was pretty relevant to the brother's viewpoint:

If Courtney Cavanaugh created GoFundMe site with good intentions, I appreciate the thought behind it; however, Donny would never take a handout from anyone. He is not playing Big Brother to win money. (Yes, he is trying to win, but the money is not the main goal.) He is playing Big Brother because he (and I) love the game. On Big Brother, Donny turned down a $5,000 challenge because it would have forced him to lie and caused him to hurt Zach's game. Hurting Zach's game wasn't worth $5.000. On the TV show, it showed Donny promising Zach he wouldn't vote him out; however, it failed to show Zach in the backyard telling Donny to vote him out so it wouldn't put a bigger target on his back. Then Zach asked if he could help Donny anyway. --- That's what Donny and I love about Big Brother. --- People sometimes show that they care more about others than they do the about money.

Donny has probably earned as much this summer as he normally does all year. If the news services in NC are the way they are in Texas, there's likely a web site where you can look up his salary by name. (He works for a public school, so the info is available under the freedom of information act.)

Donny's brother's reaction likely comes from assumptions that are being made about their family. People who aren't wealthy still feel a great deal of pride about what they have accomplished. He might also be really concerned about tax issues, because folks who aren't wealthy know that nothing comes for free. If his IQ really is as hight as what Donny has said, it wouldn't be surprising to find that he has trouble expressing what he really means, especially given that Donny isn't a big talker himself.

I predict that Donny will be completely perplexed about why anyone would want to give him money. After blushing considerably and saying very polite thank you's, he will likely turn it all over to Frankie for his African kids charity. And Frankie will prance around like he deserves it.

Whoa. That is weird. I think the money thing is a little over the top but I think he is making too big a deal of it. He really laid into that girl. The examples he put didn't seem that bad, at least to me. Can't they just politely decline?

They tried to politely decline, but the girl running the account just won't stop. I can easily see how Donny and his family would be completely insulted by this. People like this girl need to realize that sometimes their "nice" gestures aren't nice to the recipient and are just patronizing.

demgirl   

If Donny's that offended by it, he can give the money to a charity of his choice. This is the danger of going on reality television. People might end up hating you. You might lose your job. You might get heckled in the streets. You might get insane death threats from crazy people who take reality television way to seriously. Conversely, you may be beloved and end up with an unauthorized Gofundme campaign that makes your family feel uncomfortable. I don't really want to hear you (the reality television star) or your family whine about it either way.

His brother should just chillax, honestly, because it's probably being done with the best of intentions and allow Donny to figure out how to handle it when he leaves the house. A simple, "We didn't ask for this and it wasn't endorsed by us" is sufficient, I think, instead of going out of your way to make people feel bad for wanting to contribute because they like your brother. I figure if people are going to Kickstart potato salad, I'd prefer to see the money go to Donny over something like that, I guess. Or to charity. Or to me.

Edited by demgirl

The weird part I was referring to was this.

This site is slandering Donny's entire family, which includes Donny. Below are a couple examples of Courtney Cavanaugh's followers that bash the Thompson name. She's becoming like a cult leader that knows how to turn people against people that love God and believe in God's word.

Courtney Cavanaugh allows people to post things that slanders Donny's family. Courtney Cavanaugh has become obsessed with someone on a game and she wants people to send money to her obsession. She apparently don't know much about how Donny and his family believe deeply in 1 Timothy 6:10.

I am fully on board with them being upset about the whole thing. But all that stuff is incredibly strange and makes me think differently about Donny. I wouldn't be a fan of Donny anymore if he was like his brother. Calling her a cult leader? What the hell? There was no reason to include any of that in this letter. You think she is going to stop after insulting her? It's not the way to go. And it's really weird.

I agree that his brother seems to be going a bit over the top with his description of this Courtney woman. We get it; you don't like it. I'm not sure calling her a cult like leader is the way to go. He did mention something about personal emails that he was saving for Donny to see so I'm guessing that maybe she doesn't come off so good there.

I can see this whole thing making Donny extremely uncomfortable, but I agree that he will respond the way CripesAlmighty described. He'll be embarrassed and will awe shucks it and then later will be asking what the hell do I do with this. He's not going to want to keep it, but he's not going to want to make his fans feel bad either by rejecting it. I sure hope if he goes the charity route, he goes with something near and dear to him and doesn't feel like he has to give it to Frankie's charity because of Frankie's antics in the house. Because, honestly, I don't think Frankie intends to give all of his winnings to that charity if he wins. I think he will give a portion of it to show that he's not a complete douche bag and then he'll spit out some line about how it was part of his game play, all's fair blah blah blah, it's not his fault if the HGs couldn't tell he was working them, and he will do all this with one of his stupid ass exaggerated eye winks like those of us at home were in on the joke with him.

I was raised very poor and I know this kind of thing would've made me cringe. I was also raised to not take handouts and to work my ass off for what I want in life. This seems to be the case with Donny's family, too. The working for their money thing, not so much the poor thing. I don't see Donny liking this at all.

Shannon   

Frankie has never said he was going to give it all to charity, he said if he won the 500,000 he was giving 100,000 to this charity that he makes out to be schools for poor African children, when in fact if you look it up, it's a school that teaches some basic music/dance and has some sort of lifestyle type lecturing. He never said he was giving all his money to charity at all, he didn't even say he was giving any money unless he won the half million. I'm not saying that if he gave this charity 100,000 that it wouldn't give some music fun to these kids, but this whole idea of Frankie giving money has gotten way out of hand, like the game telephone, where it grows the more it's told. Plus he acts like he's involved with it, and he was at one time but I don't know how involved, but he's not an active member now.

Donny's family reminds me of a lot of families I knew in Southwest Missouri, when I lived there. They are hard working, proud but not pompous, give you the shirt off their backs, but be insulted if you thought they needed your charity. Charity was for those suffering hard times, not just because they are country folks. We don't know what kind of emails this woman was sending Donny's family but it would seem that they were pretty nasty, like Donny wouldn't agree with his family, like his family had no right to even say anything. I would bet the farm that Donny will be embarrassed about the fund money but mad as an old wet hen about anything nasty said about his family, and to have it being said online. I do not know what he will say in public, but like I said before, this kind of shit will ruin this joy at the game he got to be on, his brother getting to watch him, they love this show, and here some Miss who thinks she knows Donny, is insulting his family. These kind of families are tight, all she's going to do is hurt Donny by hurting his family. It's a shame they didn't back off when asked to.

I don't know why, but for some odd reason I sorta get the vibe that this is Donny's brother's attempt to get his own moment in the sun. I kinda get the feeling that Tommy just wants to step out from Donny's shadow for a bit. I could be wrong. . .

JunkTV   

I think Donny's brother is a little over the top here. The site was not begging for money but set up for those people that had set up a fan page for Donny and wanted to donate. I can tell from the families position they believe this girl is asking for a handout but I don't think it was set up so much as a handout but more so as a reward. I think Donny may very well be embarrassed his brother reacted this way. He would know how to gracious donate it to a charity if he decided he shouldn't take it.

DisneyPro - I agree there was a little too much I in Tommy's statements that made it come across as more about him than Donny.

Several years ago, some of my co-workers and I took up a collection for another co-worker who had breast cancer and had to be out of work for an extended period of time. When her best friend found out, she let us know that she would be very embarrassed to receive money. As an alternative, she suggested that we bring meals and offer to help with housework. We immediately donated the money to a breast cancer charity in her name and took her friend's suggestion.

The point of my story is, as soon as Donny's brother asked them to stop, they should have. If the person who started up the fundraiser had been as gracious as her hero, Donny, it would not have turned into such a mess.