Sign in to follow this  
MrsGryn

Mark and Mallory - Kentucky strangers

Mr elizabethann almost died of pancreatitis 10 years ago and still has health issues because of it, so my heart broke for Bopper. He is most certainly in a lot of pain and possibly will or has developed diabetes. Sorry, but I can't snark on this.

Tsylyst   

The only thing worse than a Bopper on my screen is a Mallory.

My ears...MY EARS!!!

I was giddy with the prospect that Team Kentucky would be out completely and I wouldn't have to try and decipher their Judd-speak. Then Phil whipped out Mallory, and I screamed (literally, out loud) "NOOOOO!!!"

ff174   

I like Mallory! She's perky!

I like her too. And, I can't explain it. Usually that kind of over-exuberance seems forced and fake and drives me crazy.. With Mallory, it is seems real.

demgirl   

If you insist on going back for a backpack full of clothes when you're racing for a million dollars, you probably (definitely) deserve to be eliminated.

Magpie   

Exactly!

Nothing was said about his passport being in the backpack, and Mallory said she had his meds, so he was worried about clean undies? Back in the olden days, Phil used to regularly mug the teams that came in last, for fuck's sake, and Mallory told him that the other teams would help but he wouldn't listen.

And I hate that I have to support Mallory because I want to tell her to shut up, but…Shut up, Mark!

MrsGryn   

I was still sad when they were eliminated but really: Keep everything vital in the Amazing Fannypack and have stuff in the backpack you can abandon in a moment.

The issue for Mark is that he is not a wealthy guy and thus cannot be cavalier about his stuff the way Mallory can. That's a lifelong mindset and hard to put aside, even in this circumstance. What annoyed the crap out of me was the arguing going on. Mallory should have stopped putting up a fuss and just said, okay let's go get it and then move on to the next task. I don't know how much of that arguing I could have put up with for the rest of the season.

Thanks for explaining Mark’s perspective MrsG. And I do understand and have argued for the position of contestants not bringing things to the comp that you would regret losing. However, having experienced long stretches of unemployment when things I took for granted became difficult to replace, I was totally on his side of things. I really truly believe Mark has little-to-nothing that he would consider easily disposable, and at least I don’t have pilling medical bills like he and Bopper seem to be dealing with. For all their sob story background, at least Mark and Bopper don’t seem the type to go begging like the blondes did for the x-pass.

Also remember that when Mark was toting the electric kiddie car across his back, he was open captioned as saying “Don’t forget my backpack” to which she agreed. But apparently she didn’t think to follow through on that request as he was packing the car into the taxi. So anything she said after protesting “It’s not my fault!” was just deflecting and putting everything on Mark. Even her “Just blame me” rang hollow, especially when attached to “People with give you clothes” and “I’ll buy you clothes”. It felt to me as if she saw herself as somehow Mark’s rescuer and he wasn’t appreciating her for it—even in the exit confessional.

Considering how all the teams ended up bunched up for the hacky feather thing challenge, Mallory digging in her heals and being dismissive of Mark’s perspective accomplished nothing but deflate any momentum they might have had.

So, technically Mallory was “right” in terms of long-term race strategy considering she kept their passports and Mark’s meds in her fanny pack, but the way she chose to express it was detrimental to their impromptu thrown-together team relationship.

Still, I can’t honestly say I’m overly sorry to see them go this early. But moreso because “Shut up, Mallory!” than anything on Mark’s end.

Tsylyst   

I will happily delete this episode from my DVR without watching it after reading Trop's excellent recap and the comments in here. Because who needs more "Shut Up, Mallory!" in their life when you have the option of ... not.

And because I don't care much about anyone's personal problems if they've chosen to famewhore themselves out on national television, good riddance to Mark, too.